PDA

View Full Version : A student asked me an interesting question...

eriDialect
4th September 2003, 07:32
A student, who usually asks odd questions, suprised me with this one.

Why do martial artists wrap their belts twice around their waists and then procede to tie the knot? Why not only wrap once?

I answered the questions with my theories and said I would look into the subject. Can anyone help me with this question????? Please????

~Mike De Luca

Chuck.Gordon
4th September 2003, 07:39
Basically, I think it's because that's pretty much the way the old fashioned obi (from which modern dogi belts were developed) was worn.

I've actually seen single-wrap variations using velcro (or whatever the non-trademark name for the stuff is) to close. This wasn't in a traditional dojo, however.

In sword arts, the obi (which is softer and wider than the ones you get with a judogi or karategi) is often wrapped three or four times.

This allows you to slide the swords in between wraps and protect the finish of the saya.

Chuck

eriDialect
5th September 2003, 07:26
Thank you. That is pretty much what I said...

Any more insights would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

eriDialect
1st October 2003, 20:57
anyone else have any insight?

Ian McDonald
1st October 2003, 21:55
I have wondered about this, too. I have come to the conclusion through beer-induced logical deduction, that besides being traditional, it seems more practical. The longer obi seems to hold together better and thus provides more support, the friction holds the clothing better, and a longer obi is more useful for other things like tying up bad guys or girlfriends. :D