PDA

View Full Version : Silly UK Laws ...

larsen_huw
11th August 2003, 13:11
In the Speed Traps thead, talk wandered onto outdated laws, and hunting parties to Chester and Hereford (to hunt Welsh people) and York (to hunts Scotsmen). I found a whole bunch of outdated (and quite humerous) UK laws, so decided to post them here. Including the ones as to why hunting the Welsh and Scots is ok.

· With the exception of carrots, most goods may not be sold on Sunday.

· All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.

· The severest Penaltys will be suffered by any commoner who doth permit his animal to have carnal knowledge of a pet of the Royal House (enacted by George I)

· It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).

· It is illegal for two adult men to have sex in the same house as a third person.

· Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

· It is illegal to stand within one hundred yards of the reigning monarch when not wearing socks (enacted by Edward VI).

· Chelsea Pensioners may not be impersonated.

· A bed may not be hung out of a window.

· It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.

· Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked manequin.

· It is illegal to leave baggage unattended.

· Picking up abandoned baggage is an act of terrorism.

· It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.

· Destroying or defacing money is illegal.

· If a steam locomotive is driven on roads, a man must walk in front of the vehicle with a red flag during the day and a red lantern at night to warn passersby.

· All steam locomotives are limited to 4mph on roads.

· Anal sex is prohibited.

· You may not make out in public.

· It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

· Committing suicide is classified as a capital crime.

· Interfering with the mail or sleeping with the consort of the Queen is classed as treason, and as such, carries a maximum penalty of death.

· Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.

· One may not "blemish the peace".

· A license is required to keep a lunatic.

· Damaging the grass is illegal.

· Jesuits, Seminary Priests and other suchlike disobedient Persons must be banished.

· Since 1313, MPs are not allowed to don armor in Parliament.

Chester
· You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

Hereford
· You may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close.

Liverpool
· It is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.

London
· Companies may vote in local elections.
· No cows may be driven down the roadway between 10 AM and 7 PM unless there is prior approval from the Commissioner of Police.

York
· Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

Isle of Man
· Crossbows are banned

Isle of Sark
· All land must be left to the eldest son.
· Divorces are outlawed.

Apart from the Welsh and Scots hunting, my favoutite has to be the Lunatic Licence one. Maybe i should go to the post office (usually where one applies for licences) and ask them for a lunatic licence! What does everyone think?

fifthchamber
11th August 2003, 13:50
Hi Larsen..

No cows may be driven down the roadway between 10 AM and 7 PM unless there is prior approval from the Commissioner of Police.
...Now...To me that seems sensible....Outside of these hours the pedestrians would just get under the hoof...Drunken in control of a cow seems to be a nice touch I think...And...

Jesuits, Seminary Priests and other suchlike disobedient Persons must be banished.
...You change the disobediant persons over to Hare Krisna's or Born again types and you would have the West end in your palm!!....
But..The one I think I remember hearing was that it was still legal to use a Policemans helmet to urinate into in public...If you don't happen to be driving that is...
Thanks...I love this country...
Regards.

Mike Williams
11th August 2003, 14:14
At least a couple of those have been repealed. for instance, heterosexual anal sex is now legal. Huzzah! :toot

The one that gets me is the treasonous offence (punishable by death) of sleeping with the queen's consort. If anyone was found shagging prince Phillip, the death-penalty would be a mercy killing.

Cheers,

Mike

larsen_huw
11th August 2003, 14:17
Mike,

If any have been repealed, i stand corrected. Nice to know i haven't broken the law in that respect then! :D

Could people voting post to say why they think i should/shouldn't do it. Depending on how many people vote, i may actually go and try it out and report the findings on here! :D

Mike Williams
11th August 2003, 14:19
I assume you're talking about the lunatic license, and not about shagging Prince Phillip?

Cheers,

Mike

larsen_huw
11th August 2003, 14:22
Yes Mike,

I was talking about the loony licence, not shagging Phil the Greek. :D :p

:idea: Although needing a lunatic licence and living with Prince Phillip do go hand in hand quite nicely ..... has anyone asked the Queen if she has a licence for that lunatic? :D

fifthchamber
11th August 2003, 14:24
Rehash of above.....
I assume you're talking about the lunatic license, and not about shagging Prince Phillip?
....But you probably need a license for that too?.....At least a Forensic doctorate....No?
Regards..
(And sorry about the name Huw...Stupid..)

larsen_huw
11th August 2003, 14:27
Don't worry Ben,

It didn't kill me. I'm used to people muddling up my name's and spelling them all sorts of different ways!

