PDA

View Full Version : For Steve Hayes students

Rich
13th August 2003, 21:34
Hi

I understand Steve has been using Peyton Quinn's FEAR (I think thats right name) suit and training methods. Can anyone with direct experience realte how training in this potentially realistic way affects their taijutsu- modifications etc. to the traditional Bujinkan waza please?

Plus are there any videos on Stevs system available to non memebers of his organisation?

Cheers

Rich

Oni
13th August 2003, 22:54
Rich,

I can't say that Mr. Hayes uses these methods or particular suit exactly. We do explore working towards raising stress levels as _part_ of our training through vocal and physical threats. As far as I know Mr. Hayes has always been interested in the psychological/pysiological aspects of violent situations.

As far as the 'suit' goes...last I saw they use a redman suit during testing and at special events to bring up the intensity. I don't believe it is used as part of regular training. In the regular program we do however utilize gloves, chest protectors, headgear, and various pads so we can 'up' the intensity and hit harder w/o fear of damaging our training partners. Again this is only one more tool that we use in the program. We also take off the gear and train at both medium and slower paces to focus more on precise timing, balance, etc.

Personally I have found these methods have vastly improved my confidence and ability to handle various types of situations. In my opinion it is MUCH different than dealing soley with the silent lunge style attack that I found in most of the Bujinkan schools and groups I have trained with throughout the years. They both have their place, value, and lessons. I just find the methods Mr. Hayes uses to be more effective for me.

As far as videos go...the latest is a two dvd set entitled 'Mountains of Strength'. It deals primarily with realistic self defense from the earth attitude. There is also the monthly video magazine which has footage from current events as well as the distant past. From what I understand most of the new material is going to be distributed via this monthly video/dvd set.

Hope this has helped answer you questions to a degree...feel free to ask anything further.