PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive E-Budo Article by Dave Lowry online now!

John Lindsey
16th September 2003, 16:00
BICYCLES AND BUDO, A LOOK AT KORYU "SNOBBERY" by forum member Dave Lowry.

Read it Here (http://www.e-budo.com/html/snobb.htm)

The link is also on our main page.

Comments?

kage110
16th September 2003, 16:30
As always Mr Lowry can be relied upon to come up with some very insightful writing. No doubt some people will not even read the article as they will class it as 'koryu snobbery' on the mention his name. Hey ho...:rolleyes:

Soulend
16th September 2003, 17:05
I've run across a couple of very senior, technically excellent and exceptionally knowledgeable koryu practicioners who aren't snobbish in the slightest. Very down to earth, helpful and friendly. When I asked one of them if he sometimes got together with some other koryu folks who will not be named here, he stated that "No, he doesn't talk with those people". As this reply was given with an accompanying look of mild disgust, I pressed why. "Kwai Chang Caine Syndrome", he replied. This apparently implies a sort of arrogance and smart-assedness toward those not in the clique - even toward those of different koryu, let alone non-koryu exponents. I didn't press further, figuring it was none of my business.

The analogy of the recumbent bike riding kid would be, in some cases I think, be better if the kid when asked about his bike looked down his nose at the Peugeot rider and made a rude a snotty remark that he would not understand such a complex piece of equipment, and that he wouldn't bother telling him about it as it would be a waste of his time. "I read somewhere that the recumbent bike is actually cheaper to produce thaen a standard 10-speed..", begins our standard bike pedaler to he of the interesting contraption. "What the hell would you know?! Go and learn the argot of recumbent bike riders and study at 'Le Funnye Louking Bike' riding school in France for a few years, and then you will be worthy of speaking to me!" he cries, as he farts loudly in disdain and speeds away from our hapless 10-speed pedaler.

I don't think that the impression of 'snobbery' comes from the "unwashed masses" not recognizing the skill, encyclopedic knowledge, and authority of those to whom the label is levied. Everyone should know that some of these guys are true experts in the field, certainly in the West, and to argue koryu with them would be ludicrous. It seems that the label is applied due to perceived arrogance, defensiveness, and pompousness. In most cases it seems to have less to do with anything koryu-related than with the attitude presented by the alleged 'snob'.

Having trained extensively for many years, being able to speak and write Japanese, having been granted menkyo in an authentic tradition that spans many generations under the tutelage of a true master - these are all very laudable and enviable things. They speak truly of the dedication and character of those that achieve this. But a Nobel Prize winning physicist, who after having studied at Oxford his entire adult life has formulated a Unified Field Theory while simultaneously dabbling in chemistry and finding a cure for cancer but who acts like an ass to people, is still an ass. Just a very knowledgeable and famous one. At least this is how he will be remembered by those he was rude to.

Not to claim that anyone is or has been an ass, a snob, or anything of the sort, but this is the idea I get concerning the koryu snobbery thing. Good article though, as always Mr. Lowry is an excellent author.

Happy bicycling!

Soulend
16th September 2003, 18:57
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it is just some individuals the world over are simply more predisposed by nature to 'snobbishness' or 'arrogance' once expertise in a field is gained. Perhaps it's not neccesarily a koryu thing, but would be the same if the individual were experienced in karate, chado, or Wing Chun.

Some koryu folk seem more formal and serious, some are party animals. Some aren't fond of tattoos, others are covered with them ;)