PDA

View Full Version : Black eyes, facial deformities, excuses...

Mike Williams
5th October 2003, 19:19
So I come home from training today nursing a nice black eye (and fat lip).

No biggie, except I have to attend an important conference with work next week. Funnily enough, the last major conference I went to, I managed to pick up a shiner just before as well...

Anyway, I'll probably end up telling people I did it playing judo - Zhoo Zhitsu just takes too long to explain, and judo just sounds more respectable .

So how do you all explain away budo injuries to your colleagues and clients? Are you embarrassed by them? Does it affect your working relationships at all? Any advice for explaining it in a way that will make me sound tough and cool, but not like some raging psycopath? :D

Cheers,

Mike

Daishi
5th October 2003, 20:01
I always like to say I hit my eye on the bedpost... Usually people just laugh and don't ask any further.

Dale Heisler

TenguAteMyPuppy
6th October 2003, 04:43
nevermind

StanLee
6th October 2003, 08:38
Mike, I'll still like you even though your face looks as swollen as Pilsbury Doughboy's!

I haven't had any injuries to my face. But the only thing you'd see is major brusing on my wrists and arms. In fact, those on my arms are covered up by my work clothes.

I bet the girls in your office are loving this new and improved looking manly Mike!:D

Mike Williams
6th October 2003, 11:03
Tell me about it! I'm suffering all the p*ss-taking even as I type.

Anyway, ttt for more plausible excuses - I'm too nice a guy to live with the thug image for long.

Cheers,

Mike

kage110
6th October 2003, 11:18
Sorry Mike,

Can't help you with any useful excuses but this does remind me of the time I met a guy who was a senior member of one of the big unions in the UK. He had at one time been quite into full contact karate competitions but he had to give up fighting as the bruised and battered face did not go down well when negotiating with the senior management of companies. He was rock climbing when I met him (we were on a climbing course together) but I guess explaining away climbing injuries does not create the same problems that explaining MA injuries does.;)

MarkF
6th October 2003, 11:53
So how do you all explain away budo injuries to your colleagues and clients? Are you embarrassed by them?

Hey, I'm in scrubs all day, there is nothing to explain.;)

Mark

Mike Williams
6th October 2003, 12:00
Hey Mark,

When I saw that you had replied to this thread, I was sure it was to lecture me about my plan to misappropriate the good name of judo... :)

Cheers,

Mike

StanLee
6th October 2003, 12:15
Mike is really a cluddly bear deep inside really:D

StanLee
6th October 2003, 13:45
Actually, I did bruise my right foot at kendo on saturday. Our dojo moved to a new place near hoxton and the floor in the sports centre is a bit harder and less sprung.

We were warned but when one is the thick of action, that thought get left behind...

TenguAteMyPuppy
6th October 2003, 18:47
http://www.geocities.com/tedregis666/

In other words, just smile. :D

Mike Williams
6th October 2003, 19:15
LOL! I had forgotten about Fight Club.

Oh well, off to the conference tomorrow - we'll see what sort of reaction I get.

Cheers,

Mike

TenguAteMyPuppy
6th October 2003, 23:06
This was actually the quote I thought fit the thread so well...

M Y B O S S S E N D S me home because of all the dried blood on my pants, and I am overjoyed.

The hole punched through my cheek doesn't ever heal. I'm going to work, and my punched-out eye sockets are two swollen-up black bagels around the little piss holes I have left to see through. Until today, it really pissed me off that I'd become this totally centered Zen Master and nobody had noticed. Still, I'm doing the little FAX thing. I write little HAIKU things and FAX them around to everyone. When I pass people in the hall at work, I get totally ZEN right in everyone's hostile little FACE.

Worker bees can leave

Even drones can fly away

The queen is their slave

Mike Williams
6th October 2003, 23:49
Dude, that is SO me.

Cheers,

Mike (who has just spent an evening teaching a new fella at the dojo, and is quite proud of the new badass, sorry, ZEN, image)

TenguAteMyPuppy
7th October 2003, 00:14
I would do that but I have a) no visible facial injuries and b) they would probably just fire me since it's only a call centre. :(

Rogier
7th October 2003, 08:04
people at work are quite used to me walking around with either:

1. bruises
2. scratches
3. a slight limp
4. crutches
5. bandages

etc.

You think of it... I've probably had it.. and my colleagues, family and friends have seen it :D

monkeyboy_ssj
7th October 2003, 16:22
I've broken my nose so many times i've lost count, at least a black eye every month, fat lip every week...

People are just used to it at my work now. I think they do think I'm in a sort of fight club, And that's why when i ask for a pay rise i get a pay rise :D

I just say, "I walked into a door" and then the work colleges go "Nah! you got your !!! kicked at martial arts last night! aaahhh!"

