PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum cookware causes Alzheimer's - hoax or fact?

Cody
27th July 2003, 09:38
On a recent aikido retreat, a health-concious, pragnent senior student and I were the desinated cook. In our retreat cabin, almost all the cookwares are aluminum. A little upset, she told me, "don't you know that aluminum cookware cause Alzhimer's?"

I was a little taken aback, since most of my camping cookwares are aluminum and nobody ever told me that! I did a search online, and the opinion on the subject seem to conflict.

So what do you guys think? Is it just a hoax? Or do you think the brain really readily absorbs aluminum from cookware?

-Cody

koma
27th July 2003, 12:19
This info has been around a long time! I don't know if it's true or not.
A long time ago when the earth was green,(the 60s), my parents got hooked into stainless steel cookware. They used to have dinner parties9the forerunners of the infomercial!!!) where the guests would be told stories of the evils of aluminum and copper in cookware by a doctor(?), who had become a salesman for a stainless steel cookware manufacturer, while he prepared the meal. I kid you not. Everyone called him Dr.
Anyway, being the impressionable youngster I was, I have since had an aversion to aluminum cookware! I will not use it unless I have to.
Recent studies I have read say that it actually transfers such miniscule amounts of aluminum to the food that it really poses no health risk but still... was that study funded by an aluminum cookware manufacturer???:laugh:

Cody
27th July 2003, 12:24
Thanx for the response, Koma. Just to throw in something on the contrary side:
http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=2614

The kind of aluminum used in pots and pans is made of multiple molecules and does not appear to affect human cells. "There is almost no evidence that the cookware is dangerous," says researcher Paolo Prolo.

But then there is no citation, I don't know what "researcher" they are refering to; and no, I don't know who funded the research :p

-Cody

koma
27th July 2003, 12:50
Very interesting link there. Did you go to link at the end of that story that asks, "Do you have the body for Alzhiemers"? That's interesting too.

Cody
27th July 2003, 13:23
yes, Koma. Better yet, you should check out the this link (http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=2931)

:up:

-Cody

Chiburi
27th July 2003, 14:48
As far as I understand, it's the cumulation of aluminum oxide in the brain (or somewhere in the body..) that, if let to cumulate for tens of years, increases the risk of getting Alzheimer's.

The kind of aluminum used in pots and pans is made of multiple molecules and does not appear to affect human cells.

Multiple molecules? Does it mean that it's some kind of an aluminum alloy (which is 'a substance that contains a mixture of elements and has metallic properties') ? Aluminum (or Aluminium) is an element, so pieces of metal aren't formed of 'multiple molecules' tied together but by (simply put using the electron sea model or whatever it's called) positively charged metal ions 'floating' in a sea of electrons. You all know that this accounts for the malleability, ductility, and good heat and electricity conduction properties for metals. But what the heck do they mean with multiple molecules? Aluminum (red. pot. -1.7)is easily oxidixed by oxygen in the air, so it can form a thin protective layer of oxidized aluminum, or Al2O3 molecules [or more properly Al2(OH)6] (red. pot. -0.6 => noble-like behavior). This protects the inner atoms from oxidation. Could this be what they are talking about? As far as I know, aluminum oxide isn't considered healthy because the body can't excrete it, hence leading to cumulation, which might in turn lead to Alzheimer's at high-enough doses. But if they want the pans and pots to stay rustless, isn't this just what they need?

This is an interesting subject and I would be glad to hear results from a proper research about it...

I actually stopped buying aluminum pans (i.e. my spirit stove that i use while camping is made of Duosal, meaning that the inside is steel and the outside aluminum. Unfortunately this causes the frying pan to bend if I try to make pancakes on a fire) because of this, and after hearing that the EU is thinking about pass a directive about aluminum cookware because they might be dangerous.

PS. Feel free to correct me (Aaron, you there?) :) And sorry, Cody, for hijacking your thread with chemical mumble.

Cheers,

Soulend
27th July 2003, 15:46
http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentin.htm

Maybe one of the smart guys on here will correct me, but aluminum is found naturally in food and water anyway.

Shitoryu Dude
27th July 2003, 17:43
There is also the aluminum that all your beer and soda comes in....

With very rare exceptions I won't cook with aluminum myself, but for another reason entirely; it sucks as cookwear - just about everything else is better, with the possible exception of glass. You are going to enjoy cooking one hell of a lot better if you use All Clad layered stainless steel, Le Cruset ceramic over cast iron, Lodge seasoned cast iron.

Electric ranges suck too - cook with gas.

:beer:

Chiburi
27th July 2003, 19:04
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
You are going to enjoy cooking one hell of a lot better if you use All Clad layered stainless steel, Le Cruset ceramic over cast iron, Lodge seasoned cast iron.

Electric ranges suck too - cook with gas.

I didn't know you were that "civilized" :). When you come back to the crappy electric stoves after using a gas cooker at the summer cottage, it ain't hard to say which you prefer.

Cheers,

Shitoryu Dude
27th July 2003, 19:18
I just play a barbarian on the Internet. ;)

Today I'm making homemade raspberry and blackberry jams. Takes an afternoon of sweating over the stove, but you can't buy food this good in the store on a bet.

