PDA

View Full Version : Groper stops Yamanote-Line!

Striking Hand
12th September 2003, 06:55
Man accused of groping makes fatal leap into path of train

A man apprehended for molesting a woman at JR Ueno Station in Tokyo suddenly jumped off a platform and was fatally hit by an oncoming train, police said.

The man, who looked to be in the late 20s, was a passenger on a JR Yamanote Line train when a fellow passenger accused him of touching her body.

When the train arrived at Ueno Station in Taito-ku at about 6:20 a.m., Friday, the woman and a few other passengers forced him to get out and handed him over to station employees.

The employees were taking him to an office for questioning when he suddenly leaped off the platform and tried to escape, but he was hit by a train, Ueno Police Station officers said.

The East Japan Railway Co. (JR East) suspended operations of Yamanote Line trains until 7:27 a.m., inconveniencing some 62,000 morning commuters. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, Sept. 12, 2003)

Vapour
12th September 2003, 09:44
I'm not sure this is :D news.

Striking Hand
12th September 2003, 09:58
Originally posted by Vapour
I'm not sure this is :D news.

Not for the groper. ;)

Thinking of forwarding it to the Darwin Awards.

Meik Skoss
12th September 2003, 12:26
AND the man's family will likely be forced to pay the costs incurred by JR for stopping service and otherwise playing havoc with society. A friend of one of my budo teachers died on a level crossing and that created quite a bit of trouble for her surviving family and friends. I found out that they were facing a bill for over $100,000 because of the incident, unless they could prove it was unintentional.

Back in the '70s, when I was teaching English at a YMCA, a student in one of my classes died from being hit by a train at the station. The family was *very* insistent that we make statements about her being a "normal" young woman, with no overt signs of suicidal tendencies or depression. I didn't really know her that well, and she was certainly not a problem in my class, so I had no problem agreeing to that. But I had no idea at the time just how important it was. I thought it was a matter of family honor, of their not wanting their daughter to have any stigma attached to her death. It was certainly that in part, but it was a lot more, too.

Exorcist_Fist
14th September 2003, 12:13
I can't say I find this to be too amusing. While groping is certainly a problem, I don't think the man deserved to die, nor that we should gloat about it.

If he were a child molester, or a drug dealer, or something it might be a bit more justifiable. Still, he does have only himself to blame.

Meik, when were the laws forcing families to pay reparations put in place? I thought that didnt occur until the 80's.

Oh, and I find it sad and disturbing that JR can force a family to shell out huge amounts of cash, while the average police abuse case gets about 1000 dollars, etc...

Peter, when do you want to try to get the families together? My son turns 1 on the 27th. I am out of town for a bit, but will be back on next sunday.

Striking Hand
14th September 2003, 21:07
Originally posted by Silent Dan
Peter, when do you want to try to get the families together? My son turns 1 on the 27th. I am out of town for a bit, but will be back on next sunday.

Let me check the calendar, at the moment bit booked with demoes, creche activities & seminars as well as getting ready for the move.

28th I got a training session for our demo at the upcoming Taikai. There is alos another training session in October, but no date known yet, will be a Sunday though.

20th & 22nd I are open so far.

Best is let me know your schedule and we will try to adjust to yours.

Cheers.

Striking Hand
14th September 2003, 22:28
Dan.

Just checked with the Wife, on her sied any Sunday afternoon is ok, she does have a few meetings in the morning for the creche.

Cheers.

Vapour
14th September 2003, 23:40
Hmmm, another stupid feudal law from my country.

Why the hell someone should pay for someone else's fault even if it is a member of family.

At least, JR could put big sign saying "if you jump we will sue your family" then anyone thinking of sucide may do it somewhere else.