PDA

View Full Version : How common is your name?

A. M. Jauregui
31st July 2003, 08:56
Find out at Name Statistics.com (http://www.namestatistics.com/).

Ana is the #181 most common female name.
0.12% of females in the US are named Ana.
Around 153000 US females are named Ana !

Jauregui is the #7673 most common last name.
0.001% of last names in the US are Jauregui.
Around 2500 US last names are Jauregui !

Neat.

larsen_huw
31st July 2003, 09:23
I can't see my name being particularly common, Huw being a Welsh name, and Larsen being Sweedish with a Norweigan spelling. Maybe my combination of first and sirname is unique! :-)

Will go have a look at that stats site now.

larsen_huw
31st July 2003, 09:26
Not quite valid, cos i'm not american but ...

Huw didn't register on their chart. I got told it was "very rare" and i should "be proud of my unique name".

Larsen is apparently "the #570 most common last name.
0.021% of last names in the US are Larsen.
Around 52500 US last names are Larsen!"

Well aren't i lucky! :D

Cody
31st July 2003, 10:00
Cordelia is the #1327 most common female name.

0.005% of females in the US are named Cordelia.
Around 6375 US females are named Cordelia!

chu is the #1962 most common last name.

0.006% of last names in the US are chu.
Around 15000 US last names are chu!

Mike Williams
31st July 2003, 10:02
The Cardiff phone book has 7 pages of people called "Williams".

Cheers,

Mike

PeteBoyes
31st July 2003, 10:26
I don't have a copy of the London book to hand, but isn't 'Patel' supposed to be the most common name?

Don't get me started on the Chinese 'phone book :D

Boyes is #9863 on the surname list with around 2500 in the US. Shame I'm not one of them!

monkeyboy_ssj
31st July 2003, 10:33
No one's got my last name. Apart from family, strangly enough...

A. M. Jauregui
31st July 2003, 10:43
Mike there are large numbers of Williams in the US too - way more then I thought.

Williams is the #3 most common last name.
0.699% of last names in the US are Williams.
Around 1747500 US last names are Williams !

Never heard of a Boxall other then you, mate. Interesting, very interesting...

Cady Goldfield
31st July 2003, 13:12
"Goldfield is the #84491 most common last name. 0.0005% of last names in the US are Goldfield. Around 1250 US last names are Goldfield!"

I tried "Cady" as a first name and there were no stats for it aside from that it's "very rare" as a male or female first name and that I should be "very proud." There is an actress named Cady Huffman, but I was around long before she. OTOH, my cousin Cady Jo got her name a couple years before I arrived. :D

seskoad
31st July 2003, 13:29
umar is a very rare male name.
Very few men in the US are named umar.
Be proud of your unique name!

sesko is a very rare male name.
Very few men in the US are named sesko.

adriansyah is a very rare male name.
Very few men in the US are named adriansyah.

Tri is a very rare male name.
Very few men in the US are named Tri.

Hananto is a very rare male name.
Very few men in the US are named Hananto.

So my complete name is:

Umar Sesko Adriansyah Tri Hananto

very long!! I know.....:(

MarkF
31st July 2003, 13:45
<div>Feigenbaum is the #57337 most common last name.<br>0.0005% of last names in the US are Feigenbaum.<br>Around 1250 US last names are Feigenbaum!<br>source <a href="http://www.namestatistics.com/">namestatistics.com</a></div>

Actually, the information is either old or overstated. My surname is ranked at more than 60,000+ most common surname in the US. It isn't as rare as they would have you think. If anyone knows of a Yiddish or Jewish site which does this, it would come out as much more common.

The name has been used in TV and film multiple times, the first time I noticed it was on the side of a horse-drawn ice delivery truck in an early Three Stooges short as Feigenbaum and Sons, and the latest time it was MISpronounced, but used, in the film "Shindler's List" as one of "Shindler's Jews."

Use it as a search word on any search site. It will mostly be mentioned in relationship to "The Feigenbaum Constant," but not always.

Ana,
I speak some Spanish, but I have to admit to being tongue-tied when I try to say your family name, unless it isn't pronounced as written, but I'd think it probably is. I'd not seen it until you logged on E-budo.

Mark

bruceb
31st July 2003, 14:09
Well bruce is #67 on the hit parade....

and baker is #37, so being so common,

this allows me to say ....

