PDA

View Full Version : Koryu in Sydney

Shonk
23rd September 2000, 04:00
Does anyone know of any Koryu Jujutsu dojo in Sydney?

There was one in Pyrmont, Hontai Yoshin Ryu, I think. However it has closed down. Does anyone know where it moved.

I would even be interested in Daito Ryu or other more modern but older grappling arts.

Thanks in advance

Scott Parker

Neil Hawkins
23rd September 2000, 07:03
Scott

Welcome, there are a number of good schools in Sydney they include:

Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu
Sousuishi Ryu Jujutsu
Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu
Takenouchi Hangan Ryu
Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu Jujutsu
Suio Ryu Bujutsu
Ikeuchi Dojo

For some contact details see Daniel Lees' website http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/1276/index.html.

Perhaps, Daniel, Paul Steadman or Dale will have more to add as they are in NSW (I'm in QLD:)) but I'm sure that Martial Arts World in Gladesville (http://www.ozemail.com.au/~maworld/) can put you in touch with the relevent people to organise training.

Regards
Neil

Paul Steadman
24th September 2000, 08:18
Hi Shonk,

I highly recommend that you check out Boxing Works in Castlereigh Street, Sydney. Satoshi Yokota-Sensei teaches Yoshin-ryu Yokota-ha Jujutsu/Kobujutsu and Hyosui-ryu Koppo/Bukiho. Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu was not actually taught at the school in Pyrmont, the Judo instructor had previously trained in Hontai Yoshin Ryu and Kodokan Judo under Koichi Inoue-Sensei while in England.

Regards,

Paul Steadman

Warwick
30th September 2000, 21:42
The Tenjin Shinyo Ryu dojo is located in the North Sydney PCYC on Falcon Street North Sydney. We train Tuesday nights from 7.30pm and Saturday mornings from 9.30am.

Andrew Dickinson (mentioned above) teaches in the same location as well as Balmain and Five Dock.

Warwick Hooke

floodpj
11th October 2000, 11:57
Scott

The Yoshin Ryu classes mentioned by Paul Steadman are scheduled as follows:

Boxing Works - Level 1, 167 Castlereagh St, Sydney.
Tue: 7.30pm to 9.00pm
Thu: 7.30pm to 9.00pm
Sun: 10.30am to 12.30pm
and classes by appointment.

Yokota Sensei is a fulltime instructor.
You can contact him through Boxing Works (tel. 9283 6421).

Kind regards