PDA

View Full Version : Bob Hope, dead at 100

Soulend
28th July 2003, 21:54
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20030728/ap_on_en_mo/obit_hope_20

We lost a great one today...:(

Starkjudo
29th July 2003, 01:32
A man who truly loved this country and all it stands for. Who has given more time to entertain the troops? And, I believe, the only civilian to be honored with his name on a US Navy vessel.

Rob Thornton

Bushi Jon
29th July 2003, 02:07
I remember the weeks after my father died and I had to return to duty the first person to make me smile was Bob Hope he was on another USO tour and I just happened to be there.He was also the first person to take time with us. He was a great person

bruceb
29th July 2003, 22:00
The man was a great entertainer, and on-stage he was nearly a god, but if you met him on the street, and attempted to speak to him, chances are you would be treated rather badly.

The two times I had a chance to meet Mr. Hope, he was very rude, which just goes to show, he was a great showman who could fool most of the people most of the time.

Frank Sinatra was the same way, but he was half in the bag coming and going the the Atl. Hlnds Yacht Club to get a few martini's from one of the few bartenders who made a drink the way he liked it.

My Point???

Some people are the same people you see on stage and screen and some are not. Don't be disillusioned if your hero's or actors are not who or what you think they are?

Bob Hope?

I have seen him in character, live on stage, and for years on the television.

He was a great showman, wasn't he.

Moko
31st July 2003, 03:58
Bruce buh scribbled:
The two times I had a chance to meet Mr. Hope, he was very rude,

I'll bet Bruce Buh can't figure that out.

icynorth
31st July 2003, 05:33
I don't suppose you filled good ole Bob with some useless drivel? did you?:o

Know what, people just wanted to say it sucked he died and you chimed in with a negative anicdote. Was it needed?

Soulend
31st July 2003, 10:32
I must say that bruceb is the only one I've heard that from. Every other account I've read said the guy was a prince, and his off-stage actions seem to confirm that. He made a lot of people happy in his lifetime, which is a great legacy.

bruceb does seem to have a knack for bringing out the rudeness in people, so it isn't particularly surprising - if true, anyway.

bruceb
31st July 2003, 14:00
Most of the great entertainers are aloof, and from thousands of performances, and thousands of fans who they must blow off, they have two characters.

The don't call it acting because imitating some character comes naturally to everyone.

Very few successful people ever take time to greet the little people, and Bob Hope, when he was out of character, was not the person you saw on stage and screen.

In character, he was a prince, but out of character, he could get pretty grumpy.

If painting a human picture of an icon disturbs you, then maybe some therapy is needed to open your eyes to what makes the world go round..... some of it is ... even Bob Hope was human.

elder999
31st July 2003, 14:15
No, Bruce. You don't get it.

The man is dead; he leaves us a legacy that spans decades.

That's his "entertainment face," as you called it, and for most of us, that's all there is, real or not.

We don't care if he cheated on his wife-though he didn't.
We don't care if he was a mass murderer-though he wasn't.

We know he was human, but he's gone now, and some of us are polite enough to not speak ill of the dead-except of course for the likes of Hitler-which he wasn't.

And if he was rude to you, well, you sure do seem to have a way of bringing that out in people.

Starkjudo
31st July 2003, 14:30
Originally posted by bruceb
In character, he was a prince, but out of character, he could get pretty grumpy.

Every other time Bob Hope met anyone, then, he was "in character", because i've never heard a cross word on him from anyone else. Apparently you must be such a jackass as to even piss off a guy like him.

Rob Thornton

bruceb
31st July 2003, 16:15
The rude manner is which you two gentlemen are defending Mr. Bob Hope is the same manner is which he would blow off people, like kids standing in line to get a "hello" or 'thanks for coming" as he passed by.

Not the adult Bruce, but simply a fan wanting to get a smile and a hello, a kid.

Oh, by the way ... yeah, I did meet him in Quantonamo Bay when I was there and he did a show there, in character.

Got a smile and friendly word as he passed by that time.

Funny what a uniform can do?

So no ... you guys don't get it.

