PDA

View Full Version : Art and Martial Arts

budoboy
16th August 2003, 18:12
For those of you who paint, dance, sing or do other arts, do you feel it improves your understanding of martial arts? If so, how?

I am thinking of taking up something (singing or painting) and would like to hear people's experiences.

Jeff Sherwin

don
16th August 2003, 19:35
Originally posted by budoboy
For those of you who paint, dance, sing or do other arts, do you feel it improves your understanding of martial arts? If so, how?

I am thinking of taking up something (singing or painting) and would like to hear people's experiences.

Evidently Tomiki thought ballroom dancing helped his aikido. Miyamoto Musashi thought his heiho helped his painting and sculpture. An Aiki Expo demonstrater links (sorry) aikido and golf.

Myself, aikido really helped my frisbee, rollerblading, skiing, and karate KUMITE because I didn't worry about falling. Sorry, regarding anything more sophisticated beyond that, I don't paint anything but walls or sing outside the bathtub. If I were, I think it would be a matter of my own imagination to draw the connections (Buckminster Fuller attributed his ability to see the big picture to the blurriness ensuing from pathological near-sightedness... Koko, the signing gorilla, once angered at her handler's refusal to give her a banana and called him a "dirty ¤¤¤¤".)

Kimpatsu
20th August 2003, 01:03
Originally posted by budoboy
My singing is an offensive weapon. :D

Jake McKee
23rd August 2003, 20:49
For me it has mostly worked the other way around. My martial arts has helped other sports or arts I have tried. The way I see it, anything you enter fully with your heart is bound to affect anything else you do.

At the higher levels of martial arts, after the kata is learned, the techniques come out spontaneously with no conscious thought. When experimenting with new activities, even without learning the form, the less mental interruption the better, imho.

Best,

Jake McKee
www.budovideos.com

mech
24th August 2003, 05:01
What you discover is the fact that things like rythm, flow, creatitvity, following and breaken forms, mixing, blending, creating, etc. are incorporated in many activities peoples do and doesnt belong to none in particular.

To grasp the fundamentals of these principles is one sign of a real artist, then to be able to "apply" the principles to a form is for talented people, when meet these two moving freely between the principles, been able to create and to insert what learned to any form presented that is superior.

This language is universal the latter sounds like martial but goes beyond the martial, is just a matter of aquatance/adecuance/adaptation.

With all that tools we count on for to be artist of any kind, advancement never have been that easy as today is.

Mech
Manuel Ch. A.

Daniel san
25th August 2003, 13:24
Hello,
I'll be late for work because of this so please excuse my spelling and grammer.
I find that the two arts are symbiotic. I got back into the martial arts to correct my posture and to fix my "painting shoulder". It worked inside of a month. As a modern visual artist I have been taught that everything I do could be considered art if I so choose it. If my every movement is an art then it stands to reason that my more permanent visual art will only be made better.
Out of time. More later.

Daniel san
25th August 2003, 18:13
Ahhh, lunch break.
So, now I have the time to intentionally misspell grammar.
Like I was saying, the two are symbiotic. They both enrich each other. My style of martial arts is intended to make my visual art better. I don't learn so that I can kill. I learn to kill and it automaticlly imparts itself on my work. If one were to look at work I did before and after I started training they would see a level (or eight) of thought and finish that was not there before. Likewise, the creation of a work involves a patience and fortitude that is not ordinarily taught anywhere beyond the dojo. An example. I learned to carve rock at a school. They taught me how to hold the chisels and hammers. They showed me where a rock is weak and how to hit it. They did not show me how to stand there and do that for hours on end. They did not show me how to exercise in order to erase or not get the pain involved. Incidentally, shoulder rolls work like a meat tenderizer for me. I do rolls on either side a few times---Then I stretch. One million dollars made out of baby skin is what I feel like after my workout:p . It doesn't bother me that I don't have a lineage because there is not really a lineage that applies to me. What does apply is that everytime I think I have a good idea, I find that I also need to see if the Japanese did it first. Usually they did and better. Have a good day.

Kimpatsu
25th August 2003, 22:35
Originally posted by Daniel san
So, now I have the time to intentionally misspell grammar.
You can't misspell grammar; you can misuse grammar. You misspell words. ;)
The Orthography Commandos strike again!

