PDA

View Full Version : 'Tatoes

Soulend
14th August 2003, 23:05
Not Japanese, but I guess since we have Scotch and martini threads it's okay. I have what is probably an elementary question. My father used to make roasted half-potatoes that come out crisp on the outside and soft inside. Seems like he just flung them in the pan with the roast, but when I do this they come out sans the delicious, crisp outside. They come out okay..but pretty much just like boiled ones.

What's the secret?

elder999
15th August 2003, 00:03
You coul remove the roast, then turn the temp on the oven to low broil for 5-7 minutes, turning and recoating the potatos in th pan juices, which will reduce...or remove the coated potatos and place them in a separate pan to brown-it sounds like the juices are keeping them from browning. What kind of pan are you usinng?Glass might work best.....

P Goldsbury
15th August 2003, 00:09
I cook these every Christmas with the turkey, and my Japanese guests always seem to like them.

(1) I always parboil the potatoes before putting them in the roasting pan, and (2) I take off the foil wrapping about 45 minutes before cooking time is over, (3) I baste the potatoes quite often. Turkeys over here tend to be small (12 - 15 lbs), since Japanese ovens are also small. So the cooking time is about 3 - 4 hours, over a relatively low heat. The potatoes always come up golden brown & crisp on the outside, but with soft centres.

Best regards,

PAG

Soulend
15th August 2003, 09:53
Thanks, gents!

kage110
15th August 2003, 10:22
My way of roasting potatoes goes something like this...

Peal potatoes and place on an lightly oiled oven tray. Spray potatoes with a coat of olive oil (got a real nifty pump up spray bottle just for this purpose - yes I know, gadget freak:rolleyes: ) and roast for approx 1 hour (depending on size of potato and how quickly they seem to be cooking) at 180-200 deg C (sorry can't work that out in F.) Turn potatoes often. If potatoes don't seem to be browning too well lightly salt them (I use a grinder but a shaker should do just as well) and keep roasting.

The outcome is usually quite favourable! I have to use this method as my better half is a veggie so I can't roast the potatoes in meat juice.

My mother-in-law par-boils her potatoes before roasting and they are invariably crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle.

Results vary depending on the variety of potatoe used as well. Some are always good for fluffieness whether boiled, baked or roasted others stay much soggier.

You can't beat a roast spud!