WASN'T ME!!!

Yep .... It was the other guy named Bruce Baker ....

Good thing I don't live in Kentucky where the Bakers are thicker than leaves on a tree .... when they call for 'Mr. Baker' ten or more people stand up.

Ben Bartlett
31st July 2003, 14:35
<div>Benjamin is the #66 most common male name.<br>0.27% of men in the US are named Benjamin.<br>Around 330750 US men are named Benjamin!<br>source <a href="http://www.namestatistics.com/">namestatistics.com</a></div>

<div>Bartlett is the #693 most common last name.<br>0.017% of last names in the US are Bartlett.<br>Around 42500 US last names are Bartlett!<br>source <a href="http://www.namestatistics.com/">namestatistics.com</a></div>

Alright, so I'm not that unique.

elder999
31st July 2003, 14:41
aaron is the #77 most common male name.
0.24% of men in the US are named aaron.
Around 294000 US men are named aaron!

jeffrey is the #30 most common male name.
0.591% of men in the US are named jeffrey.
Around 723975 US men are named jeffrey!

cuffee is the #17813 most common last name.
0.001% of last names in the US are cuffee.
Around 2500 US last names are cuffee....

....and they're almost all related!

David T Anderson
31st July 2003, 15:44
Ahahahahah! You want common names?!?!

There are about 30 people named Dave and David Anderson in my local phone book. There's even a David T. Anderson listed that ain't me, because I have an unlisted number.

The other day I went to the local Big Book Store to pick up some reading material and discovered that I had forgotten my store discount card. "No problem", says the sweet young thing at the counter, "I'll look up your name on the computer." She punched the keys and paused... "Could I have your phone number? There are 127 David Andersons in here...". [That would be a national database for the store.]

The last time I checked at the Public Library [several years ago] there were 17 David Andersons with library cards, including myself.

A number of years ago I and my family moved into a rental house. The outgoing tenant was ....David S. Anderson. Amazingly there were practically no mixups with our mail.

Ana, my dear, I hope you will forgive me if I don't bother to check that database of names. I have a pretty good idea of what it will say...:rolleyes:

Cady Goldfield
31st July 2003, 16:05
MarkF,
How can we both have "about 1250 in the US" of our surnames, yet you're #57337 and I'm #84491 in commoness? What's up with those crazy computers? ;)

Jewish surnames are pretty recent inventions. Before the early 1800s, we all were just "So-and-so, son/daughter of Whoever" in Aramaic or Hebrew (e.g. "Moshe bar Yosef," "Tsiril barat Eliahu," "Mordechai ben Avraham") Government pressure to take surnames for passports, census, etc. forced Jews to take definitive surnames then, but we got to make up pretty much whatever we liked. Of course, those who traced their lineages back to the prestigious tribes of Cohen (priestly tribe) and Levi (sextons of the cohenim) had been using those as surnames for millenia. Funny how "Cohen" and "Levi" seem to be fairly common as Jewish names go. With DNA tests that can trace the "Cohen" gene, though, we can find out who's got that surname legitimately. heh heh

A lot of Jewish surnames are based on trees: Feigenbaum (beech tree), Tannenbaum (fir tree), Teitelbaum (birch tree), Kirschenbaum (cherry tree)... All adopted by Jews living in Germany when they were forced to take surnames.

bgb
31st July 2003, 16:11
Although David Anderson may have me beat, Barb Bloom is a pretty common name.

There were two Barb Blooms in the town I used to live in. Both had husbands with the same common first name. Our mail got mixed up all the time.

Oddly enough (since he was not related), my family received a sympathy card when the NBC reporter David Bloom died. I do have a child named David. His brother wanted to keep the sympathy-to-the-family-of-David-Bloom-card but I made him give it back.

Barb Bloom (duh)

Vapour
31st July 2003, 17:07
Only my family and few relatives of ours have this family name in entier Japan.

So mine is extremely unique name.

seskoad
31st July 2003, 17:13
Well I just realize that 'Umar' name is actually from arabic language. And the common name of it in english is 'Omar'. Same like 'Daud' (arabic) = 'David' (hebrew/english), Musa (arabic) = Moses (hebrew/english), Isa (arabic) = Jesus (hebrew/english), or maybe william = wilhm, michael = mikhail = miguelle, philip = philipe, etc. Different language but same thing.

Omar is the #340 most common male name.
0.036% of men in the US are named Omar.
Around 44100 US men are named Omar

pgsmith
31st July 2003, 17:21
Big surprise there eh?
Paul is #13 with 1161300 men named Paul.
Smith is #1 with 2515000 people named Smith.

Whoever ranks highest wins right? What's the prize? :D

Mike Williams
31st July 2003, 17:27
Michael is the #4 most common male name.
2.629% of men in the US are named Michael.
Around 3220525 US men are named Michael!

Williams is the #3 most common last name.
0.699% of last names in the US are Williams.
Around 1747500 US last names are Williams!

So, at a combined ranking of 7, I'm way commoner than you! :p

cheers,

Mike

PS: Any James Smiths lurking out there?

poryu
31st July 2003, 18:37
Hi

my friends brother is also called Paul Richardson, we used to work together some years ago which caused serious confusion at work.

My daughter loved it the day she walked through the city centre with the both of us. However, I am sure she thinks we were just joking about his name

william northcote
31st July 2003, 18:52
northcote is the #61527 most common last name.
0.0005% of last names in the US are northcote.
Around 1250 US last names are northcote!

Well surprise, for all the times I have searched my surname on the Internet, 1250 have the same name.

This does not bother me as there is a village in the UK called Northcotes, and one in the South of England too. Plus Lord Northcote who is or was in the House of Lords. Mind you my family name can be traced back to the 13th/14th century and to the royal courts in Cornwall/Deavon area sooo :p

A. M. Jauregui
31st July 2003, 19:37
Cady And Mark F. from what I understand from the Frequently Asked Questions Page (http://www.namestatistics.com/faq.php) the data was gathered from the 1990 US Census. Since then there has been another census taken in 2000 but the data has not been released, so not used at name statistics. There might be / are plenty of Feigenbaum but it could be that they were missed by the census for one reason or another. It also seems like 1250 is the lowest estimate before the infamous rare / unique. Statistics aside I still think that namestatistics.com is nifty.

Originally posted by MarkF
Ana, I speak some Spanish, but I have to admit to being tongue-tied when I try to say your family name, unless it isn't pronounced as written, but I'd think it probably is. I'd not seen it until you logged on E-budo.

It is a bit more prevalent in Spain then the Americas, which could be the reason why you are not seeing it all that often. A really butchered but acceptable pronunciation that I have given my history students in the past is: Jauregui = How + reg + gi. [with reg as in regulate and gi as in dogi]

George Kohler
31st July 2003, 21:07
George is the #16 most common male name.
0.927% of men in the US are named George.
Around 1135575 US men are named George!

Custer is a very rare male name.
Very few men in the US are named Custer.

Kohler is the #2254 most common last name.
0.006% of last names in the US are Kohler.
Around 15000 US last names are Kohler!

Cady Goldfield
31st July 2003, 21:33
Originally posted by George Kohler
Kohler is the #2254 most common last name.
0.006% of last names in the US are Kohler.
Around 15000 US last names are Kohler!

Not to mention a tasteful line of bathroom fixtures. :D

CMM
31st July 2003, 23:40
Well, 'Christian' is rather run-of-the-mill, at #236 most common male name.

'McCartney-Melstad,' however, is less so...there are precisely four of us!

George Kohler
31st July 2003, 23:59
Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
Not to mention a tasteful line of bathroom fixtures. :D

The Kohler's from Wisconsin, as far as I know, are not from the same family. My Kohler (AKA Koehler) family came from Bavaria, while the other family came from Austria. When they arrived to the USA, they settled in the Lima, Ohio area. They mixed their blood with the Gastinger and Custer family. Yes, the same family that George Armstrong Custer came from.

Martyn van Halm
1st August 2003, 00:04
My name is rare where? In the US? But I don't live in the US...

adroitjimon
1st August 2003, 00:13
#'s 11 &213 respectively...

PHILBERT
1st August 2003, 01:43
Scott is the #32 most common male name.
0.546% of men in the US are named Scott.
Around 668850 US men are named Scott!

Id like to meet some of those other Scotts because I never see them.

Shitoryu Dude
1st August 2003, 04:09
Harvey is the #225 most common male name.
0.072% of men in the US are named Harvey.
Around 88200 US men are named Harvey

combined with my last name, which is rather rare - (Scots/Irish - not worthless stinking french) - I am pretty sure I am most likely the only individual in the world with my full name.

:beer:

Soulend
1st August 2003, 04:22
No Craiks in their database...though there are a few in my family that live in the U.S.

StanLee
1st August 2003, 09:21
There's only one other Stan Lee that I know of!

Mushin San
1st August 2003, 12:44
My first name is ranked 1. Last name Emdin or Emden is unique in the U.S.

UKPatrick
2nd August 2003, 12:11
Carramba,
I'm not American, or in America, but using these stats my surname is no.44,430 in the list, at 0.0005%, with 1,250 people with this surname.

My first name (Patrick) is no.42 in popularity for men, BUT no. 2,047 in popularity for WOMEN, with 3,825 American women called Patrick.

Therefore, there are three times as many women in the States called by my (supposedly) male first name, than there are people with my sirname. Does that make me the rarest sirname on e-budo?

Just though you might like to know that

Patrick (Male - honestly)

(ans = No, there is one other that I have corresponded with)

Paul Kerr
2nd August 2003, 15:54
Paul: #13
Kerr: #721

No real surprises there. I'm more concerned by the fact that:

1. I was born on St Valentine's Day and my mother seriously entertained the idea of calling me Valentine. My Dad wasn't keen. Thankfully.

2. "Kerr" means "dweller by the marsh" and Paul means "small" - so I'm a friggin' Bog Hobbit.

Damn!

william northcote
2nd August 2003, 17:41
Never mind Paul, keep working and you may progress to something less than a hobbit lol

Paul Kerr
2nd August 2003, 18:23
LOL

What's the career path for a Hobbit? What I really aspire to is beardy dwarfdom - then, at least, I get to wield some serious axes, maybe even a nice hammer. As it is I'm stuck on fiddly swords that need magic.

:)

william northcote
2nd August 2003, 18:42
Go and see Gandalf or failing that, Steven Spielberg. The first does magic and the other creates cinema magic lol

Lame joke but worth the pun lol

bgigas
2nd August 2003, 22:19
Okay, between my fiancee (e-budo user: nioken) and I, we probably have you all beat.

My name:
Brant Gigas
Brant is the #914 most common male name.
0.006% of men in the US are named Brant.
Around 7350 US men are named Brant!

Gigas is a very rare last name.
Very few last names in the US are Gigas.
Be proud of your unique last name!
(Side note: When my ancestors entered the USA, the probably drunken customs officer decided to change our last name to Gigas (thanks, A$$!)

My fiancee:
Hashana Rothenberg
Hashana is a very rare female name.
Very few females in the US are named Hashana.

Rothenberg is the #16021 most common last name.
0.001% of last names in the US are Rothenberg.
Around 2500 US last names are Rothenberg!

With a little statistics, we can assume (with the numbers that we have) the probability of two people with our names being together is 0.000006%.

Beat THAT!
:D

william northcote
3rd August 2003, 00:37
It is strange that no one has a ultimate name. Or is it all prefabricated mumbo jumbo?

gendzwil
3rd August 2003, 19:58
The database is incomplete, claims no Gendzwills in the US but I know there are at least a dozen (all my relatives).

A. M. Jauregui
3rd August 2003, 21:32
Originally posted by A.M. Jauregui
[F]rom what I understand from the Frequently Asked Questions Page (http://www.namestatistics.com/faq.php) the data was gathered from the 1990 US Census. Since then there has been another census taken in 2000 but the data has not been released, so not used at name statistics. There might be / are plenty of Feigenbaum [or Gendzwills] but it could be that they were missed by the census for one reason or another. It also seems like 1250 is the lowest estimate before the infamous rare / unique. Statistics aside I still think that namestatistics.com is nifty.

gendzwil
4th August 2003, 00:31
Seeing as my great-great grandfather emigrated in the late 19th century, I don't think the census date is the issue :)

medenfield
4th August 2003, 16:50
Well I was rarer before I got married. I am a Latvian American and my maiden name was Krastins which doesn't register a number only "very rare"

Mara is #937 of female names with only .009% of of females in America or 11,475 total having this first name.

My married last name is Edenfield which is #11240 on the last name list having about 2500 or so people with this surname.

There are probably several Latvians with my maiden name combination as Mara is pretty popular as is Krastins.

However I know I am the only Mara Edenfield around!