PDA

View Full Version : Who's Your favourite Red Dwarf Character?

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 05:13
Calling all smegneads!
So, who is your favourite Red Dwarf character, and why?

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 05:23
You forgot to add Ace Rimmer to the poll.

Smeeeee-- Heeeee---

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 05:32
Originally posted by kirigirisu
You forgot to add Ace Rimmer to the poll.
Ace is not a recurring character, so he doesn't get added.
But thank you, William, for proving a point. Bruce B claimed that no one (presumably he meant in America) would know who I was talking about. But then again, Bruce B is a smeghead... :cool:

bruceb
3rd September 2003, 05:40
The apropo response is ...

It takes one to know one.

bruceb
3rd September 2003, 05:44
... and since I don't know what you are talking about, TK, only you know what it is.

So, what is it? Or more accurately, what .... are ....you?

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 05:47
Originally posted by bruceb
The apropo response is ...
It takes one to know one.
I take it then you don't know any women?

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 05:50
... and since I don't know what you are talking about, TK, only you know what it is.
So, what is it? Or more accurately, what .... are ....you?
I am He who has come to enlighten. All those who heed my words will usher in a new era of peace, learning, and enlightenment. Cultural understanding and harmony will be achieved, and there will be no more hunger or disease. I shall bring peace and love unto the world, and kill Bruce B to prove it.
The galaxies are rushing away from each other because of a terrible intergalactic misunderstanding aeons ago. I shall restore balance, thus creating closer understanding and proximity between nutron stars. Do not fear lack holes, for they will not swallow you out of compassion.
Oh, and there will be free beer on tap for all who desire.:toast:

bruceb
3rd September 2003, 06:12
That crack about innocent children not mattering if they were baptised or not if they died cause God doesn't care, in the other thread, is just too much.

Keep playing your stupid word games, troll boy, I am not playing anymore with someone whose head is so twisted he can say it doesn't matter if small children die because there is no god?

Do you have any children? Have you raised any children? Do you have any morals?

Doesn't matter ....

Go get you head screwed on straight before someone who cares knocks it off before I do.

You can bless whatever gods put you in Japan at a local shrine.

It is after midnight here, and I am just pure disgusted at your ignorance .... I wish someone would beat some sense into that thick head of yours before I meet you, cause I don't think I would be sorry for breaking every bone in your body before the long black sleep came to ease the pain.

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 06:18
That crack about innocent children not mattering if they were baptised or not if they died cause God doesn't care, in the other thread, is just too much.
What are you talking about, Bruce? Why should it matter?
You really are a jerk, you know.

Chuck Munyon
3rd September 2003, 06:38
I'm going to have to go with Kryton. He was just so darn cute, it was impossible not to root for him. Like William's quote, for example; we all wanted SO BADLY for him to be able to finish the insult!

And Ace Rimmer annoyed the hell out of me; he was just too perfect. I did love the bit at the end of that episode about how in all the parallel universes that he traveled through, he never met a Rimmer quite as annoying as the one in ours.

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 07:18
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
But thank you, William, for proving a point. Bruce B claimed that no one (presumably he meant in America) would know who I was talking about. But then again, Bruce B is a smeghead... :cool:

He's appeared at least 3 times, possibly 4.

First in the Dimension Jump episode. Followed by the Polymorph II ep. And then there's the "Stroke me a flipper, I'll be back before Christmas" one.

I can't remember the other one off the top of my head.

And pay no attention to Brucie. Looks like his meds have warn off and he's on the warpath, until someone sedates him once again.

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 07:30
He's appeared at least 3 times, possibly 4.
But then he's not a regular.
I think Bruce B and Rimmer (our universe's Rimmer) are really one and the same. The only problem is, we can't deactivate the hologram of Bruce... :D

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 07:37
"Recurring" means appearing more than once.

Anyhow, enough of that. Ace Rimmer's cool.

Although, I like the fact that they picked Chloe Annette to be Kochanski...

Mmm, Chloe...

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 07:39
"Recurring" means appearing more than once.
OK, I should have said "regular".

Although, I like the fact that they picked Chloe Annette to be Kochanski...
Mmm, Chloe...
Woah, careful there, boy... ;)

Rob Alvelais
3rd September 2003, 07:45

But, Ace was in a couple of episodes, wasn't he? Would Kolchansky be a returning character?

Rob from the USA

Off to have my vindaloo and a brewski!

