PDA

View Full Version : Taiko & Karate

Prince Loeffler
2nd September 2003, 07:24
Hi All !

I recently passed a Kyukoshin Dojo on my way home and noticed that the Sensei was drumming while the students were line up.

Anyway, are there anyone here who can share the info about the significance, history and the concept of Taiko Drums inside the Dojo.

This is the first time I have seen it. It be nice to know as I am curious about it.

Thanks !

Ichigeki Boy
2nd September 2003, 12:27
Hi,
In Kyokushin, we use the Taiko drum to signify the start and the end of class.

for more information, you can go here : http://www.kyokushin.ca/kyokushin/taiko.html

:)

CEB
2nd September 2003, 14:05
At the Midwest Kendo TaiKai the thumping of the drum starts the competition. That is the only Kendo tournament I go to. I assume they are all like that.

There is a Shotokan teacher that uses a drum to set the cadence for kihon practice. That is pretty cool. Kind of makes you feel like you are a rower on a ancient Galley.

Sochin
2nd September 2003, 14:26
Bu,
sign with your full name.

It's a required rule.

hector gomez
2nd September 2003, 16:06
My son bangs on his drums,while me and Gojuman roll around in our spandex.:confused:

Hector Gomez

Prince Loeffler
3rd September 2003, 04:19
Originally posted by Ichigeki Boy
Hi,
In Kyokushin, we use the Taiko drum to signify the start and the end of class.

for more information, you can go here : http://www.kyokushin.ca/kyokushin/taiko.html

:)

Thanks Ichigeki for the link, Couple of question...Does kyokushin usualy consider this as part of their ritual ? Are the kyukoshin group use this "ritual". Where did the TAiko and Karate combinationa came about ?

Thanks

Markaso
3rd September 2003, 05:41
Mr. Loeffler

They also use the Taiko(drum) in Shorinji Kempo. A good source would be to ask Kimpatsu since he is a Kenshi.

Prince Loeffler
3rd September 2003, 07:25
Thanks Mark Posselius, I'll ask him. In fact I didn't even know that this even exist.

By the way just call me Prince. Everytime someone call me Mr. Loeffler I have the sudden craving for some prune juice:D

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 07:49
In Shorinji Kempo, we beat drums at special events to signal the start and end of the proceedings. I have a video taped from Japanese TV of me beating the drum at a demo we did two years ago. Not many western branches or Japanese branches that use communal facilities, such as sports centres, can beat a drum every class, because it would be too much to cart a drum to and from every training session, but the Rakuto Doin in Kyoto, which has its own dedicated training facilities, uses a drum at the start of chinkon (meditation). At my own branch, we use a drum for special events such as demos, and at the end of year ceremony only. It can be very inspiring to hear the drum beat just before you start kihon; it gets the blood pumping!
HTH.
Best,