PDA

View Full Version : repititions

jezah81
8th August 2003, 03:23
How many repititions of nukitsuke can you guys do in a row before getting tired? Reason i wanna know is to see whether my sword is too heavy for me compared to everyone elses swords. I can do about 25-30.
Kind Regards,
Jeremy Hagop

tddeangelo
8th August 2003, 19:01
Jeremy,

I think this depends on how you define "tired". We've done anywhere from 10 to 40 repetitions in blocks of 10, and I could continue for a while at that point, but my arms definitely feel the effects.

Generally, we'll drill kihon at the start of class by doing 30-60 uchikomi, happo giri, two other cutting drills, and chiburi/noto repetitions (about 20 or 30). But most of the shoden level kata that I am practicing begin with nukitsuke, so I'm doing nukitsuke throughout the 90 minute class. In fact, Sensei had us practice ALL the kihon with suburito once. After about 15 uchikomi, my arms felt a bit fatigued! Of course, I just about flung my bokuto across the dojo when I did a draw with it right afterwards! :)

My iaito is on the light side for its length, but I don't know it's weight exactly. I'd guess its weight to be between 800 and 830 grams with a length between 2-4 and 2-4-5 (29" on the nose).

I don't know if that helps...

Regards,

Uesugi Kenshin
12th August 2003, 02:44
During warm up before class i usually do 20-30 nukitsuke among other cuts and I'm usually pretty tired after though..
The bokuto im using weight a pound or so, I'm not sure the exact weight...I should probably look into that.
But i Can do about 40 or 50 nukitsukes before I i really get tired and i dont think i can go on I'm not to sure if thats bad or good.

Mushin San
13th August 2003, 17:13
I practise four hours a say. I do not keep count.

A. M. Jauregui
13th August 2003, 21:06
If I do ‘nukitsuke‘ I generally do 50 repetitions per arm. (Yes, with my left as well. I do not want my forearms too disproportionate.)

Martyn van Halm
13th August 2003, 21:21
Ask someone to check if you're tired and when that moment arrives to take your head off. See how the threat of death makes your nukitsuke effortless....

pgsmith
13th August 2003, 23:32
Jeremy,
You have just started on learning the sword. Reserve that question for another couple of years. The muscles used in JSA are not generally the same muscles used for other things. It takes a while to build them up to strength. It reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the movie 13th Warrior. When Antonio Banderas complains that the viking sword is way too heavy, the Viking's response is " Grow stronger!"

Cheers,

A. M. Jauregui
14th August 2003, 00:04
Exactly Paul.
It is quite analogous to keeping one’s ‘hands‘ up in boxing - eventually it becomes second nature.

jezah81
14th August 2003, 03:01
Good answers.
Thanks alot guys.
regards,
Jeremy Hagop