PDA

View Full Version : Judo and Aikido

Neuro
9th August 2003, 14:01
I really enjoyed Judo practice.

Beside being an excellent workout, the art itself is very interesting and easily applicable in many fighting situations.

But today I read an article on judo where Jigoro Kano says :

"Ueshiba's judo (aikido) is better than ours. That's because it is a 180 degrees judo and ours is only 90 degrees."

Later in the article, the author mentions he was present at a demonstration done by Koichi Tohei, where he invited 5 judokas to go all out on him, but they couldn't touch him. His just threw them around easily.

Robert Smith, on his excellent book "Martial Musings" also describes this exceptional demonstration by Tohei, in which he was also present. He describes the same story above and remeber, Smith was a judo player and enthusiast !

Question : Is aikido a refinement of Judo ? I know they have historical connections (jujutsu-judo and jujutsu-aikijutsu-aikido) , but could it be that the first is really a better application of the same principles ???

---
Alexandre "Neuro" Wyllie

Walker
10th August 2003, 06:22
I much prefer Tomiki sensei’s quote: Aikido is judo at a distance.

A. M. Jauregui
10th August 2003, 08:49
http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15998

MarkF
10th August 2003, 13:26
That has been misquoted so many times that it is a wonder that it only comes up on a monthly basis.;)

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BTW: Martial Musings is a great book,and I highly recommend it.

Mark

PRehse
10th August 2003, 14:12
Originally posted by MarkF
That has been misquoted so many times that it is a wonder that it only comes up on a monthly basis.;)

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BTW: Martial Musings is a great book,and I highly recommend it.

Mark
I take it you are referring to the "true Budo" quote rather than Tomiki's. ;)

Chris Li made an interesting point about the English translation - there is no "the" in Japanese.

We have "Aikido is true Budo" vs "Aikido is the true Budo". A very different nuance.