Daniel san
26th August 2003, 05:18
Hello,
I think you (Kimpatsu) did not read my first post. I did in fact misspell grammar. "Grammer" is only a word in Texas. However, you are correct in that I abuse grammAR never grammER. She's never done anything to anyone.:D

Kimpatsu
27th August 2003, 10:37
Originally posted by Daniel san
"Grammer" is only a word in Texas. However, you are correct in that I abuse grammAR never grammER. She's never done anything to anyone.:D
Oh, you mean GRAMMA. :p

Daniel san
27th August 2003, 14:08
Dear Mr. Kimpatsu,
Are you enjoying your time in Japan? Have you seen much artwork while you've been there that does not involve electricity? I only ask because an answer would make your posts on this thread relevant. Also, do you have Attention Deficit Disorder? My sister has it and your post style reminds me of conversations that she and I used to have.

Kimpatsu
27th August 2003, 15:09
What are you rabbitting on about, Daniel? Try getting a sense of humour, why don'tcha?

mech
28th August 2003, 04:59
Tony, were you got from that fractal-like you use as avatar?

Mech
Manuel Ch. A.

Kimpatsu
28th August 2003, 15:41
Originally posted by mech
Tony, were you got from that fractal-like you use as avatar?
No hablo nonsense.
Que dice?

Markaso
28th August 2003, 23:37
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
No hablo nonsense.

Mind you, not to put a bee in your trousers, but it has been scientifically proven that you do! :p

As for the art aspect of this post ........ is it not true that the Budo that we practice is art in itself? Yes, in some areas of other studies, such as dancing,painting ect. could enhance the art that we study as well as the other way around. At least in my opinion,that is.

Kimpatsu
28th August 2003, 23:41
Originally posted by Markaso
Mind you, not to put a bee in your trousers, but it has been scientifically proven that you do!
No, I don't. I speak such brilliant English, no one can understand what I'm saying. :D

Markaso
28th August 2003, 23:57
No, I don't. I speak such brilliant English, no one can understand what I'm saying. :D

Yes ,even I will admit that you are on a different level than most ..... no I am not saying you are brilliant or genius or any such thing ...... just saying your on a different level.:D

Kimpatsu
29th August 2003, 00:30
just saying your on a different level.:D
My WHAT is on a different level?

Markaso
29th August 2003, 01:04
My WHAT is on a different level?

OOOOOOOOPS!!!!!!! Misspell! I ment You are or You're on a different level. But I think you knew what I meant ....didn't you?

I know I should say what I mean and not mean what I say .......:idea: just wish more people would do that!

Kimpatsu
29th August 2003, 01:15
OOOOOOOOPS!!!!!!! Misspell! I ment You are or You're on a different level. But I think you knew what I meant ....didn't you?
Of course; it's just fine winding you up.

Markaso
29th August 2003, 01:20
Of course; it's just fine winding you up.

I knew that ......... but just don't break the key!

Kimpatsu
29th August 2003, 01:22
I knew that ......... but just don't break the key!
To late; the head spring's already snapped.

Markaso
29th August 2003, 01:25
To late; the head spring's already snapped.

Well that explains a lot!!!! Thought I heard something and I did feel a bit strange after that.

Daniel san
29th August 2003, 12:22
Mr. Kimpatsu,
Did you mean 'Too' instead of 'to'. My dreams are shattered. I thought you were the perfect speller:( "The wisest man admits he knows nothing."

Kimpatsu
29th August 2003, 12:31
My spelling is perfect; I just make the occasional typo.
You can come and be my secretary, if you like. ;)

Markaso
29th August 2003, 15:25
My spelling is perfect; I just make the occasional typo.
You can come and be my secretary, if you like. ;)

Mr. Garner ...... Never refer to Kimpatsu as a Mr.! This title, I fear, would inflate him to new largness that no one could handle.Also Don't take the job. I heard the pay is lousy as is the hours ........ and I heard through the grapevine that he is a bit of a dictator in the office ....... run, Run, RUN whie you still can!!!!!

Kimpatsu
29th August 2003, 15:26
Mr. Garner ...... Never refer to Kimpatsu as a Mr.!
No, call me "god" instead. :D

Markaso
29th August 2003, 16:20
No, call me "god" instead. :D

WOW! Talk about a MISSPELL!!! That should read CLOD!!!! :p

Kimpatsu
30th August 2003, 01:15
WOW! Talk about a MISSPELL!!! That should read CLOD!!!! :p
No, GOD, you dyslexic American. "God" and "clod" are assonant, and you're just an ass.
So you got the first part right. :D

Daniel san
30th August 2003, 03:24
Hel-lo,
Sory too intrupt yr grammER dispute butt, hereis some art.C:\Documents and Settings\Hiromatsu\My Documents\My Pictures\My Pictures\sculptures\a sculpture.jpg

Daniel san
30th August 2003, 03:32
So, I evidently need a lesson on posting a picture. This is a maquette that I made of a piece that will be larger than life size.