I say fair enough and then get the closest personin and arm bar ;)

Cheers

What actually happened? someone lump you at practice or bad fall?

larsen_huw
7th October 2003, 16:36
I've only once had a visible injury. I was in the 6th form at the time (that's 17-18 years old to you yanks), and one time at training i just wasn't concentrating when i was punching the bag, and my wrist collapsed on impact. Was really painful so i went to the hospital, and they told me i had sprained it, and gave me some strapping for it.

Turning up at school with strapping round my right wrist made the the butt of several w**nker jokes!!!! :laugh:

Mike Williams
8th October 2003, 11:17
Originally posted by monkeyboy_ssj
What actually happened? someone lump you at practice or bad fall?

A couple of unintentional (I think :D ) elbows, and then a shin to the mush during groundwork sparring.

Cheers,

Mike

monkeyboy_ssj
8th October 2003, 11:22
Originally posted by Mike Williams
A couple of unintentional (I think :D ) elbows, and then a shin to the mush during groundwork sparring.

Was it one of those shiners that grows 10x by the morning? I remember once i got booted in the elbowed and eyebrow and looked like a caveman for a couple of days...people at work called me "Ugg" for a couple of days and kept on asking if i'd envented fire yet...

I hate those B****ds!

Cheers

Mike Williams
8th October 2003, 17:05
It hasn't grown, but it is getting more vivid and colourful and darker. I am taking SO much abuse from my colleagues it's untrue.

The split lip and scabby nose just add fuel to their fire. You'd think they'd be scared of me, and show me some respect, but oh no. :rolleyes: :D

Cheers,

Mike

monkeyboy_ssj
8th October 2003, 17:16
Originally posted by Mike Williams
It hasn't grown, but it is getting more vivid and colourful and darker. I am taking SO much abuse from my colleagues it's untrue.

The split lip and scabby nose just add fuel to their fire. You'd think they'd be scared of me, and show me some respect, but oh no. :rolleyes: :D

Get one in an Armbar, they soon learn to respect their betters :D

Margaret Lo
8th October 2003, 19:08
When I was on the T in Beantown, people use to look at me with sympathy and shoot my guy friend from the dojo dirty looks. Look look he's beating her!!! Now lady there's help available for you..... :D

M

Tami
8th October 2003, 19:36
More than once I have been to a new doctor and when they see bruises on my arm or leg they start with the "So, where did you get that? How are things at home?" questions. :p

budojill
12th October 2003, 20:46
Yeah, I found a double incentive to stop blocking punches with my face, for which my husband is grateful.

However, I find that white scrubs show off the bruises and splits on the hands & arms nicely. :rolleyes: Personally, I've always found the beat-up look attractive in men. :D

fifthchamber
14th October 2003, 13:59
Hiya Mike.
Well....I usually claim that it's from an abusive lover...Gets some GREAT sympathy...And also makes people think you could be into S&M...Which isn't always as bad as it seems....Although you do tend to attract a stranger type of friend like that..:eek:
Although it's usually bruises that are in the shape of fingers..Five clearly seperated digits...And it's hard to claim that I fell over and got em'.....:mad:
Arnica cream really works well for me to clear up darker bruises though...Applied quick enough anyway....Have you tried that at all?
Regards..

StanLee
14th October 2003, 14:37
There's also Tiger Balm (from Shanghai) as advertised in the back of Top Sante.

Erm, I only read because someone else buys it...

monkeyboy_ssj
14th October 2003, 14:38
YOu can get tiger balm from most martial arts shops like Shaolin Way and playwell.

Great stuff...smells abit though...

Mike Williams
14th October 2003, 14:49
Arnica did bugger-all. Haven't tried tiger balm.

As to the S&M thing, well some of my colleagues already have their suspicions... :D :cool:

Jill, Tami, Margaret: my ex used to train with me (eventually gave up due to injury), but she too had to endure the inquisition every time she went to the doctors with visible bruises. When she told the truth, they still gave her weird looks.

Cheers,

Mike

Soulend
14th October 2003, 15:24
Isn't Tiger Balm for sore muscles? Didn't know it would do anything for bruises.

One good thing for swelling is Preparation H - yeah, yeah, I know. Preparation H works for it's intended purpose because it shrinks tissue, and it will shrink swelling nearly anywhere. Just don't get the stuff in your eyes...

Mike Williams
14th October 2003, 15:51
Originally posted by Soulend
Just don't get the stuff in your eyes...

Cos you'd feel like such an a$$hole! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers,

Mike