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 07:46
Originally posted by Rob Alvelais
But, Ace was in a couple of episodes, wasn't he? Would Kolchansky be a returning character?
Kochansky is in every episode from season 7. That makes her a regular.

Rob Alvelais
3rd September 2003, 07:49
My vote's for Kryton! He was just too funny!

Rob

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 07:50
Someone say "Kochanski?"

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 07:52
Trying again...

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 08:11
who the hell voted for Lister?

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 08:19
More Chloe...

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 08:21
Aaaaugh, can't stop myself...

StanLee
3rd September 2003, 08:25
Rimmer because he keeps mixing up the space core directives.

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 08:31
Okay, I know I should stop, but...

StanLee
3rd September 2003, 08:34
Arg you smeg head!

I want to look, but I'll get done in by my boss at work.

Damm you!

larsen_huw
3rd September 2003, 09:37
Holly (male + female) is the funniest 1 line merchant in any sitcom .... ever!

I think the male Holly is better than the female ... but it's close. My favourite Holly (male) quote has to be:

"The thing about space is, it's black. and the thing about black holes ..."

Whereas my fav Holly (female) quote is from the first episode of Series 6 (i think ... when they're miniturised and fly into a rodent's bottom) ...

"I hope we don't get stopped. The cops hate it when you're rat arsed!"

Classic. I'm a huge dwarf fan. I can even tell you what the bar owner is Backwards is saying when he's scolding Rimmer and Kryton for getting into a fight that's about to happen.

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 09:39
William, if you like Kochanski so much, why haven't you voted for her?

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 10:05
Because it's Chloe Annett I like.

...and you don't have Ace Rimmer up :D

Tripitaka of AA
3rd September 2003, 10:19
This program had everything I like, from humour, to sci-fi to jokes about smegma, and yet... I never watched more than a couple of episodes. Perhaps it was on a training night or something.

Anyhow, that makes my favourite Red Dwarf ... the one in "Don't Look Now" trolling around Venice.

monkeyboy_ssj
3rd September 2003, 10:19
I voted for Lister!!! hahaha!

He's my role model...hero...everything man.

I HATE people like Rimmer and always try by hardest to whined them up. I also put onions on my corn flakes and eat Vindaloos from lunch dinner and inbetween snacks...yum!

:P

Mike Williams
3rd September 2003, 10:25
Tricky...

I love both incarnations of Holly, I love Kryton, I love Rimmer, and Cat, I love the Skutters...

The best thing about Red Dwarf (apart from the seriously inventive storylines) is that it's an ensemble pice - the cast just feed off each other so well.

The only character I didn't like (apart from to look at) was Kochansky. Compared to the others she had the charisma of a ceiling-tile. She just never seemed to gel with the other cast-members.

Cheers,

Mike

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 10:29
Oh, but what nice eye-candy she was... :D

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 13:13
Guys, you are magnificent. First round is definitely on me.
In one of his semi-incoherent rants today, Bruce B claimed I was delusional because no one else knew what Red Dwarf was. (I.e., if he doesn't know it, it ain't so.) We're up to three pages of posts within hours, and everyone, including North Americans, are posting.
So Bruce: Semghead! :D
To the rest of you, thanks, and we'll share Vindaloo for breakfast. ;)

monkeyboy_ssj
3rd September 2003, 13:36
Do you reckon Bruce has got a silver'H' on his head? :D

Yay, curry for breakfasts! don't forget the lager in my tea...

Random RD Quotes!

"This man is not guilty of manslaughter, he is only guilty of being Arnold J. Rimmer. That is his crime... it is also his punishment."

"I am Holly, the ship's computer, with an IQ of 6000, the same IQ as 6000 PE teachers."

monkeyboy_ssj
3rd September 2003, 13:40
I think people are forgetting the original Kochanski was Clare Grogan, the stunt double for Skelator from He-Man.

She was abit rough...

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 13:51
Originally posted by monkeyboy_ssj
I think people are forgetting the original Kochanski was Clare Grogan, the stunt double for Skelator from He-Man.
Was she really? I never knew!
E-budo: a fount of knowledge... :D
You guys are majestic, and I'm gonna buy you all a pint (between you) when we meet... :toast:

monkeyboy_ssj
3rd September 2003, 13:57
I'll get the straws!

p.s. are you coming back to the home lands soon mate?

