PDA

View Full Version : French Martial artist arrested in Japan over molestation charge

John Lindsey
27th July 2003, 04:46
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20030727wo22.htm

Yomiuri Shimbun

A 43-year-old French martial artist was arrested on suspicion of touching a female student's breasts during a karate lesson last year in Matsudo, Chiba Prefecture, police said Saturday.

According to the police, Rault Patrick, a French karate practitioner who runs a karate school in the city, allegedly sexually harassed the student in early August last year at a youth center in the city while teaching her groundwork techniques aimed at fending off molesters.

The police said the student told them about the molestation, and that they subsequently learned that several other women were similarly molested by the teacher.

Patrick came to Japan in 1985 and studied karate in Okinawa Prefecture. Since moving to Matsudo, he has taught karate to teenagers and homemakers since 1991, and established the Zen Sekai Shorinryu Karate Do Bunbukan hall in 2000.

Patrick, who has lectured on Japanese culture and martial arts in France, Britain and other countries, was registered as a one-year "cultural ambassador" by the city's international association from August 2001

John Lindsey
27th July 2003, 04:53
Here is an earlier interview with Patrick before this "problem" occured:

http://www.miea.or.jp/kaiinsyoukai/2001taishi/rault/rault_e.htm

Tripitaka of AA
29th July 2003, 10:54
Looks like Gary Oldman to me:eek:

He likes it when his students come up and give him a hug after class. Hhmmmmm!

hyaku
29th July 2003, 23:06
Shouldnt really comment but I had to laugh at this .

IÕm careful about my diet and posture.Ê Also I try to be positive.Ê Japanese food is good for the health.Ê I love chanko-nabe, shabu-shabu, and tempura.

Sounds like he is on a Sumo diet!

I'm only jealous. If I ate that all the time I would blow up like a balloon.

Hyakutake Colin

fightingmonk
5th August 2003, 23:59
Patrick is a gentleman, an example to others, highly regarded by his students. This incident will undoubtedly prove to be an error on the part of the young lady involved. It is very unfortunate that this has occured. I wish him strength in this time of trial.

Troll Basher
1st September 2003, 09:35
I actually know Patrick and several of his students from the annual Budo Seminar held at the Budo Daigaku in Chiba. I can?ft say as I am a big fan of his since he is rather arrogant (can?ft be helped...he?fs French) and runs his school more like a cult than a martial arts dojo. But I do know that he was/is serious about training.
From what I have heard other female students have come forward with similar claims which will not make his case in court any easier.
Japanese jails have no ?gbond?h system so I imagine he will have to remain in jail until he is set free one way or another. As for the charges against him I never saw Patrick do anything that would suggest he is capable of such an act.

fightingmonk
2nd September 2003, 00:35
Patrick was fortunately released from jail and all charges have been dropped. There was insufficient evidence and the young lady's statements were very dubious. (She is apparently receiving psychiatric treatment at a hospital, so has some 'history'.)
The policeman in charge of the case was very supportive of Patrick.
Unfortunately, Patrick has decided to return to France. I wish him all the best there.

Mekugi
2nd September 2003, 03:40
I would have gone home too- well I wouldn't have gone to France even if that was my home, but I would have been pissed off and left. I think the only reason he was fingered was perhaps due to the fact he is a foreigner. Sexual harassment seems to be as common in Japan as a handshake, so even if he was "guilty" he really isn't doing anything other than acting Japanese (or at least doing no more than that), which I guess isn't appreciated here unless it is conspired by someone who is actually Japanese.

-R

Originally posted by fightingmonk
Patrick was fortunately released from jail and all charges have been dropped. There was insufficient evidence and the young lady's statements were very dubious. (She is apparently receiving psychiatric treatment at a hospital, so has some 'history'.)
Unfortunately, Patrick has decided to return to France. I wish him all the best there.

Troll Basher
2nd September 2003, 08:20

Well that is good news that the charges were dropped.
Patrick and I don't alwats see eye to eye on somethings but I could never imagine him being a "perv".

Mekugi
2nd September 2003, 09:24

Whatever happened to the other female students coming forward? Was that all rumor?

fightingmonk
3rd September 2003, 00:00
Apparently so.