PDA

View Full Version : What kind of coffee makers do you have?

Chiburi
27th July 2003, 23:47
As a friend of delicious quality coffee, I'd like to ask you what type of coffee makers you have? Feel free to elaborate on your favorite coffee drinks!
Although you can find me at my chosen coffee shop pretty much every day, I'm a friend of coffee made with a vacuum pot (I have one by Bodum; don't know if anyone else makes them). As Corby Cummer said, "The vacuum pot is truly the CD player of coffeemakers; all you taste is the coffee."
I have two favourite blends; one is a blend of Kenya with a little darker roast, and for espresso, a dark roasted Habanero. Delicious coffee with distinctive and strong aromas. I'm also falling in love with a new, organically grown Italian-type strong espresso (even Fair Trade!), but still haven't really gotten to the taste because the grinders have trouble getting to high-enough rpm and grind it fine enough. Although there's not much of a crema on it, it spices up even the worst day.

We'll see if this will get any attention amongst the multiple Scotch threads :p

Cheers,

Soulend
28th July 2003, 00:47
I have a Gevalia traditional coffee maker, a Mr. Coffee Sr. and a Saeco Vapore expresso/cappuchino machine. I prefer very dark Javan and Columbian blends, which have a powerful taste without acidity. The Gevalia 'Breakfast Blend' from East Africa, Central, and South America is very good too.

A. M. Jauregui
28th July 2003, 02:04
I have a Cuisinart Automatic Grind & Brew Coffee Maker. Grinds up fresh whole beans. (an old college friend is an executive at Gavina Coffee...) everyday. Overall it is a good coffee maker for it does most maintenance automatically, is fairly inexpensive, has a ton of settings for those into fine tuning, does a wonderful job at brewing a cup.

My coffee of choice at home is Colombian Supremo from Gavina Coffee (http://www.gavina.com/) Don Francisco's line. But Moka Java, Au Chocolate, and French Vanilla are nice when I want to mix it up.

Shitoryu Dude
28th July 2003, 02:21
Well, I don't know what a "pan" is when referring to coffee makers, but I can list what the common types are in the US

1) Percolator. These were very common up until the mid 70's. They take longer, can be a bit noisy, but turn out a great cup of coffee.

2) Drip Coffee. Became very popular in the 70's, with "Mr. Coffee". Do a good job, but can be flaky at times

3) Espresso Machine. If you live is Seattle, you will eventually get one. Pumps hot steam through the ground coffee to make espresso and also has an attachment to pump steam through your milk to make it frothy.

I use an expresso machine, almost daily, and my wife uses a Cuisinart drip coffee maker.

My recipe for a honkin' big mocha espresso that is just decadent.

3 1 oz pumps of Hershey's chocolate syrup
2 large shots of espresso (Colombian Supremo)
An equal amount of 1/2 & 1/2 (half cream/half milk for those of you in many parts of the world where they don't sell it) steamed up into a thick froth. Use all of it.

Whipped cream on top with cinnamon if you want it.

:beer:

Soulend
28th July 2003, 02:58
Yeah, I have an old percolator around too. I gotta find it...Harvey's right, they make a great cup of Joe.

Daishi
28th July 2003, 04:58
I just have the type where you boil your own water and pour it through the filter yourself. Extremely low maintenance and easy to clean. ;)

Dale Heisler

A. M. Jauregui
28th July 2003, 05:07
Dale bet you have a percolator. Does it look something like this?

Jussi Häkkinen
28th July 2003, 05:09
Otto, since you're a Finn: Check out http://www.mokkamestarit.fi
So far the best quality coffee I've found from Finland. They do everything a bit better than Robert's does and they'll answer to your demands when it comes to coffee products.

I'm a coffee geek too. I almost did weep when I heard that the Mestarit's local shop had to quit the merchandise here - but luckily, local tobacco shop carries their products (and orders the stuff we coffee-holists want). Robert's stuff just doesn't make the final cut...

I use the presso pan/bistro can (however one wants to call it), a classic moka pot (you forgot that from the list - the stove-used "espresso" pan) and a good espresso machine. Favourite coffees: Kenya AA, Jamaican Blue Mountain, Mexico Maragogype, Colombia Peaberry. Also others, there are too many nice coffees to limit the list to that.

Try Maragogype, really. I love it - but it seems to divide people a bit. It has its personal flavour.

Shitoryu Dude
28th July 2003, 05:14
I actually preferred to use a percolator up until the mid 80's. A lot of those early drip coffee makers were pretty lame and what came out of them was rather variable.I still find that if you want really strong coffee a drip machine usually doesn't cut it very well.

Of course, there is something about listening to an old percolator going brrrrip, brrrrip..grrrrrrrrlllllp....brrrip, brrrip that just takes me back to being a little kid. That and watching the coffee splash around in the glass ball at the top.

:beer:

Chiburi
28th July 2003, 07:17
Jussi,
I can't say I'm always satisfied with what Robert's has to give, but they pretty much dominate the Finnish market. For example, if you're looking for special coffee, you'll most likely bump into a Robert's Coffee shop, simply because they seem have thought out the importance of shop placement to attract customers..don't know if that's domination of the market, but isn't Paulig the biggest importer of coffee in Finland? :)

But that aside, I've tried the smaller shops that specialize in coffees and other special products, and they sell delicious coffee, but most days the ease of crapping a bag of Habanero from a Robert's behind a corner just does it well enough. Bigger ain't better -- it's just easier!

Thanks for the link! I'll certainly take a closer look at their products and try them!

I've thought about trying those espresso "pans", but since I have 3 or 4 coffee makers already...but if it's that good, I guess I have to try!