You guys SO don't get it, that I can't wait for the "rest of the story" to come out now that ol' Bob is gone.

The guy had a complete, full life, did everything he wanted, and got nearly everything he wanted. It was his time, and he even got to live to 100, so no crocadile tears from me.

Will I watch his movies, and stage performances and laugh as I remember the memorys ... yep.

That was the guy on screen ....

I think Roy Rodgers had it pegged when he would see the young Roy Rodgers in an old movie and say "There goes old Roy again."

No ... you guys do so not get it .... I can't wait to say ... I told you so ... when the media and your own posts prove you wrong.

Maybe a couple a dozen trips backstage will teach you what you need to know about performers on stage and off stage? It certainly ain't gonna happen with words on E-budo....

I am starting to wonder who has the disability?

One negative part of a post is carried to new heights, while the postive features are droned out .... it really makes me wonder why emotional attachment to a stage performer is so important, now that he is dead?

Emotional transference, maybe?

Never mind ....

This is getting too over the top for me.

Soulend
31st July 2003, 19:19
I think everyone realizes that many people, especially celebrities, are sometimes two-faced and can be an a-hole in real life. This does seem strange for a man that entertained many thousands for free over the course of half a century, and gave so freely to charities.

But, maybe you're right. Or, perhaps he was simply having a bad day...he is after all, human, as you point out. I'm sure all of us have at one time snapped at or been short with someone when we shouldn't have. Hopefully when we bite the dust this will not be what we are remembered for.

At any rate, the man did a hell of a lot of good, and took many weary troops minds off of death, lonliness, and fear - at least for a little while. That, to me, is kind of undiminished by whether or not he once snubbed bruceb.

bruceb
31st July 2003, 19:41
It has nothing to do with Bruceb...

It has to do with idolizing someone you have never met.

It has to do with general comments from what is said in front of the cameras, and what occurs off stage or off camera.

Has anybody, who has made a comment on this thread, actually met this person in any way shape or form, up close and personal?

Somebody ... anybody ....

The great thing about being human is that we attempt to overcome our flaws, and in knowing those flaws, we take the measure of a man.

If Bob Hope is the 1940s-1960s generation of actors, then what about the 1970s - 1990s generations of actors/ performers?

How attached do our lives become to people who act or perform for a living, becoming our entertainers or heros?

Stop living, vicariously, through those screen heroes.

Give them their due ... and move on.

I don't want to get into how and why Bob Hope did what he did, and his personal triumphs and tradgetys ...

Just mark my words about all the storys that will follow now that he is gone .... and have a laugh for me when you see him acting up in one of those old movies, will ya?

(TCM is running 'Call me Bwana' right now)

Soulend
31st July 2003, 22:24
It has to do with idolizing someone you have never met.

Folks idolize people they've never met all the time: M. Ueshiba, Thomas Jefferson, Mother Theresa, Chief Joseph, Ghandi, Picasso, King, even Jesus Christ and Mohammed. And with the possible exception of the last two I don't think too many believe these people were faultless.

I don't "idolize" Hope, nor does it appear that any other posters do either. I just think he was a good man and it is a shame that he's gone. I don't even remember the last time that I saw a movie with him in it. It isn't his movies, stand-up, or showmanship which I find impressive. It is the way in which he used his talent, and a goodly amount of his money, as well.

Anyway, whatever. I'm pretty sure his funeral will have a huge turnout of people who knew him well and liked him very much - and thought he was a wonderful fellow.

icynorth
1st August 2003, 00:01
Hey Bruce, I heard Mother Theresa was a real bitch too:D

elder999
1st August 2003, 00:08
...and Ueshiba was well known for his temper......
(and Gandhi beat his wife??)

Moko
1st August 2003, 01:20
Do you every notice, through the drug addled fatty mass that passes as your brain, the large numbers of people who consistantly disagree with you? Do you every wonder why so very many people are wrong and you are not?