Kimpatsu
3rd September 2003, 14:00
Originally posted by monkeyboy_ssj
I'll get the straws!

p.s. are you coming back to the home lands soon mate?
Maybe end October/early November, but I'll be in Liverpool and Scotland...
Definitely next year.
(Between you, me, and the other 1,000,000 members of e-budo, I'm looking to head back to Blighty next year for good... or worse.)
But there will be a curry'n'beer operation in my honour, I assure you...
:toast:

StanLee
3rd September 2003, 14:15
Claire Grogan was also on Father Ted. She was on the very first episode of RD and also on "Sierens" episode as well me thinks.

monkeyboy_ssj
3rd September 2003, 14:15
Cool mate, i'll look forward to it ;)

larsen_huw
3rd September 2003, 14:47
Tony's returning to the UK?

Have Customs been informed yet? They're gonna need at least 9 months preparation.

Random RD quotes:

ALPHABETTI SPAGHETTI!!!!!!!!!!!!

***ROAR*** ***SPLOOGE***

The only problem i can envisage with this plan is the acronym is CLITORIS.

kenkyusha
3rd September 2003, 21:01
Kirigirisu,

There, see what you made me do? I don't really even like Kochanski's character, but damn if I didn't vote for Chloe Annette...

Be well,
Jigme

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 21:23
:laugh:

Now, if I could only get Tony to add Ace Rimmer...

Rob Alvelais
3rd September 2003, 21:48
Hmmmm,

Arnold hates Ace. Resents him, in one episode, tries to avoid him. Hmmmm, you never see Tony and Arnold in the same together. Hmmmmm.

:laugh:

Rob

kirigirisu
3rd September 2003, 21:58
Well, in two episodes, Arnold actually became Ace ("Polymorph II" and "Stroke Me a Flipper"). Plus Holographic Rimmer is supposedly Ace Rimmer now (see "Stroke me a Flipper"). Rimmer from Red Dwarf 8 is a re-construction by the nanites, just like the rest of the Red Dwarf crew (except for Lister, Cat, Kryten, and Kochanski).

Plus Ace was supposed to make an appearance at the end of Series 8 to save the day, but they've decided to save it for the movie.

Shitoryu Dude
3rd September 2003, 22:25
OK - I see this program listed on my cable guide, but I have no clue as to what the hell it is about since there is no advertising. It sounds fun from reading this thread - someone want to give me the quick and dirty on it?

:beer:

Chuck Munyon
3rd September 2003, 22:42
A deep space mining ship is desperately trying to make its way back to Earth, having lost all of its crew except for a foul-mouthed, sarcastic, vindaloo and beer consuming mechanic and a hologram named rimmer. The ship's computer, Holly, has suffered brain damage, the ship's new passengers Cat (an extremely vain half-human half-feline) and Kryton (an overly chipper, naive android) are essentially no help whatsoever, and a whole series of hijinks related to space travel, chicken curry, and bodily functions ensue.

Not quite as good as Black Adder, but not too far off, either.

Hey, Tony, how about a Which was your favorite Blackadder season poll? I liked the WWI year best myself, but the others were all hilarious too.

heatMiser
3rd September 2003, 23:22
Hey, Tony, how about a Which was your favorite Blackadder season poll? I liked the WWI year best myself, but the others were all hilarious too.

The third wsa the best, for having the best relationship between Blackadder and Baldric, and for the Rotten borough election episode. But the real question is, and always has been: which Blackadder character is the best?

Definitly the second. No competition.

I actually thought "goes Forth" was the least funny of the four.

(Apologies for going miles off topic so:)

Best Red Dwarf moment ever:

KRYTEN: (Places a nail scissors on the table) "Cut your toenails."

Both Listers put their feet in their mouths and commence chewing their toenails off. :D:D:D

PHILBERT
4th September 2003, 00:11
I've seen part of 1 episode and got bored. But years ago I got my hair cut and went to school and some friends told me I looked like Rimmer when I cut my hair.

kirigirisu
4th September 2003, 00:20
Yeah, in my experience, Texans never did seem to "get it." Showed it to three different girlfriends (all from Tejas, coincidentally enough) through the years and all of them thought it was stupid.

Needless to say, grounds for immediate dismissal. :smash:

Kimpatsu
4th September 2003, 05:47
Memo to Bruce B: For a show that supposedly no one knows, this thread has certainly received a lot of resposes! What do you say to that? :cool:

PHILBERT
4th September 2003, 21:21
kirigirisu, my friends thought it was the greatest show on TV, and all of them were Texans. Heck, one of them was the son of a state judge who was friends with Dubya.

