PDA

View Full Version : Follow the Judo Leader...

Akshel
28th July 2003, 13:18
Hello,

anyone here in a top position or sort of in charge of a good, renowned Judo organization or federation? I really need to ask a few questions, it's a like mini-interview, I can simply PM it to you. I sort of need it for a college term paper, I am researching on Judo. Well please let me know. Thank you very much.

Akshel
28th July 2003, 20:59
Thank you. But I meant even a small organization would do, it doest have to be part of the 3 main organizations of the world. As long as the organization is nationally or state wide (only if it's Florida) acclaimed and people participate in the functions of it involving judo, it's completely feasible. Personally, I have a quite a few knowledge about judo, but it's one of those for the sake of assignment that I did my 'research' kinda thing. If they are any more who'd like to help, Id gladly appereciated, thank you. I'll post the questionaire as soon as possible. Basically I just need the person's name, organization he or she belongs to, and the position (preferrably a top one, as in cant be simply a member or participant), and the name of the website if available. thank you again.

Akshel
31st July 2003, 03:11
1. What is the organization called, when and why was the organization formed?

2. What are some of the rules of Judo pertaining to a match?

3. What are the divisions at which players can compete in? (Rank, gender, weight-class, etc)

4. What methods are used to win in a Judo match?

5. How often is the competition held?

6. Are strikes allowed in a Judo match, i.e. punches and kicks? If so, how lethal can they be?

7. Is groundwork grappling allowed during a match? If so, for how long?

8. What are some of the illegal moves that are restricted from being utilize and thus cause penalties?

9. How long is a player expected to train before he or she should usually feel confidant enough to participate in the competition?

10. Are there any possible major health risk or injury sustained from practicing or competing in Judo?

11. I've noticed that players initially grab a hold of each other's collar of the gi to execute their skills, why is that?

12. Is there a substitution to without grabbing the gi and still executing the techniques?

13. How would you characterize Judo as, a cardiovascular, aerobic, anaerobic, or pertaining to all three levels of workout?

14. Asides from thrills of spectators’ sport, can Judo be utilized as practical, self defense; is it far more efficient than Karate or Boxing?

15. How else is training in Judo is an asset from day to day, daily mundane life?

Also any other information that you’d like to add would be great. Id really appreciate if you can give me your name, name of the organization, your position in it, url of the website of organization, url of your personal site if you have one relating to Judo, and your email address. (I don’t think anyone would be contacting anyway, J). So thank you so much.

BradMessenger
31st July 2003, 05:22
I am a member of the Shudokan martial arts association, but have close relations to many of the board of directors. Cant remember their site URL but i can answer all of your questions, however some require a more lengthy explanation then i can give.

1. Shudokan martial arts association, founded for various reasons to keep budo alive and well.

2. A match is won by getting a full point. This is achieved by pinning for 25 sec, getting a submission, or any combination of pointed throws or just 1 clean throw, where opponents feet leave the ground and he lands on his back, with the thrower in complete control. there is no striking, punching, kicking of any kind. No touching of the opponents face. Can only have one grip on each half of the body, if you switch to 2 hands on one side you have 3 seconds to throw. Must throw within the alotted space, any throws that began outside the matted area are null and void. If no progress is made every 3 seconds grappling it is stopped and the competetors stand up and restart. No joint locks other then the shoulder and elbow....and many many more rules...too many to really cover, but this is the jist.

3. Their are different divisions and all divisions are divided up by kilos. Women with women, men with men ect, one division for any age, and another for masters age 35 and up. green belts and under fight in one division, and brown and up in the other.

4. see # 2

5. Competitions in Judo are year around, anywhere in the world.

6. no punching or kicking, judo is the "gentle art" and was compramised from sumo and a few different types of jujitsu. It is all techniques that can be practiced without hurting or injuring your training partner. If we hit each other randomly, it wouldnt be gentle =p

7. yes, groundwork can go on till a ref calls stop or someone is tapped out, or pinned. no progress for 3-5 seconds and it is usually stopped.

8. Being defensive, not working for a grip or a throw, punching, kicking, touching the face, going out of bounds....ect

9. This varies, some are ready the day they start, others wait years and some do not compete at all.

10. Since the beginning of the united states judo federation their has been no deaths in tournament judo matches...or so i heard. Judo is, or is one of the roughest martial arts tho, expect heavy bruising ect...

11. since there are no striking, and judo players cant throw with their breaths, grabbing something, anything, is necessary.

12. techniques can be hit at time of grip, rather then grip, then execution...if thats what you mean, but i dont know of any way of throwing, other then foot sweeps, without any grips.

13. aerobic, anerobic, and cardio, the hardest thing ive ever done. If you get the right club and some even matches.

14. Their is no one perfect woop all ass martial art. Different arts work well with different people. Some boxers could take some judo players, and some judo players could take some boxers. However, Judo on its own is a valuable self defense.

15. The word judo is actually 2 characters, ju, and do. Do meaning way of life. Just like karate-do, where once again the do is a way of life. The lessons tought in judo can be used in every day life situations, not just on the mat or the street. Learning to blend and harmonize, and work for mutual benefit and welfare, and efficient use of energy (2 most famous judo sayings and mottos), come in handy in anything from a conversation at work to an attacker with a weapon.

My name is Brad Messenger, my email address is Dragonslayer854@hotmail.com and you are welcome to email me for the contact information for shudokan martial arts association or their url. Or you can go to google and do a search for USJI USJF ect ect.

Hope this helps.

Brad Messenger

Akshel
31st July 2003, 06:21
Thank you so much. Would you be able to give me the contact info and the url? That would be awesome. And if anyone else still wants to answer, that would be really resourceful. thanks.