Still, it means i can get away with not declaring car insurance claims! :D

Shitoryu Dude
11th August 2003, 14:59
The UK has no corner on idiotic laws from previous times that are still on the books. In various places in the US it is illegal to ride a giraffe or an elephant through town. Likewise, when automobiles were new there was at least on law that required you to stop at every intersection and fire off a couple rounds into the air to warn everybody that you were coming.

There is at least one web site out there that lists hundreds of old laws that are quite funny to read now.

:beer:

Kimpatsu
11th August 2003, 15:02
Originally posted by larsen_huw
If any have been repealed, i stand corrected. Nice to know i haven't broken the law in that respect then! :D
That's 'cos it's a bum rap... :p

Martyn van Halm
11th August 2003, 15:16

· All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.

Finally we know where the kyudo master is hiding.

· Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

That would have me staying permanently in the stocks.

· It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
What? Pissing over my own motorcycle? Only if the rear brake is frozen...

· It is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.

Now, this makes perfect sense. Why is there never a tropical fish store around when you need one?

StanLee
11th August 2003, 15:24
You are all lunnies and bit mad in the head!:D :D :D

Kimpatsu
11th August 2003, 15:27
Originally posted by StanLee
You are all lunnies and bit mad in the head!:D :D :D
This from a man named for a comic book artist... :rolleyes: :D

Cady Goldfield
11th August 2003, 15:36
There are lots of websites that cite weird and strange laws. Here's one for goofy stuff in the US and other countries.

http://www.dribbleglass.com/subpages/laws.htm

Shitoryu Dude
11th August 2003, 15:57
This one rather makes sense:

It is illegal to a wake a bear for the purpose of photography in Alaska.

Go ahead, you wake him up :D

Kimpatsu
11th August 2003, 16:03
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
Go ahead, you wake him up :D
Only if you stand in front of me, Harvey.
Black Bear versus Darth Moul... now that really would be a battle royal.

ScottUK
11th August 2003, 23:36
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
Likewise, when automobiles were new there was at least on law that required you to stop at every intersection and fire off a couple rounds into the air to warn everybody that you were coming.Welcome to 21st century downtown Hollywood... :D

pie dragon
12th August 2003, 01:51
Isle of Man
· Crossbows are banned

Not so! You require a regulated weapons certificate, which also allows you to own air weapons and shotguns.

Kimpatsu
12th August 2003, 02:28
Originally posted by pie dragon
Not so! You require a regulated weapons certificate, which also allows you to own air weapons and shotguns.
This means one of two things:
1) Some of these so-called "silly archaic laws" are actually made-up, and not at all indicative of reality.
2) The laws are still on the statute books, but in conflict with more modern laws. (This is certainly the case when it comes to hunting Welshmen.)
Remember, firearms certificates are a modern invention, and came along long after firearms--or indeed, crossbows--were invented.
Best,

ScottUK
12th August 2003, 14:09
They may or may not be true, but I think someone should pop down the post office and try (with Law in hand) to obtain an idiot licence....

larsen_huw
12th August 2003, 14:23
Scott,

If i get enough yes votes by the weekend, i'm off down my local post office for a loony licence! The lady who works there is Pakistani and understands bollocks-all english at the best of times! Could be funny.

:D :D :D

Kimpatsu
12th August 2003, 14:28
If i get enough yes votes by the weekend, i'm off down my local post office for a loony licence! The lady who works there is Pakistani and understands bollocks-all english at the best of times! Could be funny.
Take a video camera with you. :D

ScottUK
12th August 2003, 14:29
Take a tape recorder....

[edit] - aah sod it - Tony beat me to it... :p

larsen_huw
14th August 2003, 15:11
Well,

Being a poor student (or a tax-dodging, work-shy little b*****d ... depending on your point of view! :D ) i don't have either a portable tape recorder, video camera or even a stills digi cam.

I've decided i'll give it a crack if the yes votes go up to 15 by the time i leave work on friday (5pm UK time if anyone wants to know!).

fifthchamber
14th August 2003, 15:47
Hi Huw...
I would vote yes but can't for some reason...Apparently my vote is not recognised?.....Go figure!...
So....Add 1 vote onto the numbers for me would you?....I really DO want to see this....Hehe..
Regards..

larsen_huw
14th August 2003, 15:53
Ben,

How do i know you haven't already voted and are trying to vote again??? hmmmmm ..... :D ;) :p

Don't worry, i'll add one to the score. But i'm not sure how you'll see this monumentous event as i have neither video camera nor digital camera. But don't worry, i'll be describing all the gory details on Monday morning!