Bob Hope was a great guy. You are not. Go take some meds and wash it down with some vodka, do us all a favour.

icynorth
1st August 2003, 01:21
Not only did Ghandi beat his wife. My Grandad once met Ghandi on a mission to India. Ghandi was running a roadside bondage tent, he personally tried on the now famous zippered death mask! The demonstrations he put on were so disgusting, so hideous old Grandad damn near had a stroke. Damn all the media for making that emaciated little freak he hero,! he was a friggin pervert!!!!:eek:

Soulend
1st August 2003, 04:15
I agree with what you guys are saying, but it's a shame that this thread is probably on it's way to the NHB&G or being deleted, and it's only purpose was to express regret. Oh well...

bruceb
1st August 2003, 05:02
Sorry, all that drivel put me to sleep.

How come ... soulend's spear has two pointy ends?

Maybe because he kept forgetting which end was pointy and where it should go? ( Evil thought, but I had to release it, and now was as good a time as any.)

Let it go .... this thread has already started to degenerate into insults because of anger, and about what? A man who out lived his peers?

Soon we will all be dead, and we will all be a memory, a few faded pictures, and maybe a funny story if we are lucky.

Let it go guys .... what you fear is your own mortality. That is why there is anger, it comes from fear.

Soulend
1st August 2003, 05:16
"two pointy ends"? What the hell are you talking about? "where it should go"?

bruceb
1st August 2003, 05:49
If you had two pointy end, ya might stick yourself with one of them.

And if the pointy end is pointed at your, are you the other fella?

Humor ... joke? Irony?

Never mind.

Tomorrow is another day .... at least for us it is!

(... in case you didn't get that one either, it was a reflection upon the title of the thread?)

Soulend
1st August 2003, 10:44
Umm..yeah. The only 'Rhode Island Red' I know is a type of chicken. So as bruce has stooped to making snotty remarks based on my sig of all things, I guess the thread has run it's course. :)

bruceb
1st August 2003, 14:06
So, with all this talk about the old showman, you never watched the Cartoons that were shown before the movies in theatres?

Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Foghorn Leghorn, the little Chicken hawk, or Foghorns cousin ..... Rhode Island Red?

What a shame ....

All those cartoons were satires of the way people lived in Bob Hopes Time, and upon the human condition of those times.

I wonder what cartoons they wll satire about us?

What I really wonder is .... will they accentuate and preserve Hope's infamous SKI NOSE?

They did it for the pharoah, why not this king of comedy?

Soulend
1st August 2003, 14:45
Sorry, don't tend to memorize quotes made by cartoon characters.

bruceb
1st August 2003, 14:58
With two pointy ends, and that tag line ... maybe you do?

You missed the point entirely ... our banter is simular to the humor of Mr. Hope which can be funny, yet insulting ... especially if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You should be honored that I have use that same humor in this thread?

Hope to Crosby: "Move over son, this is job for a real man."

Crosby to Hope: " Tut,tut .... what would she want with sucatash when she can have Steak! Down boy."

Moko
1st August 2003, 15:42
Troll Bait will be Sponge Bob. A used contraceptive. Only it probably has a higher IQ.

Soulend
1st August 2003, 17:37
My tag line is a quote from the movie "The Mask of Zorro" in reference to a sword. Thus, there is no "two pointy ends". You may go back to watching your mindless cartoons and contemplating your oatmeal now.

bruceb
2nd August 2003, 00:16
Let's not have melt down .....

When you need a tag line for where to put the pointy end ... well ...Maybe you were having dreams about Bob Hopes back up date ... Phyliss Diller.

While Soulend was btch and Mning, I was watching Bob Hope on two differrent channels over the weekend. When I saw Jeffrey Hunter having these Adam and Eve dreams about him and Phyliss Diller, I couldn't help but think that Soulend could be Jeffrey Hunter in 'The Private War of Sargeant O'Farrel."

Ya wouldn't happen to have the uged to scream, "I have not yet begun to fight!" as the ship sinks under your feet, do ya soulend? Jeffrey Hunters character was an ancestor of John Paul Jones who got seasick on boats .... how ya feeling, sport?

Soulend
2nd August 2003, 01:44

bruceb
2nd August 2003, 19:40
Another miracle from God!

AMEN!!

Thank you, God.....