PDA

View Full Version : Ki/Chi

Sam17
28th July 2003, 08:50
Does Ki/chi play the same major role in koryu as it does in the Chinese martial arts?

I have heard ki mentioned in connection with koryu many times, but I have not heard it addressed in the same way as it is in the Chinese martial arts. Are there systems within koryu used for ki development? Or if not why do you think there is this major difference in the fundamental methodology between Japanese and Chinese martial arts?

Cheers
Sam

Sam17
30th July 2003, 15:59
Any particular reason why no one responded?
Stupid question?, or no one knows an answer?

Thanks
Sam

glad2bhere
30th July 2003, 16:36
Dear Sam:

I can't speak for others, but I know for myself that discussions about the nature of Ki and its role in MA tends to get pretty argumentative on occasion. I practice Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido, and we certainly consider the role of Ki in what we do, however my approach in teaching this concept is a bit more pragmatic than esoteric.

In teaching Ki I advise students that it really has a lot more to do with how much muscle tissue is recruited in the execution of a technique rather than channeling some mysterious force through obscure meridians. As a person who has benefited from Accupuncture I can speak first hand as to the effectiveness of Oriental medicine. I just don't think that its theory should figure so prominantly in the MA. So I teach that with practice comes an almost uncocious recruitment of the necessary tissue required to perform a particular activity at an optimal level. I also don't think that this is unique to KMA. After all, with sufficient training anyone from a gymnast to a rifleman can do some pretty amazing things. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Sam17
31st July 2003, 17:37
thanks for your reply bruce

Sam