PDA

View Full Version : Something for permanent residents in Japan!

Striking Hand
1st September 2003, 02:06
Hi.

I just got back from my local muncipality office (needed papers for a loan application) and was informed about some changes in the law for "permanent residence holders".

Apparently we no longer need to register employer details or even notify them within 2 weeks of changing employers.

The current "Alien registration Card" will still carry the details, but new or the next card we receive won't.

Which means 1 trip less for some of us and less information that is made public about us.

They also mumbled something that mine and my wifes residence registration are now one and the same, but I will try to get more info on that.

Cheers.

Troll Basher
1st September 2003, 02:38
Peter,

Those rules have been in effect since the mid 90's when I got my P.R.
When your card has to be renewed that just leave the employment section blank.
You can also go through the "Japanese Only" line at Narita now too.
Of course you will get stares and someone will try and tell you that you need to go to the "Gaijin Line". Just flash'em you PR card and they will go away.

Striking Hand
1st September 2003, 02:47
Robert.

Ok, the lady at the immigration Office told me it was a new change to the law.

But than last time I changed jobs was 6yrs ago, prior to my P.R..
Musashino tends to keep me fairly well up to date on changes to the laws.

BTW, went through the "Japanese only" line last year when I came back from London and the very same thing happened.
:D

Walking through Heathrow was fun, my Japanese colleagues had to wait for 30 minutes in a long queue and I simply walked through immigrations.

Company now stopped business travels to the USA, rest of the world OK USA is out of bounds. :)

Troll Basher
1st September 2003, 02:52
Originally posted by Striking Hand
Robert.

Ok, the lady at the immigration Office told me it was a new change to the law.

When I got my PR in '93 I noticed the "employer" section was blank and asked what the deal was. My ward office said because I have PR they don't need it and only need to change my card when it expires or I move.
I now have SOFA and don't have to deal with those folks any more.

Striking Hand
1st September 2003, 03:03
Ok.

Still good info to know for the guys out there.

Last change I had done on my Card was to register my Katakana name for my registered Hanko some weeks back.

BTW, when are you coming over again, if everything goes fine I should have a spare/guest room in my house.

Cheers.

Troll Basher
1st September 2003, 03:09

BTW, when are you coming over again, if everything goes fine I should have a spare/guest room in my house.

Cheers.

Depends on when the next drinkfest is...........

hyaku
1st September 2003, 06:42
Ok.

Still good info to know for the guys out there.

Last change I had done on my Card was to register my Katakana name for my registered Hanko some weeks back.

Cheers.

Katakana Hanko?

Seems there is variation in different cities. I have never had to supply details of work. Also its a requirment the all my Hanko including jitsuin are in English in the name I was born with.

Colin Hyakutake-Watkin

Striking Hand
1st September 2003, 06:54
Colin.

I was told when I wanted to register my hanko using katakana that the alternate spelling needed to be entered into my register. Took me a total of 3 min. to get the paperwork done.

You can even get a kanji version registered but the process is a bit more awkward.

I was told that the Hanko needs to match the name on your ID, hence the entry for the katakana version.

Cheers.

Adam Young
2nd September 2003, 08:37
I now have SOFA I get that "PR" is permanent residency (‰i?ZŒ”). What is "SOFA"?

Troll Basher
2nd September 2003, 09:04
Originally posted by Adam Young
I get that "PR" is permanent residency (‰i?ZŒ”). What is "SOFA"?

Status of Forces Agreement.........US GOv. sponsored

Exorcist_Fist
3rd September 2003, 09:43
You don't need PR status to go through the Japanese line. Just a valid residence visa and a re-entry permit.