PDA

View Full Version : Taking the fun out of fundoshi

John Lindsey
24th August 2003, 00:52
If you are interested in Fundoshi, here is a page for you:

http://plaza18.mbn.or.jp/~yoshiki/akaba/index23.htm
The rest of his site is in Japanese. There is also a gay section, dedicated I guess to men who like men in fundoshi!

But, I found his following comments interesting to say the least:

Fundoshi-the thing Japanese men must absolutely preserve .

Basically Fundoshi is not for foreigners ,but for only Japanese men.

I personally do not want any foreigners to put on Fundoshi.

It is the traditional underwear Japan has to be proud of and the thing we have to preserve as a Japanese culture. However, since Meiji Era ,Japan has been westernized and after the World War 2nd , everything from Janpanse blade to this underwear was regarded as the fossils of Japanese Imprerial Military . Japan gradually came to think them the ancient ruins.

Full well do I know Japanese men took the choice of Fundoshi or Boxer Pants at thier own will, still but I firmly believe the U.S.A, the winner of the war,is responsible for the disapperance of Fundoshis. Seemingly,the USA did not force Japanese to sweep the Fundoshis,but burning the land with a large number of bombs from B29 and prohibiting martial arts / revenge fictions like Chushingura in public under the contorol of GHQ, finally they got out the Japanese traditional spirits as if they cut pennis of Japanese Men !

I think this is the most embarrassed experience Japanese men ever had.

Japan lost the war and lost many things ..Fundoshi.,too. Still it is lamentable that a large number of Japanese men do not recongnize the fact. Japanese men ! do not forget Fundoshis, nor the Japanese spirits ! The missions Japanese men have to complete is to look for the lost cultures of our homeland and to let the foreigners know the Fundoshis &how smart it is to put on them.

If USA thinks the fundoshis nice ,I ask them to recongnize the below,

Do not look down on Fundoshi users in Japan . Do not think it a barbarous underwear . Do not try to put on them ,for Fundoshis are not becoming to foreigners at all. (Image Gaijin Sumo Wrestler ,Akebono .) Americans are not qualifiied to talk about Fundoshi,( apart from Atomic Bombs' drop to Hiroshima & Nagasaki ,they tried to sweep the japanese underwear.)

And If some foreigners agree with me, all they have to do is to announce that not they but Japanese men are absolutely responsible for the preservation of Fundoshi. This is what I want them to appeal to Japanese men.

Fundoshi is the sacred fortress Japanese men must defend and something untouchable for foreigners.

nozomu
28th August 2003, 06:14
Is it just me or does his essay seem just a tad bit racist? I mean I respect his right to express his point of view of course, but even if I may or may not have any interest in fundoshi, this seems a bit harsh to any foreigner, but particularly Americans. It is a bit hard to respond to other parts of his essay, but perhaps it might be useful to recognize the fact that people who may be interested or become interested in fundoshi are from different countries or more importantly generations. Not every supports every decision made in time right?

Earl Hartman
28th August 2003, 19:57
BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!

Okay, dude, if you think your identity as a "ware-ware Nipponjin" masculine manly-man is dependent on the kind of underwear you use, more power to ya.

Loser.

Margaret Lo
28th August 2003, 20:09
Obviously the fabulous gay 5 from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy need to make over this fundoshi thing. It is way way overdue.

:D

Earl Hartman
28th August 2003, 20:10
Just checked out the website.

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!

Nothing but crotch shots and swords.

Dude. It is, like, totally gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.:D

Anyway, it's absolutely hilarious. Where in the world did you find it?

(edit)

Margaret, you're totally right. The fab Five would have an absolute field day with this. Fire engine red fundoshi ("akafun"), paisley ones, lavender, pink, maybe even scented ones, etc.

However, since the guy doing this site is obviously gay, maybe he does't need them.

Pete Knox
29th August 2003, 15:20
Gee, I guess when our history teachers told us the H-Bomb really "scared the pants off of them", they weren't kidding after all, eh?

:laugh: