PDA

View Full Version : Dojos in Southern California?

Concentric
25th September 2003, 18:08
I am new to this whole jo business, but I find a stick is a constant companion of mine while out and about, so it seems like it might be a good idea to learn how to use it. I'm also interested in Japanese martial culture.

Can anyone recommend a dojo in the Southern California region that teaches Jojutsu? As a side bar, I'm also interested in sojutsu as well. Even as part of a larger curriculum, it would be great. I live in Orange County.

Thanks,

Jason

Concentric
25th September 2003, 18:52
I'd also be interested to see if you can recommend any training videos on the subject that are good quality.

Regards,

CJM

28th September 2003, 02:26
I believe t Shimabukuro Sensei in San Diego teaches Jo in addition to Eishin Ryu Iai. There are some dojo that teach jo as part of their Aikido curriculum, and I believe Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo (there's a study group in Anaheim) teaches Jo as part of their curriculum.
You may also want to look up Shibata sensei of the Aikido Seishinkai (in Lomita) as he also teaches Sosho Ryu, which teaches Jo as part of their curriculum.

As for Sojutsu, I don't know of anyone in OC who teach this weapon. The closest would probably be "Atarashii Naginata" in Gardena area.

Hope this helps,
Steven