PDA

View Full Version : Team Sports

Mike Williams
24th July 2003, 13:18
Inspired by the "Formidable British Force" thread, here is my list of team sports in descending order of manliness:

Rugby Union
Rugby League
Hurling
Gaelic Football
Aussie Rules Football
Ice Hockey
Kabbadi
American Football
Field Hockey
Water Polo
Basketball
Volleyball
Lacrosse
Netball
Rounders
Football (soccer)
Cricket
Baseball

:p

Cheers,

Mike

larsen_huw
24th July 2003, 13:29
Mike,

I agree with most of what you say,

BUT

Aussie Rules (what rules! it's a fight with a rugby ball in it!) should be higher ... i'd put it between Union and League.

American Football should be lower .... look at all the padding and rules! Maybe between Basketball and Volleyball.

Lacrosse is a dangerous game ... waving those sticks round at head height is asking for pain! At least in the Brit version where they don't wear any protective clothing ... except short skirts (yummy schoolgirls!), the american version is a different story. But i dunno if you can count a field full of schoolgirls in short gym skirts "manly"!

You missed Dommino's! I'd put it just above cricket! :D

What about regular polo? Manly or not? I'd say not, but i'm anti-poshist!

Can tell you're a Southerner born and bred, otherwise Leage would of taken precidence over Union!

Rogier
24th July 2003, 13:45
field hockey????? that's a girly thing... (love those girls in short skirts though...)

monkeyboy_ssj
24th July 2003, 13:52
BuzKashi - the most dangerous team game in the world.

http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p1944.htm

Carcuss grabbing on horse back at it's best ^_^

meat
24th July 2003, 13:55
Ugh. Man I'm an Australian and i say flat out, Aussie Rules should be at the bottom of the list. Far from being a fight with a rugby ball, you never EVER see a punch thrown. The most you get is some girly grabbing. And don't even get me started on the tightness of their shorts. I definately think ice hockey should be higher on the list.

larsen_huw
24th July 2003, 14:04
Fair enough,

did it used to be quite rough? The only footage i've seen of it is quite old, and it looked rough! Judging from the haircuts, the footage dated from late 70s, early 80s sort of period. Or are mullets still in fashion over there? :D

Mike Williams
24th July 2003, 14:05
Originally posted by meat
you never EVER see a punch thrown. The most you get is some girly grabbing. And don't even get me started on the tightness of their shorts. I definately think ice hockey should be higher on the list.

Agreed. Ice Hockey is now officially higher than Aussie rules. I had forgotten about those tight shorts = instant demotion.

Cheers,

Mike

PS: Huw, I'm a Cardiff boyo - hence Union before League...

larsen_huw
24th July 2003, 14:11
Well the land of my father (vague pun on the anthem) is Swansea, so i was bought up on heroic tales of the Welsh teams of the late 70's. 5 nations is still an interesting time, i support the country of my birth (England) and my dad's a born and bred Welshman.

We've never hit each other (yet!) during the annual clash of the titans ... or titan vs washed up ex-newzealanders as it now seems to be! :D

1 of my earliest rugby memories was watchng the 10-9 Wales win over England in the early 90's (94 maybe?) in a welsh pub. I was about 10. The roar from the pissed welshmen at the final whistle is still 1 of the loudest things i've ever heard.

meat
26th July 2003, 04:19
Judging from the haircuts, the footage dated from late 70s, early 80s sort of period. Or are mullets still in fashion over there?

*Shudders* What can I say, the dreaded mullet was a dark period of Aussie history. Not too sure about the older games, possibly there was a bit of biffo going on back then, but nowadays, all they do is grab each others jerseys.

Julian Gerhart
26th July 2003, 06:23
dude, you forgot to put "ultimate frisbee" on your list, its the most manly game of all. played full contact that is. ;)