PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional pets.......

Steve Williams
27th August 2003, 01:02
Not pets that are strange or unusual......... but "normal" pets(cats dogs fish birds etc...) that do totally abnormal or strange things.....

Who has them, what do they do??

Tripitaka of AA
27th August 2003, 01:05
I have a pet Altarego, it gets on my laptop and posts on Notieboards at 2 in the morning. Then when I wake up, I wonder what's been going on... :(

elder999
27th August 2003, 01:06
I had the best dog in the world, once; he died at the ripe old age of 11. He was a pitbull, named "Jake. "

He climbed trees after other animals.

Once, he climbed a big tree after a cat!If I'd had a video camera with me, it would have made "America's Funniest Home Videos" easily.

He did other cool things, like not let burglars out of the house, or not eat until he was told to, but he was trained for those-the rest was purely atavistic.....he was so stubborn...

Steve Williams
27th August 2003, 01:06
We have 2 cats......
Both about the same age (within a couple of months) about 5 years old now.....

One is totally normal, sits on your lap when watching tv, does what he wants most of the time, sleeps all night and most of the day...... normal cat stuff.

The other... really strange..... will not let you stroke him, runs away nearly all the time..... gives you real "don't touch me" looks.....
Except in the middle of the night... about 2or 3 am.... DEMANDS attention, demands a stroke, purrs REALLY LOUD...... and will not leave you alone for about 30 or 40 minutes.......
The next morning, back to ignoring you, giving dirty looks.....

Cady Goldfield
27th August 2003, 01:11
Here are some my little feathery and furry pals at home.

http://community.webshots.com/album/49334175UiGNqs

I also keep pet doves in my home office, and as I work at the computer, they fly around, perch on the monitor, eat off my snack plate, and generally just provide ambience with their cooing.
There are some fish i my outdoor fishpond, and some local bullfrogs that moved in. They're not pets, though. Just friendly wildlife. :)

dakotajudo
27th August 2003, 01:59
Originally posted by Steve Williams

The other... really strange..... will not let you stroke him, runs away nearly all the time..... gives you real "don't touch me" looks.....
Except in the middle of the night... about 2or 3 am.... DEMANDS attention, demands a stroke, purrs REALLY LOUD...... and will not leave you alone for about 30 or 40 minutes.......
The next morning, back to ignoring you, giving dirty looks.....

I'm not sure how many cats you've had, but in my experience, that's normal cat behavior.

I had one, though, that always had just the tip of her tongue sticking out, and when she did sit on my chest (usually when I was in bed, reading or trying to sleep, of course) - well, once she kicked in with the purring, she drooled.

Too bad about the topic, I've got a 5 week old squirrel sitting on my shoulder - a neighbor saved it from another neighbor, who was going to shoot it (and may well have shot the mother - dipshit, that guy). So I've going to wean it out and try to release it.

My dog, I've found out, is a fan of pea pods; I'd toss them to her when shucking fresh peas. This summer, though, she figured out where they come from and starting eating them right off the plant. I suspect she's eating my tomatos, also.

Shitoryu Dude
27th August 2003, 02:59
Yesterday was an interesting article in the paper called "petting the dog". Simply put, when they make a movie and want you to realize who the good guy is they have them pet a dog. Even Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets" takes care of the gay guy's pooch. Hence, we know that he is really a nice person at heart and just misunderstood. Conversely, if you want to indicate that a person is evil, they have a cat.

Truth has never been more evident. Dogs indicate good people, cats are for psychotic women and people who push grandma in front of a train for kicks.

:beer:

koma
27th August 2003, 09:48
I have to disagree Harvey. Cats are the coolest! I have two and they are the best pets that have ever owned me!:D
I love dogs, but I'll take a cat over a dog any day. They are just...more calm.
If that makes me evil, then so be it! I'm happy being evil!:laugh:Mwahahahahahahahahaha!

KhawMengLee
27th August 2003, 10:29
Used to have two arapima gigas'...both were about six feet long...heh...like pet dolphins(pic below)

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~guppy/people/hqueiroz.shtml

We used to feed them about 3/4 kilo of fish a day...great pets.

Bushi Jon
27th August 2003, 10:51
I have a pet llama named bruce(my kids named it) I purchased it at a sale barn for 75 dollars and when I brought it home I thought my wife was going to kill me.

larsen_huw
27th August 2003, 10:57
I have a pet rock ... called Cuthbert. I'm slightly worried about him at the moment, he hasn't been eating much of his dinner recently. Maybe i'm not feeding him the correct food. Does anyone know what i should feed Cuthbert to help him turn into a big healthy boulder?

***This public dis-service announcement was bought to you by being bored***

***Now back to your usual service***

PwarYuex
27th August 2003, 11:56
My Labrado, Sophie, runs around the house like crazy, then falls flat on the ground... She pushes herself along the ground, and ends up turning 360 degrees...

monkeyboy_ssj
27th August 2003, 15:07
http://www.cndpets.org/pug-M-__1_a.jpg

This is my pug called Mr. Miyagi, he is the most useless thing on the planet, all he does is walk into walls and barf at this one flower pot and run away when it gets scared.

