PDA

View Full Version : More Political Correctness Madness!

Kimpatsu
20th August 2003, 05:45
Now, even childhood role models and Halloween parties are under threat, this time in Australia:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/story/0,12070,1021989,00.html
Crazy! :redhot:

kage110
20th August 2003, 09:00
:cry:

Kimpatsu
20th August 2003, 09:13
Originally posted by kage110
:cry:
Surely this is better:
:saw:

Kimpatsu
20th August 2003, 09:16
...or this:
:shot:

Kimpatsu
20th August 2003, 09:18
Although my personal response to these idiots is this:
:moon:

kage110
20th August 2003, 10:11
:nw:

Soulend
20th August 2003, 10:35
http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyrichardson/sniper.gif

Soulend
20th August 2003, 11:00
Judging by the threads here (and in the sword forum) Australia's legislation is getting more ridiculous by the day. It's almost like something they would dream up in California.

bruceb
20th August 2003, 14:27
The point was ... keep it at home ... don't bring it to daycare.

The separation of reality and fantasy . I don't see where there is a problem.

Kimpatsu
20th August 2003, 14:41
Originally posted by bruceb
The separation of reality and fantasy . I don't see where there is a problem.
Because to you it's all one, right? :rolleyes:

Alex Parks
20th August 2003, 15:09
I just wonder what makes them think that by not allowing the kids to wear the costumes, the kids are going to stop pretending to be super heroes.

cguzik
20th August 2003, 16:03
I can only imagine how life would have turned out had I not been allowed to wear my superhero costumes to preschool...

This was actually a common enough occurrence that someone thought it needed to be banned?

What parents dress their kids up as superheros on a regular basis???

Kimpatsu
20th August 2003, 16:07
I'm curious as to what will happen at halloween, two months rfom now; will these kids be denied trick-or-treating?

sean_stonehart
20th August 2003, 16:18
Ridiculous... :mst:

I remember as a kid being Superman & Batman... haven't killed anybody or become obsessively violent

I also was Mr Spock once... haven't used a phaser or any of the nifty Vulcan tricks he had yet

I was also Paul Stanley of KISS too... didn't become a ambiguously bi/gay rockstar... although I did try the rock star bit for a while

I also wore a gi one year... now look at me!! :rolleyes:

Tony... nah, they'll go trick or treating, but then be denied candy because of the fears of tooth decay & the possible speeding of onset of juvinile diabetes possibly with some of the kids...

Kimpatsu
20th August 2003, 16:22
Originally posted by sean_stonehart
I also wore a gi one year... now look at me!!
Dogi, Sean, dogi!

sean_stonehart
20th August 2003, 16:34
Ooops... sorry! :D Wasn't intentional... :nw:

Besides I practice Chinese martial arts now & it's just a uniform. :D

Kimpatsu
20th August 2003, 16:40
Originally posted by sean_stonehart
Ooops... sorry! :D Wasn't intentional... :nw:

Besides I practice Chinese martial arts now & it's just a uniform. :D
Oh... keikogi, then. ;)

dirithtai
20th August 2003, 16:41
Seriously, this won't have any real effect on the kids' pretending to be hero or not. A carboard tube stuck on my arm was enough to convince me I was Starscream, when I was 5, and I would "fly around" and "shoot" the kid with his lunch-pail in his shirt, to make the boxy torsoed Optimus Prime. Then I sat down and built things with blocks. IIRC, childhood aggression is a natural thing that will eventually be tempered by discipline and maturity, unless the parents are incompetant.

"You ever been in a fight?"
"No, but that's a good thing..."
"No it is NOT, how much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight? I don't wanna die without any scars..."

I got may butt kicked once as a child, and that was enough to convince me not to do it to anyone else. People seem intent on denying their children the formative experiences that mold them into the adult they will become. As a result, not only is there angst about the whole situation, the formitive experiences all become forbidden things, so the original taboos loose strength, hence moral decay et al. Not only that, once the lil runt gets to college, and mummy and daddy can't protect em anymore, they go into spasms. I should know, I see em all the time on campus, absolutely incapable of making their own decisions about anything, calling home every night for hours at a time...foolishness.

People complain when we blame our psychosis on our parents, but it IS their fault.