PDA

View Full Version : @$$ blocked by censoring software?

Soulend
16th September 2003, 23:52
I see that the word "ass" is now (presumably) blocked and replaced with "!!!". Is there a way for it to simply block the word "ass" by itself, as it is replacing even legitimate uses of those three letters, such as '!!!ess', 'b!!!', 'cr!!!', etc.?

Brian Owens
17th September 2003, 02:00
Since several of us are posting on this topic on the same day, it must be a new "feature." I've noticed it in words like assassin, but the word "!!!" in quotes seems to get through.

Will we need to write about Nija "!!!""!!!"ins from now on?

:)

Brian Owens
17th September 2003, 02:03
Hmmm. Now I'm really confused. Assassin got through on mine, but "!!!" didn't. Yet in Soulend's post above it did.

What gives?

Soulend
17th September 2003, 02:50
Ancient Chinese secret for fooling online text censors, grasshopper. If you are using IE, go to View, then Source, then read my post.

Actually, I'm sorry I did it now as John doesn't want that word on here anymore. I just felt kind of dumb using @$$ three times in a single post, when I wasn't using the word in a rude context to begin with.

Brian Owens
17th September 2003, 22:27
Well, I went to View Source but what I saw was all gobblediguk to me. I'm only a 6th kyu in computer-do.

Time to go to a "Windows Dojo.com" I guess.

Soulend
17th September 2003, 23:19
Brian, you include UBB code within the word, like a{I}{/I}ss. Of course, you substitute [ and ] for { and }. I used those here so it would be visible. The censor cannot interpret UBB code or HTML as anything more than just a bunch of characters, so it doesn't match the offending word and it moves on. The UBB software itself can interpret these, so it sees it as "turn on italics, turn off italics", and the word appears as you see.