PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The Transporter

John Lindsey
24th September 2003, 16:56
Man, I don't know how I missed this one. It is a fun little movie with some great martial art scenes in it. Jason Statham is the main actor, who also was in the movies "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch."

Does anyone know what martial arts Jason studied?

Margaret Lo
24th September 2003, 17:07
I thought he studied movie kung fu! Nice and strong fellow, a bit stiff. The actress is now in a new flick called "So Close" sister assassins dealing mayhem in Chanel. It's showing in NYC so I'm getting there ASAP.

Kill Bill looks good too from the quickie commercial I saw.

M

Earl Hartman
24th September 2003, 23:30
Hey, Maragaret!

Yeah, the new Tarantino flick looks like good Quentin Fu: all style and no substance, a completely derivative, glossy MTV schlock-fest disguised as a real movie, chock-a-block with self-referential, ironic, ultra-hip pomo attitude and pointless references to the effluvia of pop culture.

In other words, a lot of trashy fun, just like his other flicks.

I want to see it just to see what Uma Thurman looks like swinging a katana in a yellow jump suit while doing back flips. Looks like it should have a lot of gratuitous gore.

Walker
25th September 2003, 07:47
Originally posted by Earl Hartman
Looks like it should have a lot of gratuitous gore. Oh yeah, “This Film is Not Yet Rated!”

I think Quentin has been in a slide for quite a wile and hope he has pulled it out.

Totally unrelated stream of consciousness segue:
If you like well made movies check out his old partner Rodger Avrey’s dramatization of Bret Easton Ellis’ “Rules of Attraction.” Blacker than hell and pretty faithful to the original novel. I think it’s pretty brilliant moviemaking and didn’t get nearly the play it deserved. Look for a slam of Tarantino during the opening party scene. Not your daddy’s “Less than Zero.”

David T Anderson
25th September 2003, 23:49
The Transporter was good fun. My favorite scene was the fight in the bad guy's country house...loved those wall sconces!

I saw my first TV promo for Kill Bill today...looks like lots of fun, esp. if you have a couple of drinks under yer belt first to dull the critical faculties...

kwilfar
2nd October 2003, 15:26
Hi,
I have friend of mine thats a great fan and says he has a black belt in karate ( don't know the style though) and he was part of the olympic swimming team .

Luís Quintino

Chiburi
3rd October 2003, 13:59
I saw The Transporter on DVD a while ago, and I think that on one of those extras (that come along with all DVDs these days), there was a question on that. If I remember correctly, he answered that he had never done any martial arts what so ever, and had only been trained for 6 months or so before shooting the flick by a Chinese wushu/kung fu choreographer.

I've also heard stuff about him belonging to an Olympic dive team etc., but I myself don't think that any of those claims are true.

Generally, I believe that the movie had potential for becoming a classic, even, but they didn't quite get there. Good fun, and interesting to say at least!

Cheers,

HitokiriBattousai
3rd October 2003, 16:40
The main actor in "The Transporter" was also in Jet Li's "The One", and in the behind the scenes feature he said that he wanted Jet to show him some kung fu for the movie, which lead me to believe that it was his first exposure to that kind of style.

dingodog1
20th February 2004, 19:07
...are both 80's Marines and something I found funny was that I had seen the movie, Kill Bill, once already when I went with him. Now this guy is a police officer and former grunt, complete with CQB experience and L.I.N.E. instructor(80's Marine martial arts program). He is about to go get his Level III certification from Master Chai Sirisute and he turned to me in the movie and said, almost like a soccer mom, "It's a lot of gratuitous violence in this". If you knew this guy or anyone like him you'd know why this really struck me as funny. I told him, "You're getting old!" Actually, he was in in the early 90's, Gulf War, vet.

Sochin
20th February 2004, 21:31
It isn't the gratuitious violence of The Transporter that dismays, it is the absolute degredation of women that is objectionable, and the hero worship of the psychopathic personality.

kwilfar
21st February 2004, 12:33
Nowadays people want to see violence but in some movies like Enemy at the gates (the initial scene) it has a purpose and fits in the story. Other movies like Hannibal, it is sensless. Kill Bill is uninspired and just a hyperviolent anime turned movie, although above average. But that's Quentin Tarantino signature.

Chrono
21st February 2004, 22:50
I just saw The Transporter the other day, and I thought it was pretty good. Shu Qi was in Gorgeous with Jackie Chan so I knew could act.

The fighting was good enough for me. Though, I will never know why sometimes they have to have their shirt off while fighting.

Jon

dingodog1
22nd February 2004, 17:20
Originally posted by Sochin
It isn't the gratuitious violence of The Transporter that dismays, it is the absolute degredation of women that is objectionable, and the hero worship of the psychopathic personality. I was referring to Kill Bill. Is that the one you're talking about? You definitely summed it up.