PDA

View Full Version : Tony Blauer

Suyematsu
30th September 2000, 19:59
Hello to everyone on the forum. I have just discovered this little haven on the net and am very excited about the chance to learn and exchange information.

For the last couple of years I have been studying everything I can get my hands on from TCMS and Tony Blauer. He offers some powerful insights into the psychodynamics of confrontations and how stress affects neuromuscular control.

I've been involved in some form of Martial art or combat sport for the last 33 years, but I have never seen a more complete, scientific system.

I am also familiar, though I have never had the pleasure of studying with, Mr. Bradley Steiner. He seems to have a very practical, realistic approach to handling confrontations which are 'up close and personal'.

I was wondering if others on the forum might like to share training tips, drills and other ideas.

I apologize in advance if this kind of thing is outside the scope of the forum.

Anyway, good luck to all. Train hard and stay safe.

Mike Suyematsu

Rolling Elbow
1st October 2000, 01:25
I probably have little to share in terms of drills and tips because I am a student, however, I'd be interested in what you might suggest..

Suyematsu
1st October 2000, 07:07
Hello Michael,

Though I have had the opportunity to do some teaching and coaching, I consider myself to be a student first and foremost. Interestingly, I've probably learned as much or more from my students as I have from anyone else.

My first suggestion would be to check out Tony Blauer. His website is at http://www.tonyblauer.com. There is a library of videos, audios and a book refered to as the Personal Defense Rediness manual that are loaded with drills, concepts and ideas about how to prepare yourself for a real street confrontation. He has spent the last 20 years researching what really happens in a street confrontation and has developed training drills which address the psychology of fear management, conflict management, de-escalation strategies and physical tactics that really work when the heat is on...Awesome.

Next, I would suggest you examine how your performance erodes when you are under stress. Many of the technical moves we learn go out the window in a high stress situation.
In general, Mr. Blauer teaches, and I whole heartedly agree with, using big, gross motor moves like knees, elbows, palm heels and eye rakes. The very essence of Close Quarter Combatives!

But wait! None of this stuff will ever work if you are frozen with fear. Time for a Quote from Tony, "The mind navigates the body." Unless you can manage the fear and emotion present in a violent confrontation, your physical tools go out the window. Therefore, we must train the brain...

If it is permitted by the forum moderator I will post some more specific information in the future. My main purpose here is to learn and exchange so we can all benefit.

Sorry if this is a little long winded.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Rolling Elbow
1st October 2000, 16:12
I will definitely agree that fine technique goes out the window under stress for people such as myself..,(although I think it goes out considerably less as a person gets better and gains more experience), so by all means, besides a bit of advertising for Mr. Blauer I'd give you the thumbs up to post some stuff on here..then again, my opinion does not count for much on this forum lol.

Mike Kirkland
7th October 2000, 12:07
Hi Mike,

No offense, but you sound like an infomercial. Are you one of Tony's guys using E-budo to promote the system? Or are you here to "exchange" ideas and information like you say?

I know Tony or his guys have been hitting all the major boards, which I think is great if it is done straight up and with his permission AND the permission of the moderators. So, please don't take offense at my question.

On a side note, I'm one of Tony's fans and hope to attend the SPEAR course in Florida next year.

Mike Kirkland

Suyematsu
7th October 2000, 16:52
Mike,
Thanks for posting and please accept my apologies if my enthusiasm for Tony Blauer and TCMS sounds like a (Yuck) infomercial...

I consider myself to be a student of Self-Defense. I am open to new ideas and hope that we can all benefit from the exchange of information here.

My passion for Mr. Blauer's work is partly because in it, I have discovered what I have been searching for most of my adult life. At first my Ego would not let me accept that some Canadian guy several years my junior could really be all that good. I had read about him for years but never really took the time to investigate his theories and work.

Once I gave up the Ego B.S., I had a kind of 'awakening' in which I realized practically every idea, innovation and theory I was working on, along with many of the 'discoveries' I made were already covered, in great detail, by Mr. Blauer.

Once I quit 'comparing' and just started 'evaluating' it was like being eight years old Christmas time again. I was putting everything to the test, learning and flowing like a kid again.

Now Mr. Blauer has a saying, it goes,"Good information does not displace good information."

Think about it.

Pad up as best you can and try your stuff against realistic attacks with real resistance. Do it with non Martial Arts types, who don't "punch right" and see what happens. This is NOT sparring. If you can't deal with your own doubts and emotions you might just end up defeating yourself before you get started...

This is the area where Mr. Blauer's work really shines.

Mike, I'm really sorry if this sounds corny or contrived. It's from the heart. No one knows it all. We can all learn from each other. That's what I'm here for.

Regards,

Mike Kirkland
9th October 2000, 02:10
I'm looking forward to your posts and the information exchange.

Mike Kirkland

Jeff Cook
9th October 2000, 20:28
Mike,

As the moderator of this forum, I would like to welcome you and put you at-ease as far as sharing information. That's what this board is about. If you want to financially promote Mr. Blauer's system, there are appropriate places elsewhere on this board to do that. If you want to share ideas and principles, you are in the right place!

To start with, can you tell us why you are so enthusiastic about Mr. Blauer's system, in a little more detail? How do you know that his training system makes people effective at self-defense/CQC? What is your measurement of success?

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

Mike Kirkland
9th October 2000, 22:15
Jeff,

Tony regularly posts on http://www.submissionfighting.com . Go to the UNDERGROUND forum and then to "Mental Edge". Tony is the host and freely discusses a variety of topics.

I know you love CQB type stuff. Blauer has taken the law enforcement and military world by storm the last few years. I think you'd like his training philosophies.

MK

Suyematsu
10th October 2000, 02:18
Jeff,

I'll be posting soon on the subjects you have suggested. I receive no financial compensation from Tony Blauer. I'm just jazzed about his system.

At the moment I am late for my workout, as soon as time permits I'll get some thoughts down for your edification.

Thanks for the starting off points for the discussion. These are the kinds of questions I was hoping would come up..

Back soon..

Mike

Rolling Elbow
14th October 2000, 20:23
Unfortunately I do not have any training tips that I can offer anyone, however, I have begun to notice that I waste a great deal of time doing abslutely nothing (tv, internet etc..) I have therefore decided that my time would be much better spent working on combat conditioning..It is no secret that conditioning plays a vital role in combat, hell, I feel tired in high stress situation drills so imagine a real fight. Working out is fine, i do that, but i need something more. Something that will place stress on the lungs, coordination and fighting skill/form..I have yet to pick my instructors brain on this because i have just today decided that i need to get more involved.(and it is the weekend) Now I'm not looking for 3 hrs a day "Ron collins training", but I would appreciate it if any of you wrestlers, or Blauer enthusiasts (as well as any other well conditioned MA who could give me some ideas) wouldn't mind throwing together a few simple ideas or suggestions. Keep in mind that due to responsibilities, the members of our dojo are rarely available to train on the weekends. I am therefore training for conditioning alone, outside of class time. Keep in mind aswell that the weather in Canada gets extremely cold starting in November.

Thanks.

Suyematsu
15th October 2000, 14:30
Michael,

I know what you mean about not having enough time for training, work, family, etc.

In my personal opinion, a fighter needs to train anaerobically more than aerobically. Of course you need an aerobic base, for general health and fitness, but a real fight in the street is usually a breif, intense affair. We are more like 'sprinters' than we are 'marathon runners'.

One of the routines I use when training solo is based on an 'endurance circuit' I got from Tony Blauer's PDR manual.

To do it, you need two heavy bags, one standing and one on the floor, and a timer.

After doing a few rounds loosening up by skipping rope, shadow boxing and shadow grappling, I position my free standing Wave Bag next to my canvas heavy bag which I have placed on the ground.

I work with 30 second bursts with 10 second rests between the standing bag and the one on the ground. Begin standing in front of the free standing bag in a Non-Violent Posture. (One of the things that Mr. Blauer strongly advocates is you must learn to fight from where you are, not giving your opponent the chance to see you are ready to fight.)

Ready, set, go! Jam the bag with eye pokes, rakes, elbows, palm heels, knees and low line kicks. Just keep going and flowing. Visualize your attacker. Keep moving.

When the bell sounds slip, trip, miss a kick or whatever and
'fall' to the heavy bag on the ground. Start the grounded round by jamming and doing some kind of a ballistic entry, like a head butt, palm heel, etc. and 'mount' the bag. Here you work the same tools, but you can also visualize joint breaking or locking opportunuties relative to your position. Move from mount to cross side and stomach on face position.

When the round ends, get up safely,(TCMS teaches a Tactical get up,) and go back to the standing bag. Practice hitting, but also miss and see where you end up and contine the fight from there.

While on the ground, try kicks, knees and elbows from un orthodox positions. Roll the bag into your guard and fight from there.

During the 10 second 'rest' period you can inject crunches, pushups, squat thrusts, mountain climbers or just puke.

Use your imagination to create scenarios and try to verbally defuse the situation while you are tired and out of breath.

Work up to 10 'sprints'. Then you can go for 15 or 20 second durations.

Well I've got to go now. I hope this helps.

Take Care,

Mike

Kevin73
10th December 2000, 13:50
I recently just bought a book called "Combat Conditioning" by Matt Furey. His websites are:

http://www.combatwrestling.com
http://www.mattfurey.com

They have a bunch of ideas for it and give some exercises to try. I started the workouts and I couldn't believe how hard they actually were. They combine aerobic and anaerobic (hope I spelled those right) using your body weight.

Sean Mulligan
11th December 2000, 18:10
Hello,

Firstly i would like to introduce myself.

My name is Sean Mulligan and i have been a Police Officer for 15 years now, the last 6 as a member of our tactical unit. I am also our dept.'s Use of Force Instructor for uniform and Alternative Counter Mearures Co-ordinator for the Tactical Unit.
Like Mike, i am also with Blauer Tactical Systems and am certified in his SPEAR System, PDR Program and Ballistic Micro-Fight System.

To answer Jeff's question, i have used Tony Blauer's research on numerous occassions when confronted with potentially violent situations while in the field. I have found that what i have learned has helped me successfully identify, evaluate and control these incidents quickly.

I intentions are to participate in these threads, learning what i can and contributing when i can. I believe that although i do have certain experiences, what ever i may learn from this group as well as others will only make me stronger.

Hope to spend alot of time here.

Talk to ya soon.

Sean