PDA

View Full Version : Taco Bell or Taco Time

Shitoryu Dude
22nd July 2003, 04:35
I love Mexican food. Just love it. Lived on the border and got a taste for the real stuff, but Americanized fast food versions are yummy too. Except Taco Time. The stuff tastes like dirt and just sits in your mouth like a wad of chewed up insulation covered with rat turds.

Taco Time must die. Soon.

What do you think?

:toast:

A. M. Jauregui
22nd July 2003, 05:47
Acapulco, Border Grill, El Portal. King Taco, Amigo's, and Madre's are on the upper end of my list wide ranging list. (Note that some of the ones that I listed are not necessarily “fast food” but quick and inexpensive nonetheless so much as that I have included them there.)

But out of the ones that you listed I would have to say that the order of my preference would be: Seafood Tacos (Rubio's, Taco del Mar, etc) then Taco Bell. All of the others are general options or without local establishments...

Shitoryu Dude
22nd July 2003, 06:14
I had my first visit to Rubio's a couple of months ago when down in Orange County on business - omygod!! Lobster burittos and fish tacos - almost like having sex it was so good. Had to stop myself from gorging. Felt like Homer Simpson seeing a box of donuts next to a pitcher of beer.

:beer:

the hitokiri
22nd July 2003, 06:14
if you are ever in a city that has a 'Fins' you gotta try out their fish tacos. Yummy! luckily for me, there is one that is a few minutes away.

G. Zepeda
22nd July 2003, 14:30
Ugh, they all sound like crap. We don't have half of those chains down here, they don't last long without corporate subsidies. We are already aware that the food offered by these places IS NOT real, or authentic Mexican food.
Mi Nidito, Guillermo's LL, Micha's, La Parrilla Suiza; some of the best Mexican food in the country is found in my burg...
That is REAL Meztizo-fare, only the gringos around here eat at Taco Bell, or even Rubio's. We have semi-authentic Mexican fast food for that 3 A.M. craving. Places like Nico's, Los Beto's, and Diego's are all open 24/7 and offer delectable dishes with actual Spanish names!
Of course, you can't get good fish or shrimp tacos in the desert, so I can't be to proud, but the beef, pork, and goat birria is to die for!

--Gil Zepeda, Black belt in Mexican Judo: "Ju-do know if I gotta gun, Ju-do know if I gotta knife.."

Shitoryu Dude
22nd July 2003, 20:22
I wouldn't even bother to call most of the fast food as Mexican - its inspired by real mexican food. Rubio's claims its food is authentic and it certainly tastes that way from what I remember from being stationed down on the Rio Grande at Del Rio, Texas. We used to drive across the bridge into Mexico to eat at this place that was nothing more than a converted house. Commonly we would be the only gringos in the place and the food was kick-ass. There was also a bar on the hwy that served up authentic pork burritos for a half dollar each. We'd take orders for 40 of them at a shot for a poker game, and they never lasted more than a few minutes.

Up here in Seattle there is only one or two places that serve authentic Mexican food. That is very odd when you consider that the place has a rather sizable hispanic population.

avehnor
22nd July 2003, 22:04
you who love authentic mexican food would be sorely disappointed in redding. while we do have some "authentic" mexican food, we also boast 3-4 taco bell's, a del taco, two jimboy's taco's, and some local small fast food places. :(

as far as fast mexican food... in town, taco den is the best. it's locally owned and they're also vegeterian friendly. :)

G. Zepeda
23rd July 2003, 14:07
Yes, sort of like Star Wars "inspired" that chubby kid to swing his staff around. Both endeavors hit roughly the same mark. Taco Hell and it's evil offspring have become their own category of food. That does strike me as strange...Though, it almost seems like some sort of latitudinal point beyond which all "Mexican" food sucks. I believe it lies somewhere just North of Albequerque. I didn't enjoy the Mexican food in Denver to much, of course I could have been in the wrong place. Mexican food is just as regional as U.S. food. The stuff in Mexico City differs from Sonoran or Michoacan cuisine. That's why Mexican food can range widely even in the same city.
Dude, is the Mexican food very expensive up Seattle way?

Shitoryu Dude
23rd July 2003, 14:28
More expensensive than it was in Texas, but certainly cheaper than steaks or sushi. Sort of like going to Applebee's.