A. M. Jauregui
27th July 2003, 23:01
Harvey is right on about this one - aluminum is horrible to cook with. Just about nothing other than cast iron and copper in my house.

Chiburi
27th July 2003, 23:32
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
I just play a barbarian on the Internet. ;)

Today I'm making homemade raspberry and blackberry jams. Takes an afternoon of sweating over the stove, but you can't buy food this good in the store on a bet.

Now you got me drooling...

Cheers,

Cody
28th July 2003, 02:16
Originally posted by A.M. Jauregui
Harvey is right on about this one - aluminum is horrible to cook with. Just about nothing other than cast iron and copper in my house.

yes yes, I am sure they are great cookware (cast iron), but there is no way I am going to go backpacking with those!

I don't cook with aluminum cookware at home, but for backbacking/ camping trips, that's what I would use, just because they are so light weight.

So, anybody has any idea is it really harmful?

-Cody

Soulend
28th July 2003, 03:08
"There is no proof, and the current consensus is that aluminum does not play a major role in the development of Alzheimer's disease. But because the causes of the disorder are not understood at this time, one cannot rule out the possibility that aluminum could play a minor role. In our Center, we do not recommend that people avoid aluminum cooking pans or aluminum-containing antiperspirants or antacids because there is little evidence that such lifestyle changes are helpful. Moreover, it is impossible to avoid ingesting a certain amount of aluminum, which is found naturally in food and water."
- Dr. Leonard Berg, professor of neurology and Director of the Alzheimer's Disease Research Center at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
I think you'll be okay using it. I've been using aluminum cookware for camping for years. In fact, just a month or maybe a week ago - I can't remember - I used my aluminum frying pan or pot or something to cook either eggs or sausages. One of those...I don't recall right now. Anyway, I feel great!

A. M. Jauregui
28th July 2003, 03:18
Originally posted by Cody
yes yes, I am sure they are great cookware (cast iron), but there is no way I am going to go backpacking with those!

I actually take my cast iron skillet camping. The whole thing including the lid is only a few pounds. Also I really enjoy being able to use just about every conceivable heating medium without fear...

joe yang
28th July 2003, 03:21
When I cooked in a macrobiotic reastaurant, years ago, we did a long term study on the effects of aluminum cookware. I forger what the results were. But what really scares me is Harvey and I agree on something.

Shitoryu Dude
28th July 2003, 04:07
Food, beer and wine do not know politics. :D

violet
29th July 2003, 01:45
I have also heard that if Teflon covered pots and pans are heated too high it will kill pet birds in the house - it's like the canary in the mine shaft

Chuck Munyon
29th July 2003, 20:33
Several epidemiological studies have linked Aluminium levels in drinking water to Alzheimer's, and it has been suggested that Aluminum may inhibit the ability of the enzyme plasmin to degrade Beta-amyloid, the accumulation of which in the brain is part of the pathogenesis of AD. Recent studies, however, suggest that Al is a red herring, and that another substance in drinking water may be the culprit.
Regardless, these factors have MUCH less impact on AD risk than diet and exercise. Cholesterol in the bloodstream is the primary source of the Beta-amyloid. So eat more fish, eat less fat, stay the heck away from trans-fats, keep training, and don't worry about your Aluminium cookware.

Cody
29th July 2003, 22:06
Thanx Chuck, I feel better now ^_^

elder999
30th July 2003, 00:41
Well, Chuck pretty much has the last word on medical matters, and I agree with him.

As for aluminum vs. stainless, Harvey, aluminum has much better heat ransfer capabilities, so it takes a more watchful eye, but some fine cookware is made of aluminum or aluminum clad for this reason,Caphalon,for example.

As for the toxicity of teflon and it's byproducts and precursors, this is a topic near and dear to my heart. Perfluoriinatede polymers, like Teflon, release perfloroisobutylenes (PFIB) in their production and-when not equipped with the poroper stabilization-in their decay.

Pure Teflon, when burned, is toxic to about 800 ppb.

PFIB and pure Teflon, are, for this reason,controlled as Schedule 3 chemicals;PFIB is similar to phosgene gas.

Shitoryu Dude
30th July 2003, 02:17
It may take a more watchful eye, but I just don't think it does near a good as job as heavy steel no matter how well you do it. I cook A LOT - amateur gourmet is my game.

A good hint on what is best for cooking is what the pros use. Turn on the food network and tell me how many times you see anyone but a "saved cook" have anything other than All Clad, Le Cruset, or iron.

Cooking with iron also has the benefit of acting as your daily iron supplement. Iron is a "prostitute metal" and when it gets hot it bonds with the food you are cooking and delivers to you a needed supplement. This has been linked as a reason why so many women are anemic anymore - they don't cook, and when they do they like to use non-stick surfaces so they don't have to clean as much.

I also find it quite amusing that men are typically far better cooks that most women are. Women find cooking to be some horrible chore that male oppressors use to enslave them and keep them in the kitchen. Men find cooking to be a hobby/sport and cook up gourmet meals for the sheer enjoyment of it.

:beer: