PDA

View Full Version : sliding shoji screens- design ideas?

O'Neill
1st August 2003, 14:35
I want to put sliding shoji in our dojo and need any help or tips.
We want it to be both functional and beautiful. Any sites that shown a blueprint? Thank you.

shinbushi
7th August 2003, 19:01
I know you want shoji but have you ever dealt with them. My 2nd apartment in Japan had the nice ones and I was always accidentally poking holes through them. They look nice but they are VERY high maintenance.

aemon_
7th August 2003, 19:14
i've seen a few that have frosted plexiglass instead of paper. or some have the paper laminated. i dont remember the site i saw it at, but i'll see if i can find them again.

on that note, know of any websites that have plans for making your own shoji. thanks!

later

O'Neill
10th August 2003, 02:11
I am open to other ideas but I was hoping to use paper. I also want to figure out a way to make the dojo appear to have a japanese style roof (just out front). Thanks.

Steve McGovern
22nd August 2003, 15:53
I purchased a nice book on shoji construction on Amazon.com It is very detailed and some great designs. I forget the author but typing in Shoji should work. The author is Japanese and uses traditional tools. Hope this helps!:)

zasshu
14th September 2003, 10:25
Iam looking for forms for student attendance, advancement, payments sign up etc. Any one who has some or Ideas ? I finally have more students I can keep track of in my head. (more than 3)

Any one with a kind heart and the ability to e-mail wish to help.

aemon_
15th September 2003, 16:34
i just checked this book out at the library...

Shoji: How to Design, Build, and Install Japanese Screens

and at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0870118641/qid=1063643508/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-4310866-5912813

great book, step by step instructions. too bad some of the carpentry is over my head, but the author offers some alternatives to the joins. he shows how to build them with traditional japanese tools, really cool book.

later