Kimpatsu
10th August 2003, 15:07
Originally posted by Steve Williams
Caption this:
Please, sir, can I have some more?
---
Feeding time at the zoo.
---
The food tastes funny, but the guy next to me smells funny.

aran
10th August 2003, 20:56
"That starter was what?? You're kidding, right? Say you were kidding."

--
Aran Lunzer
Copenhagen

Tripitaka of AA
12th August 2003, 03:40
Everyone is looking at the camera, except the guy at fourth from front, who is still thinking what Aran said. He's staring at the same piece of quivering sashimi that has been winking at him for the last five minutes.

or

The Sushi Bar owner realised he was on to a winner when this gang of Gaijin walked in. "I could give them all the scraps from the kitchen, and they'd never kow the difference" he chuckled.

or

The strain of the trip was starting to show, when Sensei announced "in a minute, we shall have Karaoke! Starting with the guy nearest me!".

David Dunn
12th August 2003, 14:39
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
The strain of the trip was starting to show, when Sensei announced "in a minute, we shall have Karaoke! Starting with the guy nearest me!".

I remember a particular night in Saito-an in Greek St (or was it Frith St?). The kind proprietor brought a very large bottle of sake, and Mizuno Sensei instigated karaoke. Anyone remember a certain rendition of 'Mona Lisa' by the then Brixton dojo-cho? Good grief, I had to listen to Leonard Cohen after that to gradually get me back into tune ;)

Kimpatsu
12th August 2003, 15:02
"These little sticks taste really wooden. How am I supposed to eat them?"

sean dixie
14th August 2003, 20:30
Nick thinking....

"I wonder if the lads were joking when they said the best way to enjoy Japanese food was to have all your teeth removed?"

Tripitaka of AA
25th August 2003, 09:55
Could someone please remind me, the name of the chap second in line (bearded, serious looking chap with a distinguished whisp of grey hair)?

Is that the chap that I partnered for his Grading at Danceworks (Blue to Brown, he had no partner and I was a keen Shodan looking for something to do...). Jee Sensei was taking the Grading and I was mainly there to watch Yoriko (Mrs Tripitaka) take her White to Yellow.

In which case, the caption might read...

"Oh God, Karaoke.. again! After all these years I really should have found a song that I can actually sing. These days it is getting harder to find a machine that has Kajagoogoo on it"

Steve Williams
25th August 2003, 17:15
Could someone please remind me, the name of the chap second in line (bearded, serious looking chap with a distinguished whisp of grey hair)?

Not who you think......

That is Graham..... or some would say CHUCK...... as he has a striking resembelence to Mr Norris (or used to before he put on a few pounds), and I can say this because he is my assistant instructor at Harrow......
He used to be one of Mizuno sensei's early students... about 25 years ago... he got his shodan back then..... then gave up for about 10 years, did a lot of shotokan, now trains with me....... and yes, the shotokan shows, and hurts ;)

Tripitaka of AA
25th August 2003, 19:42
Thanks Steve, good to hear that Shorinji Kempo is still a haven for men of good character and hard bones.

Thinking about it, was Mizuno Sensei based in West Hampstead at that time? Perhaps I am recognising a face from my local neighourhood. At one time Jee Sensei had been studying under Mizuno Sensei at a Church Hall on West End Lane, which is about 200m from the Community Centre which was later home to the Abbey Dojo for many years.

I'm often struck by the enormous at of faith and courage that Mizuno Sensei undertook when he left Japan and came to Britain to spread the word, as it were. The little history of Shorinji Kempo in Britain is a miniature version of Kaiso's early days. Although I don't think Yakuza-sweeping was required in NW6... :D

Kimpatsu
25th August 2003, 22:38
Although I don't think Yakuza-sweeping was required in NW6... :D
Are, to be sure, wit' all us Oirish in Kilburn, it may be necessary, ye know... :cool:

Tripitaka of AA
26th August 2003, 10:48
Hhmmm, Kimpatsu suggests Ethnic Cleansing of North West London... I don't know, but I'm beginning to think that Tony is mellowing in his old age. Somehow his posts just aren't as controversial as they used to be... :D

'tis true that County KilBURN has a high proportion of the Irish population overseas, but these days things are a lot more tame (unless you are outside Biddy Mulligan's or The Galtimore on a Saturday night). You hardly ever see the collecting tin passed around for the Provos anymore. Not like the old days.

But unlike the Yakuza, who act as "benevolent" and violent overlords of their turf, the Irish community in London are more likely to be found supporting the local economy by drinking everyone else under the table and converting people into Irish folk just in time for St Patrick's day.

Kimpatsu
27th August 2003, 10:14
Hhmmm, Kimpatsu suggests Ethnic Cleansing of North West London... I don't know, but I'm beginning to think that Tony is mellowing in his old age. Somehow his posts just aren't as controversial as they used to be... :D
I hereby declare that David Noble should be banned from this forum as he no longer a practicing Shorinji Kenshi.
Controversial enough for ya? :D

Tripitaka of AA
27th August 2003, 14:34
[blubs and whimpers unontrollably]

Pleeeeeeeeeeease, let me stay! It's the only way I can keep to my vows. I swear I shall never ever ever doubt my fellow Kenshi ever again - Truly Tony has not lost his touch, may he forever be known as the High Priest of Controversy...

[/blubbing & whimpering]

S'funny, I never found the attraction of "being controversial" as a pasttime. I'd prefer to be known as Conciliatory, or Conscientious, or even Convivial... but then, there are many paths to the top of the mountain, aren't there.

Kimpatsu
28th August 2003, 01:01
Gassho.
I'm not controversial, David, I just tell it the way it is.
Now, dust off your old dogi and get training!
Kesshu.

Tripitaka of AA
28th August 2003, 10:27
Indeed you do, and would that it were possible then so it would be. Forsooth, I fear that I shall never again feel the swept wooden floor of a Dojo beneath my unsocked feet. This ethereal world of electronic chit-chat is the closest I shall come to being part of theShoribji Kempo world. The reasons are many, and involve family as well as distance, cost, time and the usual "excuses".

Steve Williams
28th August 2003, 14:29
This ethereal world of electronic chit-chat is the closest I shall come to being part of theShoribji Kempo world

That will be your problem then.....

We train in Shorinji Kempo....... don't know about this "shoribji" stuff....... (is it a secret offshoot ;) )

Kimpatsu
28th August 2003, 15:27
Gassho.
Sensei, my erstwhile sempai is just making excuses. If I were ever to be good enough to become a branch master, I'd open a branch within commuting distance of David's home.
Kesshu.