PDA

View Full Version : Broken rib

Soulend
8th September 2003, 19:19
Anyone here ever break a rib? This has got to be one of the most singularly painful experiences of my life. Here I thought I had a high tolerance for pain, but was I wrong. Took me half an hour just to get out of bed. Was playing with the kids outside doing flips and cartwheel and my hands slipped in the wet grass. Never even hit it on anything, just felt my rib cage compress and snap under my own weight. Any idea of how long it may take to heal? With all the Percoset they gave me, I'm thinking it may be a while...

CEB
8th September 2003, 19:24
Just hope you don't catch a cold.

Yama Kuma
8th September 2003, 20:06
I've never actually broke a rib, but I cracked two of them about a year ago. It was during Colorado's huge fire season so everytime I would go outside I would start coughing. I remember at one point asking my wife to run me over with our car to put me out of my misery.

It took my ribs about a month before they stopped hurting everytime I moved or breathed, but I'm not sure how long it took for them to completely heal, but I think it was arounf four months.

Joseph Svinth
9th September 2003, 03:54
One of my students fell off the roof of his house. He did well, breaking just a couple ribs, actually. Anyway, he didn't have health insurance, so he went through all that *without* the Percoset. It was about four months before he showed up on the mat, and about six months before he was reasonably back to normal. FWIW, this is a guy with a fairly high pain threshhold, having had kidney stones, cancer, and Krohn's disease before this.

Although it will hurt like the devil, be sure you practice your deep breathing, otherwise you risk pneumonia.

Paul Kerr
9th September 2003, 06:27
I busted a lower rib training about 4 years ago, so I can sympathise with the pain - it HURTS.

I was back on the mat after 3 weeks (aikido), albeit in a limited capacity. After about 2 months I was back in shape.

I'd definitely second the advice on deep breathing. As Joseph says, it will hurt, though it will also help your recovery.

budojill
9th September 2003, 16:20
But I have to agree the pain was bad- just unrelenting. I didn't get any Percs, though :mad:
In addition to deep breathing I advise Vitamins- a Multi with minerals, Vitamin C, Zinc. Do NOT catch a cold.
After about a month I felt quite a bit better, just had to be very careful. I hope you feel very much better soon.

MarkF
9th September 2003, 17:20
"Percocet."

Be careful you don't mask any hidden problems. It may be painful, but try to go easy on the pain drug until you are sure you have no complications. Air pockets can form, press on a lung making breathing difficult. This sometimes leads to a chest tube to release air. Pneumonia certainly is possible. Treatment for a broken/cracked/dislocation/bruising is the same: support. If you have trouble breathing do to the elastic support don't use it but be very careful. It could be a while. If everything is going well after a bit of time then go crazy with the Percocet, pain doesn't have to be a part of life. That's why God had the poppy in mind.;)

Joe,
Didn't he fall down the stairs outside in back of the house as he was building the deck which goes along with it? Oh, and yes, he's not typical on the pain scale. Geez, he would demonstrate the fractures by moving the rib cage around and it appeared he had broken it into two pieces. I have to hand it to him (BTW: He told me he didn't have Crohn's, but something similar in symptomolgy). Nevertheless, he didn't even blink, and has the same look when he cocks his fist.

Mark

Soulend
9th September 2003, 17:21
Thanks for all the advice folks, that's just what the doctor said (though I couldn't figure out how breathing deeply would prevent something biological like pneumonia).

Strange though, she said that wrapping it wouldn't do any good. Can't understand how it's supposed to mend with it moving around.

Thanks budojill..my hat's off to those that went through this without any type of painkillers..geez...

Joseph Svinth
10th September 2003, 03:34
Mark --

Two different falls. The first fall was down the flight of stairs into the basement. That one, he did a forward roll out of, and ended up with nothing more than some bruises.

The second one was off the roof, onto the concrete wall out back by the sunroom. He was cleaning gutters. I think it pulled free while he was using it for support, or something like that. Anyway, it was about a 9' fall on his back, on concrete. Kids, don't try this at home.

As for blinking, remember that you saw him four months AFTER the injury. It was about a month before he was coming back to class to watch, and when you saw him, he was just starting to feel frisky again.

David --

For some background, try http://www.chiro.org/rc_schafer/mono-20.htm .

For PT, you might see how water aerobics and stuff like that works for you. The water should give you support, and you'll still be active.

Gary Dolce
10th September 2003, 06:06
I broke a rib skiing many years ago. Soon afterward, I contracted pneumonia. It was the most miserable experience of my life. Terrible coughing fits combined with excrutiating pain - the perfect combination! Plus the added benefit of multiple chest X-rays just to find out that yes, I broke a rib but there isn't much that can be done about it and yes, I have pneumonia and it will take a long time to recover.

Anyway, as I recall, my ribs still hurt when I sneezed, coughed, or laughed 6 months later. It's the injury that keeps on giving.

mews
16th September 2003, 00:00
Thanks for all the advice folks, that's just what the doctor said (though I couldn't figure out how breathing deeply would prevent something biological like pneumonia).
---

if you don't breathe deeply, the bottom of your lungs become unventilated, swampest places, a perfect breeding ground for germs.

so, breathe. i know it hurts. yup. everything everybody said, yup.

mew

Brian Owens
16th September 2003, 02:18
Originally posted by Soulend
Strange though, she said that wrapping it wouldn't do any good. Can't understand how it's supposed to mend with it moving around.

I'm not a doctor, just a former EMT and graduate massage practitioner, but I disagree with your doctor. Splinting with an elastic wrap or other device MAY help, by limiting your "chest breathing" and forcing you to "belly breath"--less movement of the rib cage that way.

It depends, of course, on exactly which rib(s) is/are broken, and where, but for the cost of an Ace wrap at the local druggist it couln't hurt to try.

Exhale (carefully), then quickly wrap it (CAREFULLY!) before you inhale again.

If you try this, let us know if it helps please.

Also, to help speed healing and reduce risk of infections like pneumonia, I always increase my vitamin C intake by one dose over my daily routine and take one extra multivitamin for several weeks after an injury. (I don't take individual vitamins other than C, nor megadose on any nutrients without consulting a naturopath or other healthcare practitioner that deals with nutritional therapy.)

Brian Owens
16th September 2003, 02:37
Originally posted by MarkF
Be careful you don't mask any hidden problems. It may be painful, but try to go easy on the pain drug until you are sure you have no complications. If everything is going well after a bit of time then go crazy with the Percocet, pain doesn't have to be a part of life. That's why God had the poppy in mind.;)

I agree completely with the first part: Go easy on the pain medication. Taking analgesics is like turning off a fire alarm...it doesn't put out the fire, it just blinds you to the problem.

I disagree with the second part: NEVER go crazy with drugs. Use just the amount you need to take it down to a (barely) tolerable level. You want to be able to tell when you're doing something that is causing damage.

Yojimbo558
24th September 2003, 01:00
Hi there,

If you actually broke the rib...then your healing time will be faster...for example, the False Ribs are called so because unlike the True Ribs they don't connect from the Spine to your breast bone.

False Ribs refer to the lower ribs which connect to the spine directly...but are connected to the breast bone via cartilge. If what you broke was the cartilge in the false ribs then this is going to take awhile.

Bones are awesome...the human body completely replaces the entire skeleton every 18 months which is why most breaks have mended within 6 weeks.

Muscle, tendons & ligaments however are dreadfully slow -- they can take up to 6 months to heal...if you behave yourself...or up to a year or longer if you don't.

Either one of these breaks as you are already aware of is nice and painful due to all the muscles that cross the ribs to assist with breathing.

I got to admit though that I was surprised to your being told not to tape the area...as I also thought that this would help.

Best of luck & take care,

Eric L. Bookin

Brian Owens
24th September 2003, 02:01
Originally posted by Yojimbo558
False Ribs refer to the lower ribs which connect to the spine directly...but are connected to the breast bone via cartilge.

Also known as "Floating Ribs" in American medical texts.

Soulend
29th September 2003, 11:33
Hi all, haven't checked this thread in a little while. I actually did get some wide ACE wrap, but only wore it for a day because it made the pain much worse. I laid off the Perc and went to Motrin instead, saving it for if I accidentally sneeze or bang it on something. Didn't like the way it made me feel. I still have some left, but probably won't need it now because it seems to be healing nicely. Just a little sore now.

Thanks for all the advice. :)

Brian Owens
29th September 2003, 11:40
Originally posted by Soulend
I actually did get some wide ACE wrap, but only wore it for a day because it made the pain much worse.

Well, I guess that teaches me not to "diagnose" over the internet. Sorry to hear it made you feel worse, but glad you're feeling better now.