Asia
4th September 2003, 22:31
Long time not post for me....

I am definitely torn between Lister and Cat.

Lister the Almighty Everyman

Cat.......Cat has STYLE!

Tough choice.

Chuck,

Black Adder is in a league of it own. I now many pple who 'say' they hate Britcon but like Black Adder. Go figure I think they are just in the closet.

bruceb
4th September 2003, 22:33
I must take the God/ Ki position of TK, Kimpatsu on this whole thread.

It doesn't exist, there is no such thing , it is all a figment of your twisted mind.

Gee .... now I feel like such a heel?

I take it back, I don't want to be like TK.

Never mind. Just play nice and keep your room clean.

Robdawson_
4th September 2003, 22:45
The Cat is the best one, and by the way Chuck, he isn't half human, half feline (see post a few above), he is fully feline but has evolved to be humanoid; felis erectus as it says in episode 1! Love the program, can't wait for them to bring the rest of the episodes out on dvd.

Rob Dawson

Shorinji Kempo

sean dixie
4th September 2003, 22:50
Anyone else notice that Kryten moves his head in exactly the same movement as Dr Frasier Crane? Seperated at birth with some weird bio-mechanical/time travel accident having taken place?

Spooky! :idea:

Pirahna
5th September 2003, 07:41
Best character i think is definetely Rimmer followed by Cat. One of the funniest i think was in "Backwards" when Cat takes a dump followed closely by the scene in which the ship is shrunk and flys up the rats arse!

BTW I believe that 3 actresses may have played Kochanski. The two previously listed and i believe that a separate actress may have played Kochanski in one of Lister's dream sequence (the one where she is defending the "boys" against the aliens?

Mekugi
5th September 2003, 08:26
Let's just face facts, cat is usually the only one any of us 'merrykans can remember off PBS....

Plus he was so damned funny about peed myself at times.

-R

Mekugi
5th September 2003, 08:33
Ummmm....Red Dwarf was up there with Ab Fab, The Young Ones, Faulty Towers, Black Adder, Monty Python (Ohh hallowed be thy name) and the rest of the fine English Comedic Invasion that is still going on today. The USA hasn't strayed away from the excellent and sometimes thoughtful comedies that come out of the U.K. We're better at action/Drama in the states while the British can truly make a funny show....so we use the them to fill the gap with our outstandingly idiotic Sitcoms that have no real plot, humor and simply turn into "Joanie Loves Chachi" eventually.

-R

Memo to Bruce B: For a show that supposedly no one knows, this thread has certainly received a lot of resposes! What do you say to that? :cool:

KempoCat
5th September 2003, 12:42
HEY PEOPLE!!! Have you forgotten the Duke of dork... DUANE DIBBLEY!!!!
Surely thats a character and a half. the dude with teeth like a piano, and carries triple thick chocolate condoms (cos you never know)!!!

KempoCat
5th September 2003, 12:45
Or even the Talking Toaster; retail price of $19.99!! as well as being the most annoying kitchen appliance you'll ever buy in the smegging galaxy!!

kirigirisu
6th September 2003, 03:42
Originally posted by PHILBERT
kirigirisu, my friends thought it was the greatest show on TV, and all of them were Texans. Heck, one of them was the son of a state judge who was friends with Dubya.

:eek:

whoa.

I guess you learn something new every day.

Still didn't stop me from dismissing three flowers of Texan womanhood because they thought the show was stupid and didn't get any of the jokes.

icynorth
6th September 2003, 04:58
Red Dwarf is a sad sad show. Is there really anything to vote on?:eek:

Kimpatsu
6th September 2003, 05:39
Originally posted by icynorth
Smeghead.

kirigirisu
6th September 2003, 08:51

Bite your tongue, you smegging canuck.

Iain
6th September 2003, 21:44
CHICKEN VINDALOO MONSTER!!

Iain
6th September 2003, 21:47

If Tony is right and there is no hell, I'm making one just for you. How dare you insult my low-brow working class comedic heritage!;)

Kimpatsu
7th September 2003, 01:27
Originally posted by Iain
If Tony is right and there is no hell, I'm making one just for you. How dare you insult my low-brow working class comedic heritage!;)
It's not a comedic heritage; it's not funny.