PDA

View Full Version : Bout time for a scotch thread.......

Steve Williams
25th July 2003, 21:41
Just cracked open a bottle of Arbelour :D

Steve Williams
25th July 2003, 21:42
Still got a bottle of Glenfiddich (18yo) on the go as well ;)

Steve Williams
25th July 2003, 21:42
Just having a "mini taste test" :D

BigJon
25th July 2003, 22:30
The two mentioned are excellent! Oban is a favorite of mine...For "Across the sea" whiskeys(From you)...Jameson is a fine choice, Tullamore, and Paddy arent bad either.

Jon Gillespie

Neil Yamamoto
26th July 2003, 03:01
Just cracked a bottle of Ardbeg 10 year old. For those who like Islay whiskies, give this a shot. Heavy rich aroma, peat smoke, sherry background, some hidden sweetness which pops out in the finish with more smoke and warmth.

Did a side by side taste with some Ardbeg 17. The 17 is so much more well balanced, smoother in nose and taste than the 10. Course it is twice the price.

The 10 is great, but just needs more time to improve and 17 is near perfect to my taste buds.

Off to meet some friends.

Chuck.Gordon
26th July 2003, 09:56
Copped two bottles a couple weeks ago, knowing we had houseguests coming. Glendronach 12 and Scapa 15.

Dandy, that.

Chuck

Steve Williams
26th July 2003, 22:38
The Glenfiddich is better......

And I used to love Aberlour......

Its good, but the Glenfiddich (18yo) pips it ;)
Had a Glenfiddich 15yo, and that was not so good...... Some single malts do taste better with age....

Ben Bartlett
28th July 2003, 16:47
Lately I've been drinking Macallan Cask Strength, which is great if, like me, you like your Scotch straight. Leaves a nice fire in the belly.

Usually, though, I prefer single malts from Islay or Skye, with the Lagavulin aged 16 years being a personal favorite of mine.

Kimpatsu
10th August 2003, 15:26
Just finished a bottle of Jameson's.
Steve Sensei is welcome to join me in the next Taste Fest...

Jay Bell
10th August 2003, 15:41
Glenfiddich Solera Reserve and Ancient Reserve...yum. If the bonus check comes in, Glenfiddich 30yr is incredible. Ever seen Glenfiddich 50yr....that'll set you back about $12K...one day ;) The small little ounce bottles in airplanes can go for about $350, straight from the distillary. Glenfiddich Cask is good...but will hit you like a maul.

Glenlivet is good stuff...great on the pocket book also.

Highland Park is good...but being from Orkney, it's got a serious bite to it. Not bad for a toddy.

Johnny Black I'm a fan of. Blended, but a solid scotch. Johnny Red...well...I guess it's alright if shots are to be done. Johnny Gold - HORRIBLY over-rated, in my opinion. For the price, just not worth it. Johnny Blue - Great stuff, even as a blend. If you folks are lucky enough to *not* live in the U.S., I'd recommend Johnny Green. Had it in Canada while I was visiting...it's Walker's single malt and quite good. Unfortunately, it's not imported into the U.S.

Macallan 1980 is wonderful stuff, Oban 30yr.

Irish? Jameson is a great shot-between-beers (Irish Car Bomb anyone?). I'm also pretty fond of Black Bush and Jameson Cask.

"Never have whiskey without water. Never have water without whiskey"
~Scottish Proverb

Kimpatsu
10th August 2003, 16:32
My parents live within a caber toss of the Glen Morangie distillery in Tain. Highland single malt, anyone...?

Jay Bell
10th August 2003, 18:10
I personally *love* Glenmorangie 18yr...good stuff

Daishi
10th August 2003, 20:16
Just opened a bottle of 10 yr Laphroaig....oh does it have a rich taste...not sure if I like it alot or hate it alot yet...

Dale Heisler

Steve Williams
11th August 2003, 21:22
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Just finished a bottle of Jameson's.
Steve Sensei is welcome to join me in the next Taste Fest...

I'll take you up on that next time I am in Japan :D

Scotch, not beer..... ;)

Steve Williams
11th August 2003, 21:26
Originally posted by Daishi
Just opened a bottle of 10 yr Laphroaig....oh does it have a rich taste...not sure if I like it alot or hate it alot yet...

Dale Heisler

Laphroaig and Lgavulin are my current favorite single malts......

They have "character" ;) :D

Daishi
11th August 2003, 23:59
I have decided I do like Laphroaig, but I'm still more of a fan of slightly smoother types, i.e Glenfiddich 12yr and Glenlivet.

Dale Heisler

Kimpatsu
12th August 2003, 02:44
Originally posted by Steve Williams
I'll take you up on that next time I am in Japan :D
Scotch, not beer..... ;)
Jameson's is Irish whiskey, not Scotch... :toast: :beer:

PaulP
13th August 2003, 01:35
I am very fond of single malt scotch, but this month in my Fathers memory I’m drinking Bourbon. Wild Turkey Rare Breed. His favorite was Old Crow but I can’t find it. So this will have to do. It’s followed with a Guinness chaser. If you can please raise a glass to Albert Paquette my father. Thanks to all.

Steve Williams
13th August 2003, 17:41
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Jameson's is Irish whiskey, not Scotch... :toast: :beer:

I know..... but I am a fan of Scotch, and as you are buying...... ;)

See the other Whiskey threads for more of my "drunken rambling" :D

Kimpatsu
17th August 2003, 10:17
I know..... but I am a fan of Scotch, and as you are buying...... ;)
Touché

See the other Whiskey threads for more of my "drunken rambling" :D
But Sensei, I can't tell when you're drunk and when you're sober from these threads... :toast:
(I know the icon's a beer, but there is no whiskey icon...)

Gene Williams
17th August 2003, 10:53
A student of mine, who doesn't understand Scotch, brought me a bottle of Teacher's back from England...a litre. I put it on the shelf to give to guests. I like Lagavulin and Macallan. The cask strength is good, but 18 is near perfect. Lagavulin is what they serve in Paradise...except to Kehoe, who will be drinking brimstone cocktails:redhot:

Kimpatsu
17th August 2003, 11:02
No, Gene. I will be drinking Irish Whiskey and Guinness. :beer:
Your drinks, however, will be flavoured with cyanide... :D

JakobR
12th September 2003, 21:29
Glenlivet 12 years! Finally a scotch single malt that doesn't taste like an old ashtray. Thank you for the recommendation! :D

Gene Williams
12th September 2003, 21:39
I drink Macallan and Lagavulin, but the store where I buy them was out so I bought a bottle of Glen Livet 12. I never put ice in single malt, but I put ice in the Glen Livet...treated it just like a blend! I guess I just like the stuff with sticks in it. Gene

Jay Bell
12th September 2003, 21:44
Irish Whiskey? Black Bush is goooood ;)

Gene Williams
12th September 2003, 22:06
I also like Blonde Bush and Red Bush...:D

Jay Bell
12th September 2003, 22:52
*chuckle* Somebody HAD to say it.... :D

JakobR
13th September 2003, 07:24
Originally posted by Gene Williams
I guess I just like the stuff with sticks in it Yeah, yeah, tought guys prefer those brands that the rest of us only force ourselves to drink. If you force yourself hard enough and for a long time you will problably start to like the taste of ashtray. But what's the point of ruining your taste-buds in the first place, when there are so many brands that taste good from the beginning?:confused:

Gene Williams
13th September 2003, 10:16
When I'm feeling all touchy feely, I like Dalwhinnie:p