PDA

View Full Version : MA Book collectors thread

Budoka 34
19th September 2003, 12:47
Ok the book reviews thread is still alive so I thought I'd give a Collectors thread a go.
List links to used and new books worth having.
Share ideas for finding, obtaining, and maintaining rare titles, etc.

I'm on the trail of Ed Parkers books now, with his first two found locally.

270 titles and still going.(unless my wife hides the credit card again.):D

:smilejapa

-B-
20th September 2003, 05:38
There are a number of Parker books at one of my favorite sites -

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearch?ph=2&an=parker&sn=martial&sortby=2

Mekugi
20th September 2003, 09:20
Secrets of Chinese Karate.....hmmm.....

sounds a little strange, no?

Review:

"Scarce hardcover printing. "Here revealed for the first time in English, are the secrets of the original Chinese art of Karate. Unlike many books which deal with the later Japanese version, which are copies, this one demonstrates the highly refined Chinese system which dates back almost four thousand years. Much of the material here has been translated from the original Chinese sources."

Whatda.....Ed Parker could speak Chinese- and was good enough to translate archaic texts? Amazing and unbelievable. Here all this time I thought that Karate was a MA formed on the Ryukyu Islands with Chinese influence. When did the Chinese start using Japanese words like "Karate" in place of their own language?

Pshaw!

-Russ

Budoka 34
22nd September 2003, 12:19
Russ,

Don't blame Parker!:D
You should see some of the stuff the sellers write about the books offered.
I had seen a copy of Mas Oyama's "This is Karate" offered as "the secrects of the deadly chinese martial art, Karate.";)

Mekugi
23rd September 2003, 07:40
BLAHHHH!!

I mean Ed Parker was probably a good Martial Artist and all, but that reaks of downright ingnorance. What did the editor force him to use the word Karate? If it's just in the title, that is fine...that's the editor...but the content?

Egads and gadzooks! :cry:

-R

Originally posted by Budoka 34
Russ,

Don't blame Parker!:D
You should see some of the stuff the sellers write about the books offered.
I had seen a copy of Mas Oyama's "This is Karate" offered as "the secrects of the deadly chinese martial art, Karate.";)

Budoka 34
23rd September 2003, 12:17
Russ,

Well I can't (or will not) argue with that.:D
I'm looking at copies of his "insights" books to ad to the collection.
As for Ed Parker being a good martial artist, well, he trained ELVIS.;)

Budoka 34
23rd September 2003, 18:35
ABE is good but I've had better luck with www.bookfinder.com
and www.sportboek.com (who would have thought the Netherlands would be such a book paradise?)at finding rare titles at resonable prices.

Occasionally Half.com or e-bay have some surprises. I think e-bay is getting just as expensive as retail.:(

Now if any has a line on "Canon of Judo" or "This is Karate" cheap I'll be happy to listen.;)

Good hunting!

Budoka 34
25th September 2003, 18:42
I am always looking for books, manuals (especially school manuals), pamphlets, etc of nonmainstream or rare styles of Karate, Jujutsu, Aikido, Nihon Kobudo, Okinawan Kobudo, Kenjutsu and Iaido.
I have some KoeiKan, Sukiho, Chito ryu and Ashihara Karate and would love to find others especiallly from Europe.
I am also very interested in finding some of the rarer Shorinji Kempo titles.

Can any one help?

I know I'm not the only collector here.:D

Budoka 34
19th October 2003, 19:03
Well that last post got me nowhere!
At least my other options are paying off.
Kiyose Kakae's "Complete Jiujitsu Manual":D
M, Finns "Kendo no Kata" and about a half dozen lesser titles.

Come on guys, where are you?:rolleyes:

Budoka 34
19th October 2003, 19:56
Can anyone explain why I find all the best titles in the U.K.?
Some of the best books I've found this year have come from the U.K. and Netherlands.
Great shape and good prices even after shipping costs.
Do the Brits hoard books?;)