PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to win sumo.

Vapour
17th September 2003, 00:05
Our judo club for weekends where we practice together with kids has sumo section where starting from smaller kids, people will sumo until they loose. Then the winner stay in the circle until s/he loose and the last wo/man standing is the winner.

Now I occasionally win the match to the end but this is rare. Now, I know the basic of sumo tactics. Keep yourself as low as possible to the point where you can still remain uplight. keep your armpit tightly closed and charge.

Can anyone give other advices

I'm sort of typical Japanese farm boy built. Short, stocky with big short leg. I think I have the lowerst point of gravity but I think I'm the shortes among the senior in our clubs.

:nin:

MarkF
17th September 2003, 11:19
You have the "shortest" problem/advantage, too, huh?

I've never done sumo, but I've always thought that a full charge is not the best of attacks. Of course, that really is only effective if the other sumotori isn't waiting on a charge, experience is a big factor in one who does charge, but once you start you can't change your mind. From much of sumo I've seen, the most effective technique (this is assuming one is in the traditional posture) is a good, hard slap, then sidestepping pushing the other to the ground or out with the other hand/arm.

It is a bit different though, in the amateur ranks. I've seen the US Sumo championships (which is strange, as it is an open tournament so Americans rarely win), and charging seems to be more controlled, or perhaps the sumotori are just hesitant due to the possible reverse by the opponent.

As I said, I've never done sumo so it could be the best attack possible.

Mark

Vapour
17th September 2003, 15:39
Thanks. I think shorty's only tactics is to get it close and get it under.

The opponent I hate most is the one who issue multiple hand push to prevent me from entering. Another thing is that our circle is made of two judo belt so it is considerably smaller than usual sumo ring. So going for push off make more sence. Plus judo player when they sumo tend not to charge. An obvious habit developed from judo match. I, on the other hand, charge forward immediately after HAJIME.

Of course, I never point this out to others in my club. It's my S-E-C-R-E-T. :D

Oniyama
24th September 2003, 20:06
I am still new to Sumo (Only been doing Sumo for about 8 months).
Nevertheless, here is my advice.
1) In the tachiai (initial clash), if you don't take the initiative your opponents's initiative will take you. You ve got to get off the line fast. 80% of the Sumo matches are decided at the tachiai.
2) Posture prior to the tachiai: Your legs wide for a) lower your center of gravity and b) give you a broader base. Don't get your butt too low. Many beginners, myself included, have done this. The problem is that you lose precious time coming off the line. Some people have the probelm of having their butt too high and thier head too low. In that case it is easy to be pushed head first to the ground. I also find that having my back parallel to the ground gives me a better postition. It allows me to be low but not be bent over too much. I will need to come up a little bit. Being in a flat back position I don't have too far to come up. The posture is very much like that of a track runner or American football player, except both feet are even (not standing with one foot back).

I'm at work right now and this is all I can think of at the moment. I'll try to post more later.

Take care,
John Hidalgo

MarkF
25th September 2003, 12:27
Hey, Youji,
I know, I'll always have the tendency for matches using the type of off-balancing I'm used to, and I'm a fan, not a participant. From your description of yourself, you have a nice advantage compact but stocky: big. Those are the guys I've always had the most trouble with in shiai, as I always trained for taller foe, and much thinner ones. In my days, we were lined up according to height so once in a while, I'd be matched up against a short, stocky player, or the smallest player on the other side was six feet tall. The tall ones didn't give me half the problems the shorter ones did, but I digress...this isn't the judo forum.

I also tend to over-analyze matches so if I did get involved I would have a lot of bad habits to break right from the start.

Oh, yes, posture, Tai. I noticed that watching the amateur championships. Head up always. The Eastern Europeans/former Soviet Bloc countries, the sumotori are in such good shape and have it all over just about everyone, it seemed. Strong, big but not overly fat, just great technique.

Mark

Vapour
9th October 2003, 13:18
Last week, I manage to beat 5 in a row but lost against the last guy. He is bigger and stockier than me so he has all the advantage I have but better. I will get him one day.

:nin:

One thing about doing sumor wearing judo gi is that bigger guy could grap your shoulder and keep you away from you using grip. At that point, when I tried to get close, he can use my momentum to push me down. So I really have to keep my root.

Thanks for the advice on initiative and posture. I will see how this works out.