PDA

View Full Version : Samurai as modern role models?

John Lindsey
21st September 2003, 16:21
Tom Cruise recently said the following:

Cruise said of the film's theme of bushido, the moral code of the samurai class: "This is very personal to me. I strongly believe in the values of honour, loyalty and compassion."

Opinions?

Martyn van Halm
21st September 2003, 17:36
Last year he was into Scientology. Now he believes in the Code of the Samurai, written down in a time when the Samurai were in decline. Next year?

Neil Hawkins
22nd September 2003, 01:21
Honor, Loyalty & Compassion are fairly common morals that are synonymous with many beliefs and religions. It is easy to say you follow them, but it's all in the doing, not the talking.

The movie is set during the last days of the Samurai isn't it? Was the Bushido of Nitobe topical then, or did that come much later?

Haven't seen anything about the movie, is it out in the US yet? Is it any good?

Neil

Jock Armstrong
22nd September 2003, 05:36
The movie should be fun. Nitobe wrote his "Bushido" around 1905. The Satsuma rebellion was in the 1870's {I think but don't quote me- I haven't got any ref material handy!". I don't remember seeing much about compassion in writings, and none at all in "Hagakure". Loyalty to death and blind obedience of orders were what the daimyo wanted.

Mekugi
22nd September 2003, 07:35
I dunno, I think he believes "in the values of honour, loyalty and compassion." Whether that was what the warrior class of old Japan was or not, is up to speculation.

I wonder if we could get Tom Cruise on here? Would he dare? It may be worth a try to have him come talk about his experiences with this movie. Yeah, right....AHAHAHAHAA.

-Russ

tochiro
28th September 2003, 03:36
I'm glad he feels that way but will we see many samuri in the movie or just the american who becomes a samuri and tries nobly to save the real samuridying cause.They could call this "Dancing with Samuri".

R. Huffstutler

John Lindsey
28th September 2003, 04:22
If you go to the official website and view the trailer, I think it will answer your question.

freedom_fighter
4th October 2003, 18:10
What movie are we talking about, here?

T.C. Goss

tochiro
6th October 2003, 17:16
The movie is the Last Samuri starring Tom Cruise coming out in November or December of 2003.I believe it is loosely based on an American who is trying to help modernize the Japanese army who gets invovled in the last rebellion of the samuri.I think during the movie he gets enamoured with the Samuri lifestyle and ends up helping them instead.I don't know how true to life this is.I would expect not much but it might be worth seeing.

Ray Huffstutler