PDA

View Full Version : Going to class with an injury.

medenfield
4th August 2003, 15:55
I was wondering what people do if they receive an injury that prevents them from actively participating in class. Do you go and observe to at least gain the knowledge that you can get by watching/listening? Do you particpate to the best of your ability and sit out the rest? Do you not go at all (informing your teachers of your injury and absence of course)?
What if you have a promotion coming up or special event? DO you handle it differently?

I know much of this depends on the wishes of your instructors
and so I am just looking to see what others do/have been told to do in this situation.

bruceb
4th August 2003, 16:26
Depends on your mobility, the injury, and how much either participating or watching will agravate the injury?

I know there are particular parameters that one has to stay within to facilitate healing, and sometimes even a modification of techniques is not sufficient for an injury, so sitting and watching is another way to pick up on either mistakes or well performed techniques. I tend to formulate what should be done in my mind, then spend the rest of my life trying to get to a point where all the elements of interaction are applied. So, sometimes sitting and watching is a way to capture those elements that you would miss if you were practiceing.

#1.) Forget about promotions and special events being the center of your life, even if they are, the center should be the practice not the rank or events that occur around the practice.

It is kinda like a big party of people going by, dancing singing, making merry, and you join in. When you ask someone, " Where are we going", the reply is, " I don't know." Well, you should know ... that parade could be going nowhere, or off a cliff for all you know. Remember you came to learn from the practice, and everything will fit into place.

Shitoryu Dude
4th August 2003, 16:49
Depends entirely on the injury and what sort of activity you are doing. If it is something like a pulled groin muscle I'd skip training for a couple of weeks until it healed and then take it easy for a bit.

:beer:

pgsmith
4th August 2003, 17:09
Hello Mara,
As you are studying a sword art, there is ALOT you can learn from listening and observing. While I can't speak for your school (having never studied Shinkendo), in most sword arts there is a lot of history and ideas passed out along with actual technique in class. It is also quite enlightening to watch what others are doing, see the differences between the beginners and the seniors, and concentrate on something other than trying to get your body to do what you are being told to make it do. Always be sure that the instructor is fully appraised of your injury before hand!

Just my opinions based on my experiences, but I learned alot from just watching.

Cheers,

Paul Kerr
4th August 2003, 17:13
Yup, really does depend, but I personally think that training as soon as possible after injury is advantageous. It's certainly been the advice I've received from my physio any time I've landed up on his table :)

If, mentally, you prepare yourself for a long, painful recovery it's probably what you'll get! That's not to say that anyone should disregard their body's signals to rest, just that sometimes we tend to forget just how adaptable and strong we can be.

I got through my Ist kyu test with a cracked rib and the toenails ripped off my right big toe, and through my shodan with a severely sprained wrist - so maybe I'm just a masochist :D

wab25
4th August 2003, 18:32
I would go to class with an injury, but I would limit my involvement. Even if I were only there to watch, I could still learn and improve.

Evan London
4th August 2003, 20:59
Just go and watch if you're allowed. Take copious notes if you can. Ask your instructor for exercises you can do solo without jeopardizing yout injury.

I was out of training for a long time due to a broken collarbone that wouldn't heal. I took lots of notes, studied them, and did lots of body movement drills by myself. My taijutsu improved significantly before I was allowed to train full-on again.

Good luck!
Ev

Random
6th August 2003, 13:02
I went every session while I had cracked ribs. Tere were alot of moves I was not able to do but I did all i could possibly do and tried not to inhale too deeply :)

Do what you can and pick up as much as you can from each session. Plus even sitting on the sidelines can give you a different prespective on the training.

StanLee
6th August 2003, 13:11
The best bet is to ask your sensei what to do.

Personally, if the injury is not too bad (at the moment I have a sprained thumb from kendo), I'd still carry on training but being careful with the injured area.

If it is a really bad injury, I'd go and watch. But if it is an injury requiring a long time to heal, I'd do my own practice on my body (e.g. taisabaki) and occassionally drop in to the dojo.

In any case, speak to sensei.

Martyn van Halm
6th August 2003, 13:41
My 0.02 euro...

I've had a torn tendon in my left shoulder that required keeping my left arm in a sling. I participated in kenjutsu class, wielding my bokken in my right hand and adjusting my kata accordingly.

I've had a motorcycle accident recently. While my broken leg was in a cast I went to kenjutsu class twice a week to sit and watch. After a few weeks the cast came off and I could stand on crutches and instruct beginners.
It's been 9 months and I'm training regularly. My right ankle is stiff and my knees are too painful for kneeling, so I do everything standing up, adjusting the kata to fit my needs.

I'd say, if you're incapacitated - come and watch. Not only to follow the progress in the class, but also to show your commitment. When I came back on the mats, all my fellow students knew how I was and took care not to overexert me. Besides, what are you going to do moping around the house?

Bob van Tuyn
6th August 2003, 13:43
If you have an injury it’s up to you to decide if you’re going to attend class. That’s how we do it in our dojo. It’s always advisable to watch if you’re incapacitated, as you observe you’ll always see different thinks than when you’re participating. You can always watch the more advanced student and see them performing stands, fighting etc.

xensu
29th October 2003, 23:17
Injuries can be a positive thing to bring to practice. I woke up the other week and found that I could not move my neck in certian directions. While I was practicing I had to hold my neck upright with every technique I did and I noticed a profound difference in my technique. I came to realize through this injury that if you maintain a straight neck the rest of your body will follow. However, I avoided being thrown or practicing breakfalls because I was unable to bend my neck to tuck my head. Also, If you practice a healing martial art sometimes you will find that practicing alone will heal the injury.

T'ai Ji Monkey
29th October 2003, 23:28
I think it depends on the Injury and how it will affect your training.

1.) Going and watching is always a good idea.
2.) Light workout might help your recovery.
3.) Injury time is a good time to work on your basics and correct other small flaws if possible.
4.) Research and study time, very handy for organising notes and brushing up on the theoretical side.

Just some thoughts.

n2shotokai
30th October 2003, 00:37
I would leave the decision to your instructor. I train when injured whenever possible. I figure there is a high probably of being injured in a real confrontation so adapting to an injury is important IMO. If you lose the use of a leg or an arm on the street I don't think your adversary is going to stop!

Peter H.
30th October 2003, 02:16
When I'm hurt, I go and do as much as I can without aggrevating the injury. The only time I actually took off for an injury was when I broke my knee, I took four weeks off and then was doing only limited work for the next four weeks.

I think it is important to practice some when you are injuried. Odds are, you won't be 100% when crunch time comes and you have to perform for real, and it's best to learn how you work and respond when hurt while your on the mat, not the street.

Iain
30th October 2003, 03:44
Gotta be careful. I herniated a disc in my lower back, thought it got better, went to class, and ended up spending another 2 months doing my dead cat impersonation. Luckily I'm still young, but I'm in no hurry do do something like that again.

Dahlia
30th October 2003, 12:09
If I still can walk I'll go to class. As Pgsmith has already said, in Sword Arts you can learn a lot by watching.

If I'm able to, I'll just not wear Men and participate in the beginners' training. We are really short on people, so if someone of the more experienced people is injured he'll usually take care of the beginners...