Cheers,

Soulend
28th July 2003, 10:06
the ease of crapping a bag of Habanero

:laugh:

Chiburi
28th July 2003, 13:43
Originally posted by Soulend
the ease of crapping a bag of Habanero

Please elaborate; it ain't that funny :)

Cheers,

A. M. Jauregui
28th July 2003, 21:51
Phil, what is that instant coffee or just a bit of promotion? ;)

Soulend
28th July 2003, 21:59
Originally posted by Chiburi

Please elaborate; it ain't that funny

Cheers,

Hehe...Otto, perhaps there's a bit of a language barrier. 'Crapping' is defecating, and Habanero is the name of an extremely hot, burning pepper:

http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/item-22249.html?x=992369238&orig=30&PAGE=0&SEARCH=2&WORDS=habanero%20pepper

Your remark just brought a rather funny visual to mind, as you can probably imagine.:)

Heli
28th July 2003, 22:44
1) Percolator. These were very common up until the mid 70's. They take longer, can be a bit noisy, but turn out a great cup of coffee.

Oooh, someone else has a percolator, too... I agree, it's a bit noisy, but it does make an excellent cup of coffee. Not to mention it's really easy maintenance.

Although there is absolutely nothing better than a big cup of black coffee that has been made in a traditional pan (a kettle, in other words) above a camp fire after spending the morning in the fen picking cloudberries...

Otto, if you are going to Helsinki anytime soon, there's this small tobacco shop called Pähkinänsärkijä in Töölö which sells a variety of coffees. It has the best selection that I've seen so far.

Daishi
29th July 2003, 02:37
Ana, I don't think its a percolator. A little too simple for that I think. Here's a try at attaching a picture of it...

DAle Heisler

A. M. Jauregui
29th July 2003, 05:05
Very cool. Seems more like a simple drip system. Thanks for the pic...

Jussi Häkkinen
29th July 2003, 05:22
Heh, I don't wonder - somehow - why most Finns that post to e-budo are present on this thread...

Heli
29th July 2003, 08:59
Phil, it's not instant coffee. Instant coffee is evil. It's a bit hard to explain in English, but I'll try. You boil the water, put the coffee in the water, let it boil a little and then take it off the fire and let it cool a bit before filtering the coffee. After that... Well, what you have is a good strong cup of coffee. I suggest you try it, it really is worth the trouble.

Heh, I don't wonder - somehow - why most Finns that post to e-budo are present on this thread...

You know, neither do I. After all, it's a well known fact that all the Finns are coffee mongers and those who do MA even moreso. :D

'renso
29th July 2003, 22:47
I suppose this falls into one of the categories above, anyway here it's called a MOKA:

Jussi Häkkinen
30th July 2003, 00:56
Originally posted by Heli
You know, neither do I. After all, it's a well known fact that all the Finns are coffee mongers and those who do MA even moreso. :D [/B]

Yep - and still it is next to impossible (OK, luckily I've found Mokkamestarit - and Robert's' stuff goes in emergency as well) to find decent coffee from here. The major brands are light roasted crap that really doesn't qualify as coffee.

And being a picky bastard, I hate seminars that are located in any place northern than Tampere. Waking up in some place that ain't on a map and going to a local cafeteria, ordering latté and getting a hollow stare because they haven't heard about "latté", "café au lait" or even "cappuccino" - or worse, they have a quick-coffee machine for them - just brushes me in a wrong way.

BTW, 'renso, the maker in your pic is a moka pot, moka is the coffee that it produces - better known as mocca. Good one, I use one for my morning coffee. Bialetti makes designs that even visually are certainly pleasant, aside of being practical.

And Phil: We in Finland don't use instant coffee when going trekking or camping. We prefer good ol' fashioned black-bottom campfire driven coffee pan - water and perks inside, let it boil, drink, get a cancer! Can't beat the feeling!

Cidi
17th May 2018, 12:23
I'm sorry that I resurrect the old topic, but it's just that I myself once encountered this issue, and spent a lot of time to find really useful information, I hope that in the future will be useful to someone.
I have an older Breville that has worked very well over the years...it has an integrated grinder but is not automatic like the Oracle. The only downside was that it didn't have dual boilers, so not as efficient when steaming milk right after pulling a shot. That said, it was around $500 and it's given us a ton of really tasty drinks over the years. I'd probably prefer something more manual than the Oracle, though it's certainly tempting if it performs well. But I think some of the art of making the espresso is a bit zen-like and can be part of the enjoyment, hence my general aversion to fully auto machines. I know a lot of aficionados will hate a bit on Breville https://thehomedweller.com/best-home-espresso-machines-under-300/ as a brand, and it may not deliver the same performance as a primo Italian work of art, but for the cost and needs, this one has suited me very well. Don't think it'll make it to the 20th anniversary, but it's hard to find anything for sale in Bed Bath & Beyond that will go that distance or come within such a reasonable price bracket. Good luck on your search, and don't forget to save for a solid grinder if that's not part of the package you decide on! On YouTube there are a lot of useful videos on a similar subject, I'll leave here one, I hope this will help someone in the future. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HO45w7Aw3U

Cady Goldfield
17th May 2018, 16:56
Wow, you take your coffee seriously! I only have a manual French-press type coffeemaker, very low-tech but works fine.

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/strategist/2018/03/15/french-presses/15-15032018.w710.h473.2x.jpg

Neemad
13th August 2018, 09:17
I bought own brand coffee machine from tesco was on sale for £10 ( originally £15) one of the better ones ive owned, put the water in, coffee in, switch it on, had several with timers on etc no better if not worse, been using coffee out of aldi, great for everyday.