PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Meik Skoss
2nd October 2003, 21:27
"HELP! I need somebody's HELP! Won't you please, please, help me?"

I am researching an article for a symposium in Kyoto, to be held next month. I will be presenting a paper on the classical martial arts and their transmission outside Japan. Although I know most of the systems and people who are doing that nowadays, I *do* need information about the earliest instructors/arts, particularly in England and Europe. If there's anybody out there in e-Budoland who can provide me with names and dates, that'd be terrific.

At the moment, as far as England is concerned, I know that Tani Yukio and Koizumi Gunji were two of the most important figures. They were both exponents of judo, but I believe that they had also studied one or another of the classical jujutsu ryu. Can somebody tell me what it was that these men did? Or point me to a resource?

I understand that Tenjin Shinyo-ryu and Ryoi Shinto-ryu were among the classical schools that came to Japan in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Does anybody know who the teachers were? Where they taught? Or if there are people who are still training in these arts in England?

I would also appreciate any information about Continental Europe, in particular France and Germany.

If you can respond in a hurry, that'd be a HUGE help to me. And thank you for any assistance.

Joseph Svinth
3rd October 2003, 03:14
A looong e-mail, with attachments, just went downrange.