PDA

View Full Version : Ever get bored?

David Dunn
17th September 2003, 23:12
Well I did. A google search with

"david dunn" shorinji

gave some unremarkable links and this (http://mysticself.com/CustomPage5.html)

Tripitaka of AA
18th September 2003, 09:16
Oh my! :eek:

David, what have you found? I am finding it hard to exercise a "Christian" restraint. I feel the need to laugh in a silly and mocking way, but I realise that this would be wrong. I daresay that many people find the stuff written about Shorinji Kempo to be risible in one way or another (overblown, exaggerated claims or blind obediance to the teachings of the Founder can be a sign of over enthusiastic Kenshi trying to please their seniors), whether it is articles in local papers or websites. That is the kindest way to describe some of the claims of the publicity copy in these messages.

Perhaps because it is so far removed from my own experience and lifestyle, I am finding the website you linked to is making me laugh more and more with each new entry. I'm sure that they are all very well-intentioned, earnest and pure, but it has tickled my funny bone, to be sure. I must stop reading it.

KempoCat
18th September 2003, 14:02
thats funny, but when i put my name but without shorinji kempo, the first thing i got was a profile of gay chinese dude :cry: !?!?! haha.

David Dunn
18th September 2003, 14:50
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
I'm sure that they are all very well-intentioned, earnest and pure, but it has tickled my funny bone, to be sure. I must stop reading it.

It never ceases to amaze me how many ranks people can pick up. Some of these guys are yudansha in 6 or 7 systems after 12 years training.

What's more, why do people spell jujutsu as jujitsu?

:laugh:

Kari MakiKuutti
18th September 2003, 15:48
Originally posted by David Dunn

What's more, why do people spell jujutsu as jujitsu?

Is that not comparable to using gi instead of dogi ???

Kari Mäki-Kuutti

David Dunn
18th September 2003, 15:54
Originally posted by Kari MakiKuutti
Is that not comparable to using gi instead of dogi ???

I think so Kari, that's why I asked :laugh:

Tripitaka of AA
18th September 2003, 19:13
As a picture of Martial Arts training in the USA, it is just the tip of the iceberg. After all, these are the ones who want to go all Christian about it. I daresay there are quite a few that want to stay all mystical East, others who want a Karate of Islam and maybe a few Heavy Metal Karate (not so much Kerrang! as Kersmakk! - with dollar-signs in their eyes as the cash register goes Ker-ching!).

No wonder the phrase "McDojo" has come to be used so easily in the US. Every hick town needs a Burger Bar (Serving Scrotum Burgers, as Jamie Oliver might say), it seems they also have a Karate class too (Kurotty, as the US E-Budo advise me is the popular pronunciation.