PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Judo coverage

John Lindsey
15th June 2000, 22:11
Well, the Olympic games are coming up quickly, and it reminded about how poor the coverage of Judo has been over the years. Is this because the networks don't think there is much of an interest in it?

Are there any other coverage options, such as cable?

Osoto2000
15th June 2000, 23:34
I recently subribed to satalite tv to watch the european champianships and discovered there was a total of 1 1/2 hours coverage!!!
however there is daily coverage for at least 2 hours a day for golf???? or skate boarding,
they even show sky diving and base jumping more frequently???? Now I ask you there must be more interest in Judo than watching some spotty pre-pubescent neanderthal jumping of cliffs?????,( sorry I,m ranting again, my doctor warned me this would happen, please nooooooo not the dark room again, I promise I'll be good! Arghhhhh!)

------------------
(We practice for thousands of days, whether we win or lose is decided in an instant).
--------------
Ray Brown

Neil Oatley
15th June 2000, 23:42
here in the uk the coverage should be alright with vaious satalite channels involved. With the new rules been introduced and contemplated it will proberbly increase the coverage as I feel it will turn it into something more akin to WWF. i.e shorter hold down times. cumalitive scores of Koka and Yuko.

efb8th
15th June 2000, 23:51
NBC is beginning to advertise "Full Coverage" this year through the use of MSNBC & ESPN as "Orphan Sport" networks. I hope this new philosophy includes more than five minutes of contest and a ten minute
"feature" on a romance between two judoka, like last time.

------------------
Ed Burgess

MarkF
16th June 2000, 14:11
Hey, Ed,
Are you speaking of the romance between Jason Morris and his now fiancee? BTW: If you haven't seen Morris of late, he is fat and out of shape. If he goes in that way, he doesn't have a chance. Jim Pedro, on the other hand is as smooth as a greased axle. Someone has finally learned to focus and center.

BTW: If there is someone who doesn't know, you can check out some demos done by the two indviduals above on http://www.nbcolympics.com . It is in Quick Time format. Updates are given if you register and vote for judo (and TKD) as your favorite sport.

As for NBC offering full coverage, as far as I know, their most recent update and on the http://www.ijf.org website, NBC is only considering giving more coverage to judo. The judo venue is free, but that hasn't stopped people from staying away in droves.

As for satelite feeds, one may travel south to Mexico and get plenty of judo coverage as they tend to "steal" imagery without blinking an eye. I have seen hours of daily coverage of judo down there including the olympics, nationl (Mexican) tournaments, and amazing amounts of Olympic coverage. I have been trying to decide where to go on vacation this fall, and the more I think about it, the better I think I will be traveling shorter and shorter distances.

Here's to hope!

As to the newer rules, they have been in effect since 1997, as judo was almost dropped as an international sport. As far as partial point scoring, the yuko and koka scoring will look plain weird. Even though they are eighth and quarter points, 4 yuko does not equal ippon and eight koka, well, you get the idea. Osaekomi for ippon has been changed to twenty five seconds, and as few as ten seconds will score koka. Passivity penalties ranging from shido, chui, etc, to direct hansokumake will play a major role, I think. If this goes as I think, it will effectively lose the waza ari and ippon for throws and pins. Shido can take scored koka away, chui will effect yuko, and one can get hansokumake for the "grave" error of not attempting nage every few seconds. What it might do however, since the "pistol grip" has also ben eliminated, is bring in attempted nage on throws not attempted as often such as ko uchi gari, hiza garuma, and te garuma, as koka will be easy if you can place one on his butt. Shimban error will have to go down, along with assigning officials to matches from the country of that particular player. Welcome to bigtime politics.

------------------
Mark F. Feigenbaum