PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Guidance

Budojin
22nd July 2003, 23:14
Greetings,
I have been practicing Kendo and Naginata for about 15 years, and during this introductory phase of my training I have ardently trained, meditated and studied in an effort to improve myself not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. In particular I have trained hard to develop my Zanshin and Ki (and therefore Kiai). The result I have observed over the years is that both attributes appeared to increase, sometimes allowing me to defeat opponents whom were better than myself physically (stronger, faster, etc.). I have tried very hard to practice with a resolute mindset that what I was doing was life and death and that I was prepared to die if necessary…..
OK, OK enough banter, my issue at hand.
At a recent seminar I was told by a Sensei (Kyoshi) that I respect very deeply that while my kata was “technically” correct (Kihon and Ma’ai) that it lacked logic because I was “too strong”. I.E. My Zanshin and Ki were so overpowering that it made no sense for my partner to attack me. I was told that I needed to now learn how to “control” my Zanshin and Ki. I am VERY confused by this but am trying hard to better understand and practice the advice offered. I am interested to hear any thoughts or observations you respected gentlemen might have to offer. I am eager to learn as I am still quite new in walking this path I have chosen.

Respectfully,

Kevin Saxton

Walker
23rd July 2003, 02:02
Originally posted by Budojin
OK, OK enough banter, my issue at hand.
At a recent seminar I was told by a Sensei (Kyoshi) that I respect very deeply that while my kata was “technically” correct (Kihon and Ma’ai) that it lacked logic because I was “too strong”. I.E. My Zanshin and Ki were so overpowering that it made no sense for my partner to attack me. I was told that I needed to now learn how to “control” my Zanshin and Ki. I am VERY confused by this but am trying hard to better understand and practice the advice offered. Kevin,

I’m sorry I don’t have any direct advise other than the all important question, “How?”

When confronted by obtuse “advise” from sensei always have this handy question at the ready.

Joseph Svinth
23rd July 2003, 03:50
Most likely, he's playing a head game, trying to make you doubt yourself. Looks like he's succeeded, too.

John Lindsey
23rd July 2003, 04:19
Please do not post multiple copies of the same message. I moved your original message to the Budo no Kokoro forum from the lounge.

Thanks!