Denver sucked for Mexican food, though there was a decent place in Longmont and another one in Westminster.

I think one of the things that makes commmercialized Mexican fast food suck so bad is the gringo version of what passes for the sauces. Haff the time I swear it is a jar of Ragu with a couple of jalepenos tossed in - either that or they chopped up a tomato and added parsely :laugh: It has none of the fire or flavor of the real stuff.

monkeyboy_ssj
23rd July 2003, 14:29
When i was in LA i went to mexican place called "Bahjah Fresh" well that's what i think it was called, that was nice! Also next to it was a chinese one called "Panda Express" which was also alright.

In England you get nothing like that, we've got all the burger joints but we have Kabab shops that do chips (french fries to others) fried chicken and sometimes pizza and curries.

It's like the great Fish & Chips, it doesn't taste good unless your eatting it in England ;)

i wish we had as much Fast Food like you guys do. :cry:

I prefer going down the Raaj Doot for a Curry ^____^

larsen_huw
23rd July 2003, 14:56
Kebabs are a magical food.

Normally they seem like expensive, undercooked roadkill that's been left to rot on a skewer with flies buzzing round it, with rocket fuel for chilli sauce, served by a fat, smelly foreigner who's grasp of english is non-existant, and who's idea of hygene is greeting his cousin ("Hi, Gene.").

BUT! ...

Given an appropriate amount of alcohol, they mutate into a wonderful meaty snack that fills you up, served with a lightly spiced relish by a charming man for a reasonable price.

If that's not magic, i dunno what is!

Do you guys elsewhere in the world have kebab shops? If not you're missing out ... or maybe not! :D

Shitoryu Dude
23rd July 2003, 17:16
Kebab is something you grill for yourself over here. You certainly aren't going to find it selling on the street corners like Starbucks. That said, I don't think most people in the US really know how to make a good greasy/yummy kebab. Got a good recipe?

monkeyboy_ssj
23rd July 2003, 17:55
English kabab recipe

- 1 Roadkill or dead Dalmation
- 3 week old salad
- Lots of Chili sauce (Chili sauce boss?)
- A flat loaf of bread i.e. we'll call it a Pitta
- 5 onions

Ask "Donna uo Shisss?"

Get the 'Meat' and cook on a low heat for about 36 hours until tough and greasy, make sure that you have got aa apperon that has not been washed for a couple of years and wipe your hands on it before handling the meat.

Pick of flies from Salad and scrape mould off 'Pitta' bread. Shuve too much onion in the bottom and lay the leather, i mean meat inside.
smuther with Floor Salad and then ask "Chili sauce Boss?" and put loads of Chili sauce on it.

And Vwaa-la! Kabab!

Shitoryu Dude
23rd July 2003, 18:13
Ahh - souvlaki!! Also known as a gyro sandwich. You can get good ones in Crete and Santorini.

When you said kebab that means meat on a skewer in the US.

A. M. Jauregui
23rd July 2003, 22:26
Originally posted by monkeyboy_ssj
When i was in LA i went to mexican place called "Bahjah Fresh" well that's what i think it was called, that was nice! Also next to it was a chinese one called "Panda Express" which was also alright.

Viva Fresh while looking shoddier is quite a bit tastier then the still delectable Baja Fresh. (I knew the family that created the Panda restaurants :up: .)

Originally posted by monkeyboy_ssj
In England you get nothing like that, we've got all the burger joints but we have Kabab shops that do chips (french fries to others) fried chicken and sometimes pizza and curries.

There was one kabob shop in Glendale (a few towns over) that was really good. Sadly when the owner died and the shop was sold the kabobs went straight to hell and the business soon followed.

larsen_huw
24th July 2003, 09:23
Just like last night's kebab when you go to the toilet the next day, i have come back to haunt you, and impart some of my limited knowledge! :D

Over here Kebabs are a general term, they can mean either Donner Kebabs (what Harvey called Souvlaki) or Shish kebabs (on a skewer).

However, it can usually be assumed that if the word Kebab is said on its own, it's referring to Donner Kebabs.

Matt's recipe was almost right, but he forgot to mention that in the absence of roadkill/dead dog, whatever was hauled from the traps last night will do. And if you run out of 'chicken' every good kebab shop should remember that Pigeon is a very plentiful and cheap (i.e. free) aalternative.