Markaso
2nd September 2003, 16:54
No, GOD, you dyslexic American. "God" and "clod" are assonant, and you're just an ass.
So you got the first part right. :D

Oh I am really,really sorry about that MISSPELL, again. Wait it wasn't a MISSPELL it was North American English which I know you know nothing and I mean absolutely nothing about. I guess that you would understand it if I spelt it correctly in your own tongue. SOD! :p

Kimpatsu
2nd September 2003, 22:45
Oh I am really,really sorry about that MISSPELL, again. Wait it wasn't a MISSPELL it was North American English which I know you know nothing and I mean absolutely nothing about. I guess that you would understand it if I spelt it correctly in your own tongue. SOD! :p
Why would I want to debase the proper language of the world with your inferior colonial version?
And pay your taxes to King George, you rebel scum!

Markaso
2nd September 2003, 23:04
Why would I want to debase the proper language of the world with your inferior colonial version?
And pay your taxes to King George, you rebel scum!

Frankly put ....... Our version is better than yours so there ..... na na na na na na:p

Also Your request for payment has been put through to the proper channels and it has been noted, duely so, and the powers that be have ruled that you have misrepresented your goverment by fraudulent means as to have requested payment to a dead person ........ so the conclusion of this court is to have you shipped off to Detroit and banished there until the proper amends have been made. So off you go.:p

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 04:55
Frankly put ....... Our version is better than yours so there ..... na na na na na na:p
You lack eloquence to the point that you can only say, "na na na na na", and you think you speak better English? :rolleyes:

Also Your request for payment has been put through to the proper channels and it has been noted, duely so, and the powers that be have ruled that you have misrepresented your goverment by fraudulent means as to have requested payment to a dead person ........ so the conclusion of this court is to have you shipped off to Detroit and banished there until the proper amends have been made. So off you go.:p
German George may be dead, but his spirit lives on. Now pay up, before I sent a detachment of Redcoats to burn your women and rape your houses.
:D

Markaso
3rd September 2003, 05:35
You lack eloquence to the point that you can only say, "na na na na na", and you think you speak better English? [/QUOTE

I just thought that I would stoop down and use some English that you would understand:D

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kimpatsu

German George may be dead, but his spirit lives on.

And I bet you still talk to him over Martinis ;)

Now pay up, before I sent a detachment of Redcoats

You chaps just don't learn ....The red coats are what did you in the last time but if you insist .....keep on sending them and we will mail em back . :D

to burn your women and rape your houses.

I rest my case your honor quite mad he is. And a weeeeeee bit kinky for my taste!:laugh:

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 05:56
And I bet you still talk to him over Martinis ;)
Yes; he's been reincarnated as a cow destined for the dinner tables of America. He's looking forward to making you choke on him.

You chaps just don't learn ....The red coats are what did you in the last time but if you insist .....keep on sending them and we will mail em back . :D
OU still haven't learned. We've lulled you into a false sense of security. We figured that if we pretended to fight against you and then ran away and left you to yourselves, yoiu'd grow fat and complacent, easy pickings for His Divine Majesty. And look: it's working!

I rest my case your honor quite mad he is. And a weeeeeee bit kinky for my taste!:laugh:
I have to be mad to empathise with Americans.

Markaso
3rd September 2003, 06:10

I have to be mad

Never a truer statement said:D

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 06:13
Never a truer statement said:D
Quite. That's how I'm able to understand all the nonsense that you spout.
Have you made martinis lately?

Markaso
3rd September 2003, 06:23
Quite. That's how I'm able to understand all the nonsense that you spout. [/QUOTE

Well at least we understand each other :laugh:

Have you made martinis lately?

No but I have made one heck of a Scotch and water :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ron Rompen
3rd September 2003, 22:33
[B]Yes; he's been reincarnated as a cow destined for the dinner tables of America. He's looking forward to making you choke on him.

That would be some of our prime Alberta beef, no doubt?

(sorry guys, first time in this forum, and I couldn't resist!)

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 22:58
Ron's also making martinis... :p

Markaso
4th September 2003, 02:44
Ron's also making martinis... :p

Nope not only making em Heeeeeeshaa drinkin em too! hicup! ;) :toast: :beer: