PDA

View Full Version : hidden rituals and teachings

Daniel san
25th August 2003, 19:30
Hello,
Shinto is not my religion, but I have an artistic curiosity about certain aspects of it. It seems, given the culture that gave birth to Shinto, that not all aspects would be made open to everyone. Where could I find information on some of the more hidden rituals and teachings. In English if possible but not necessarilly. Thank you.

John Lindsey
25th August 2003, 19:55
I changed the title of your message so that our members have an idea of what you are asking :)

Daniel san
26th August 2003, 14:11
Thank you. By the way, I don't want to know anything that might get someone in trouble for blabbing. This is only to make good art.

jion
9th September 2003, 15:14
I read your post above about hidden rituals and teachings of Shinto. I believe I understand what you might be seeking but it doesn't appear to have a notion of what you might do with what you seek. I think a very important part of the Japanese heritage and culture, namely the Shinto beliefs, can be a wonderful segment to someone's understanding of Japan and the Japanese people. But merely possessing the ritual or ceremonial translations might not be as revealing.

Daniel san
9th September 2003, 15:55
Hello,
Thank you for the reply. This could possibly be construed as sensitive so I will proceed with caution.
Have you ever been in a dark room, with a flashlight, looking for the door that leads to the light? This is what my artwork tends to be about. To the casual observer it might appear that I have created an image of horror. However, if a casual observer were to look closer and engage the piece they would see the way to the light. The thing that I am working on now is about being a spiritual warrior and requires a background that is dark and in ceremonial context to the subject matter.
Thank you very much, whether you can help or not.:smilejapa

jion
9th September 2003, 16:08
Below is a message I forwarded to Daniel-san, but wanted to include here for reference to others:

This is a PDF article from a journal called the Japanese Journal of Religious Studies, published at Nanzan University in Japan and edited by a very good friend of mine, Paul Swanson. The article I think would be a good read for you is "The Ritual World of Buddhist Shinto: The Reikiki and Initiations on Kami-Related Matters (jingi kanjo) in Late Medieval and Early-Modern Japan."

Here is a URL link:
http://www.ic.nanzanu.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/publications/jjrs/pdf/637.pdf

Earl Hartman
9th September 2003, 21:30
This article sounds interesting, but the link appears to be broken.

jion
10th September 2003, 12:44
Please try the following link which lists the cumulative essays printed in the Japanese Journal of Religious Studies:

http://www.ic.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/publications/jjrs/jjrs_cumulative_list.htm

An excellent reference work, this is a journal edited by an old-time friend of mine from my Nagoya "Ebi-furiya" days, Dr. Paul Swanson.

Earl Hartman
10th September 2003, 20:44
Ebi furiya!

Hah!

Haven't heard that one in a while.

The link works now, but that is one long list. Can you tell me when the article was published so I know where to look?

Thanks.

jion
29th September 2003, 17:49
Originally posted by Earl Hartman
Ebi furiya!

Hah!

Haven't heard that one in a while.

The link works now, but that is one long list. Can you tell me when the article was published so I know where to look?

Thanks.

Certainly, Earl. It was published in the Fall 02 edition.
Fall 2002, 29/3?E
Tracing Shinto in the History of Kami Worship

don
29th September 2003, 19:26
Originally posted by Daniel san
Shinto is not my religion, but I have an artistic curiosity about certain aspects of it. It seems, given the culture that gave birth to Shinto, that not all aspects would be made open to everyone. Where could I find information on some of the more hidden rituals and teachings. In English if possible but not necessarilly. Thank you.

What have you read/done so far?