PDA

View Full Version : chinkon gyo hand postion

shugyosha
12th September 2003, 15:49
i have a question for you about the hand postion in kesshu and chikon gyo kongozen meditation.
i was wondering, because after studying different kind of meditation, it is the only one i found with the hand closed holding the thumb, most of the time the hands are open to enable the ki flow.
even in traditional zen meditation the hands are open, one over another.
could someone enlight me on this?
what is the fonction, meaning, or simbol for this hand position, i have never seen mudra this way, nor other prayer...

thanks

Steve Williams
13th September 2003, 20:46
The hand is not "closed" but both hands are open.

The palm of the left against the back of the right.

The left thumb is over the top of the "web" of the right thumb, the right thumb is laying on top of the left "thumb nuckle".

I hope that explains the position ;)

Tripitaka of AA
14th September 2003, 18:18
When carrying the Bo, for correcting Kenshi's posture, which hand is highest, Right or Left?

David Dunn
14th September 2003, 23:03
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
When carrying the Bo, for correcting Kenshi's posture, which hand is highest, Right or Left?

Good question David. I always carry it with migi-te uppermost. It might not be right.

The hand position that Jimi is asking about is called 'kesshu-in', and is open-handed as Steve pointed out. Moreover there is a slight pressure into Kikai, or Seika Tanden to remind you to breathe from there.

An alternative hand position is 'dokko-in', where you clasp the hands, but leave the index fingers extended, and the elbows are out, just below parallel, like gassho-in (gassho rei hand position). This is supposed to be used when meditation is difficult, like you're highly distracted.

shugyosha
18th September 2003, 11:52
The hand is not "closed" but both hands are open.
The palm of the left against the back of the right.

The left thumb is over the top of the "web" of the right thumb, the right thumb is laying on top of the left "thumb nuckle".

thanks for enlighten me
oh my, i had a wrong image of kesshu in my mind ^_^;;

now this sound closer to a classical zen position, got to try that :)

kongozen
22nd August 2008, 09:40
KESSHU GAMAE HAND POSITION -AS AN INTERPRETATION IN TERMS OF MUDRA

In Mudra, look under two names: Bhairav and Bhairavi Mudra. The Bhairav Mudra has the Right hand on top of the Left hand. It signifies Masculine, Contraction, Introspection and Warrior State of mind. Has a very Grounded, Material sense.

The Bhairavi Mudra has the Left hand on top of the Right. It signifies Feminine, Expansion, Cosmic Consciousness. Has a very lofty, Immaterial sense.

CLOSING OF ENERGY
Yes, you are right, the energy gets locked and closed to external influences. the moment the hands are interlocked in anyway, it means closed circuit. Keeping the interlocked hands at particular body parts signifies the shugyo of the Shidosha. Here in Shorinji Kempo, it is placed at the navel and executed in Standing or sitting posture. When standing and the kesshu is at the navel, it automatically moves the upper torso over the heals, which shifts the balance of the entire frame. To maintain the balance, one automatically regulates the breath and a certain tightness is experienced at the HARA or Seika Tanden. This is a wonderful feel of energy explosion that happens due to the position of the hands and the posture. It is better to have an experiencial learning of what I describe.

In sitting position, the hands which are still at the navel region, helps one to not nod or fall forward. It stabilizes the body during long hours of meditation or Chinkon Gyo. As the hours tick by, the hands leave the body torso and spread out on the crossed legs, exposing the palms of the hands. In this position, the entire arm forms a circle. Symbolising Eternity.

However, in Tantric practices, the hands are never interlinked but are placed on the laps with palm facing upwards which signifies a reception mode. If the hands are receptors then there should be a transmittor. The transmittor is usually the Guru, from whom he is undergoing discipline.

Further, the Kesshu Gamae signifies the "Seiku" : I am my own refuge and source of Strength, on whom may I rely if not myself..........."

MUDRAS AND BANDHANS
I appreciate your outlook very much and especially trying to look at it from Yogic Scientific View. May I know more about you and your life. Thank you.

kongozen
22nd August 2008, 09:49
CLASSICAL ZEN POSITION

To understand the above caption, let us understand the very word called 'ZEN'.
there is a statement in everyday speaking in Indian language known as Hindi. We say, "Dhyan se koro", which means "Do it carefully or be careful". The word in this statement to be picked up is 'Dhyan'. This word was pronounced in Chinese as 'Chan', in Korea as 'Chen' and in Japan as 'Zen'. And it landed up to be a totally different word all together. When it returned to India, India could not recognise it and thought it to be alien. All the world over, 'Zen' is considered to be an entirely new science or section of Buddhism. However, the workings of Zen is nothing but the heart beat of an ancient civilization which still exist, and that is India.

Which means, that a classic Zen posture can be nothing more than the body and mind as a WHOLE in any particular moment in Eternity. This is the first characteristic in Kongozen Shorinji Kempo, known as "KEN ZEN ICHINYO"