PDA

View Full Version : Koryu Bujutsu / Gendai Budo Demo's / Expo's in Nov-2003

JamesF
22nd July 2003, 05:09
Hi,

I'm going to be in Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto etc) from Nov-01 to Nov-14 this year.

Would love to be able to go along and see some traditional arts being demo'd or just some sort of festival with traditional armour etc.

Anything would be great - empty hand (Jujutsu etc), weapons (Naginata, Yari, Sword etc). Or maybe some Ninjutsu (spelling ??)

Does anyone know of anything?

May be my only ever trip so if it's there would love to see it.

Basically - anything that you guys/gals would like to go along to, i'm there 101% :D

Thanks a lot for any help you have

Amir
22nd July 2003, 13:34
I know there is an anual meeting of my system - Korindo Aikido in those dates. I wish I could be there.

Amir

hyaku
23rd July 2003, 00:27
If you can hop on a train down to Hiroshima and go to Miyajima Island, the Nohon Kobudo Kyokai has its Ho-on Embu Taikai. Its usually the third weekend (Sunday)

Hyakutake Colin

P Goldsbury
23rd July 2003, 00:59
Originally posted by hyaku
If you can hop on a train down to Hiroshima and go to Miyajima Island, the Nohon Kobudo Kyokai has its Ho-on Embu Taikai. Its usually the third weekend (Sunday)

Hyakutake Colin

I can vouch for this. It is well worth attending, if only to see jujutsu ukemi practised on wooden floors, of course, without tatami. The embu take place in the main shrine, overlooking the sea. If you buy a Japan Rail Pass before you leave, you will be able to travel right to Miyajima (on the JR ferry) using the pass. The Japan Rail Pass is one of the very few bargains available to foreign tourists here, but you cannot buy one in Japan.

Best regards,

PAG

cybermaai
23rd July 2003, 01:14
On November 3rd at Meiji Jingu shrine in Tokyo there will be a koryu/martial arts demo going throughout the day.

JamesF
23rd July 2003, 07:47
Thanks for the quick replies...much appreciated.

If you could give me a little moire info on them all that'd be great. The Meiji Jingu shrine koryu/martial arts demo sounds like it'd be great to see (isn't that a public holiday?)

Thanks again

Can't wait to get there now :D :D

cybermaai
25th July 2003, 02:49
November 3rd is Culture Day. Go see some by going to Yoyogi park. The grounds are huge but you should be able to find it by entering from Harajuku station, and wandering over toward the left. It isn't at the shrine proper, which will be straight ahead. You will no doubt see the track that will later be used for Yabusame horseback archery.

Enjoy,

JamesF
25th July 2003, 03:08
Thanks again Ted, can i have a chat with you about this offline?

If you don't mind email me at jimmy_fatwing{at}yahoo.com

Thanks

James

Jon Braeley
28th July 2003, 20:46
I believe that also on November 3rd, it is the 51st All Japan Kendo Championships in Tokyo.
This would be something to watch!

JamesF
15th November 2003, 02:22
I went along to the Meiji-Jingu on the 3rd and it was great - i'm sure i missed lots but what i was lucky enough to see was a real treat!

Thank You for letting me have the info that enabled me to go along guys!

As a side note, the History Channel were there doing some filming so keep your eyes on the tv listings boys & girls!!