He smells too, but he's my baby.

larsen_huw
27th August 2003, 15:17
Matt,

Cute little thing, but is it just the photo, or is he cross eyed? :D

monkeyboy_ssj
27th August 2003, 16:02
Yes he is cross eyed...i told you he was pathetic. Sometimes his eyes face the complete wrong way ^_^;;;

dan keup
27th August 2003, 17:18
I have a pshyco weimerainer, he can climb anything; I have olianders in my back yard he has been known to climb into the bush about 4 or 5 feet off the ground and perch waiting for unexpecting birds. I have also seen him jump at a pigeon that was taking off from the ground and 180 degree in mid air bite, grab the bird and ponce on him, these are usually left as an offering for me on the back porch step.

My other dog is a 85 pound rott that thinks she is a lap dog.

Cady Goldfield
27th August 2003, 17:25
Is that your real name? Are you a taekwondo or hapkido practitioner?

dan keup
27th August 2003, 18:18
Yes this is my real name(sorta) most of my family spell it with 2 p,
some strange family fight many generations back. I did study tae kwon do back in the early eighties along with tang soo do. I spent basically 20 years off and on studing UFAF they call it chun kuk do now. For the last six years I have been working out with the McClafferty family. I study Shin Shin Sekiguchi ryu and Toyoma ryu.

Cady Goldfield
27th August 2003, 19:10
Thanks, Dan. I couldn't help noticing, because "dan" and "keup" are the Korean terms for blackbelt and lower-belt ranks!

Coincidence? Or were you pre-destined to train in a Korean martial art...? heh heh

Robert Carver
27th August 2003, 19:14
I would have figured that a few of the E-Budo regulars would be reptile enthusiast! Anyway, in addition to two cats and a dog, I also have two bearded dragons. They are names Izzhe and Izzshe (as in "what is he/she?")

http://www.budoseek.net/temp/lizards.jpg

Aozora
27th August 2003, 19:21
I owned a couple of royal (ball) pythons for a year or so. I really enjoyed them at first... they were amazing to watch when they ate and they were so damn cute when they were coiled around one another uner the heat lamp. Plus, there are no better accessories to be had for unexpected social occassions, such as Mormon missionaries showing up at your door at 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday when you're trying to sleep late ("Hi, can we..." "DEAR GOD!!! GET EM OFF!!! GET EM OFF!!!").

:up:

Anyway, one of the neighborhood kids who mows lawns kept pestering me for them, so I exchanged them for a year's worth of lawn service. Not that I didn't like them, but you can't play with them too much or it stresses them out. Still, they're way cooler than many other pets and don't grow quite as big or as mean as a retic.

Ron Tisdale
27th August 2003, 19:26
I used to keep reptiles (hognosed snakes, watersnakes, snapping turtles, etc.) when I worked at a camp in the poconos over the summers.

Most recently ferrets, before that a cat and before that a GS dog. Oh and a few pet rats in there, too.

The ferrets were definately a kick. Its impossible to be depressed around two healthy ferrets. I spent most of five years with them laughing. The rest of the time I was protecting my toes. :D

The worst thing they ever did was to steal my eye glasses while I was in the shower. Lets just say that once I found the glasses, I had to take a shower again...

Ron

G. Zepeda
27th August 2003, 21:01
I have two cats, one is fairly normal, if not a bit skittish.
The other, my "Little B", was raised as a kitten with a big Rottweiler for a roomate.
Ever since, she thinks she's a dog! I hardly ever hear her meow, and talk about a drooling problem 24-7! She even licks your hand like a dog when you are petting her and she is happy. I have only heard her purr a few times in my life! She chases other cats down as if she was a hundred pound Rottie (more like a 10 pounder).
Also, she loves to ride around in the car, and even stows away whenever she gets the chance. I find her at least twice a year sitting on the back seat when I arrive at work. She runs to the door whenever there is knock, and has to be the first one in the house to check things out when we get home. She likes to play "like a dog",(doesn't swat nearly as much as my other kitty...mostly bites and rolling around on the floor). I know she doesn't really believe she is a cat. Talk about an identity crisis. Even my other cat treats her like a dog and bolts out of the room whenever she comes in. Everyone that comes over laughs at the way she carries herself (her gait is quite uncattish). So when my girlfriend said she wanted a dog, I told her we already had one. Little B was happy with that assessment.

dan keup
27th August 2003, 21:27
Good to see a fellow Tucsonian on this board. My rott developed her lap dog idenity from spending the first couple months with my old min. schnauzer.

G. Zepeda
28th August 2003, 13:48
Hey, yeah, a fellow Tucsonan.
Do you train in Tucson, or in Pho-town?

dan keup
28th August 2003, 18:04
I train here in Tucson. Shoot me a pm so we aren't hijacking this thread.