Thomas Hooper sensei. Detailed Information and registration
materials can be obtained by sending an email to:
pam_a_parker@yahoo.com

Thanks very much,
Pam Parker
Ken Zen Dojo

Charles Mahan
5th September 2003, 21:33
Isn't that kinda like saying we're having a Karate seminar? What style, organization, etc. Just curious.

R A Sosnowski
5th September 2003, 22:25
This seminar is for Iaido practitioners of the All Eastern US Kendo Federation and other East Coast Federations.

The style is Seitei Iai with a Koryu, Muso Shinden Ryu or Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, for Yudansha.

HTH.

DCPan
5th September 2003, 22:27
Originally posted by Charles Mahan
Isn't that kinda like saying we're having a Karate seminar? What style, organization, etc. Just curious.

Sorry Charles,

Kato Shozo sensei is 7th dan kyoshi for both kendo and iaido, Muso Shinden Ryu.
http://www.kendoka.org/

Thomas Hooper sensei is 6th dan renshi in both kendo and iaido, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu.

As for the curriculum that will be worked on, I am not sure, though I'd guess Seitei.

:D

Charles Mahan
6th September 2003, 01:49
Ahh. Thanks. Was just wondering.

Diane Mirro
6th September 2003, 03:52
...But "Seitei" was translated to me years ago as "working kata" by one of the original committee members (Noguchi Sensei of Tokyo) who helped devise the Zen Ken Renmei Iaido set--that is, the Iaido of the Kendo Federation. Yet everyone refers to ZNKR as "Seitei," probably 'cause it rolls off the tongue so easily.

Kato Sensei and Hooper Sensei both run well-respected schools of AUSKF Kendo and Iaido in the New York-New Jersey-Connecticut area. They and Parker Sensei have been key members of the teaching curriculum of the AUSKF Iaido Summer camps in past years. I would guess that the seminar would be directed at current practitioners/members of ZNKR Iaido.

R A Sosnowski
6th September 2003, 15:53
Originally posted by Diane Mirro
...But "Seitei" was translated to me years ago as "working kata" by one of the original committee members (Noguchi Sensei of Tokyo) who helped devise the Zen Ken Renmei Iaido set--that is, the Iaido of the Kendo Federation. Yet everyone refers to ZNKR as "Seitei," probably 'cause it rolls off the tongue so easily.

... I would guess that the seminar would be directed at current practitioners/members of ZNKR Iaido.

True. It is officially ZenKenRen Iai; it's not the first time I have been "corrected" and it likely won't be the last. :D

But my first exposure was Warner & Draeger (1982) when it was called "Seitei-gata." My experience has been that mention Seitei to any group of Iaido-ka, and they know what you are referring to. However, in Batto-do there is also a Seitei set (actually two -- one for Toyama Ryu and one for Nakamura Ryu), so it can be confusing in "mixed" company.

I'll just keep to my stubborn engineering ways ("Not broke, don't fix it."). YMMV. :toast:

R A Sosnowski
6th September 2003, 16:11
Originally posted by DCPan
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: Northeast Regional Iaido Seminar

We are holding a regional Iaido seminar on Sunday October 19, 2003 (10am-6pm) at the Community Education and Recreation Center of Jersey City New Jersey. Instructors are Kato Shozo sensei and Thomas Hooper sensei. Detailed Information and registration materials can be obtained by sending an email to:
pam_a_parker@yahoo.com

Thanks very much,
Pam Parker
Ken Zen Dojo

A Shinsa for grades up to 2-dan follows the seminar; you must attend the seminar in order to grade.

Seminar fee: US$20 (by 10 October) or US$30 "at the door."
Menjo fee: varies by grade and Japanese or English version (10 October deadline).

A four-page PDF file is available with all the details and the requisite registration forms.

The facility, CERC in Jersey City [NJ], is easy to get to by public or private transportation (CERC directions) (http://www.ny-naginata.org/naginata/cerc.html). There is adequate parking too -- I have been there a number of times for Naginata seminars, and it is one of the best public facilities that I have ever trained in.