PDA

View Full Version : Basic Question--sorry!

CED
5th October 2003, 21:26
Hi All,

sorry to bug you guys with this basic question, but i am not a student of Ninjutsu. i was flipping through the book "The Mystic Arts of the Ninja" by Stephen K. Hayes, and on the Acknowledgment page there is a picture of Mr. Hayes with his wife and instructor Grandmaster Hatsumi. I noticed that on both Mr. Hayes' gi and Grandmaster Hatsumi's gi there are several Japanese words or letters written on them. Mr. Hayes seems to have them on the outside flap of his gi and some on his belt. Grandmaster Hatsumi also has them on the outside flap but also on his chest and left shoulder. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum might know what these mean and or represent?

again, sorry for the "basic" question.

Thanks

CED

pacman2323
6th October 2003, 01:17
Hi I think your talking about the bottom part of Hayes belt it says Shidoshi. On Hatsumi Dogi it says Bushin or Bujin.
While were on the subject guess was Ashida Kims belt says.
White rabbit big brother I guess because he is a jackass lol
-Chihiro Jonesone

CED
6th October 2003, 01:53
Thanks,

But actually in this picture there is a distinct embroiding on both Shidoshi' Hayes gi flap and Soke Hatsumi's Flap and left shoulder. i was just wondering what all that meant.

thanks for the intel though.....
be safe

CED

pacman2323
6th October 2003, 02:35
But actually in this picture there is a distinct embroiding on both Shidoshi' Hayes gi flap and Soke Hatsumi's Flap and left shoulder. i was just wondering what all that meant. I am sorry the bottom of the Dogi says Shidoshi.Hatsumi dogi says Bujin.
on the lower shoulder on Hatsumi I am guessing is the kanji so.The belts I can't read maybe if it was in color I could oh well.
-Chihiro Jonesone

kabutoki
6th October 2003, 17:32
hi,
the kanji on hatsumis sleeve is shû/sô or mitamaya along with other readings. it´s the sô like in sôke. i can´t see any other kanji on his sleeve.
sorry

karsten

Onmitsu
6th October 2003, 20:04
CED,
Welcome to e-budo. Please follow the forum rules and sign your posts with your real first and last name. While I realize you may be embarrassed about asking what you feel is a "basic question" it is still important to address your peers and elders in an honest and forthright manner. Thanks.:)

Let us know if you have problems getting your signature line to work.

kabutoki
6th October 2003, 22:26
found something else i guess:
the character above the shidôshi on hayes dôgi seems to be a katakana "su" like in "heisu" the transcription of his name in japanese. i think it says the same on his belt on the left side.
there is also a character with the radical "kokoro" or heart and the most popular one would be "nin", perhaps it says "ninpô"...

karsten

poryu
7th October 2003, 07:59
Hi

On Hayes you can read on his jacket under his belt the kanji for shidoshi Žm“¹Žt, I would say above it is his name. To the side as Karsten stated you can see the radical for Kokoro ?S which can be found in the kanji for Gakure ‰B (bottom right of the kanji), which makes up part of the name Togakure Ryu ŒË‰B—¬ (shame on you Karsten for not guessing this one) On Hayes belt at the bottom it reads Ninpo ”E–@. Here I am guessing that side of his belt will read Togakure Ryu Ninpo ŒË‰B—¬”E–@ (which was common for belts in the 80?fs) the other side of his belt will have his name on it

Hatsumi on his sleeve has Soke ?@‰Æ, on his chest he has Bujin •??_, and under his belt it reads Haku Ryu O ”’—´‰¥ (Venerable white dragon) which was his warrior name back then

(Not sure if the kanji will display if it don?ft you just get lots of crap mixed in with this message)

kabutoki
7th October 2003, 09:43
hi paul,
sorry, i´m new to csi :D you may be right.
and there is a lot of crap mixed in.

karsten

poryu
7th October 2003, 10:42
Hi Karsten

I can see the kanji.

if there is crap then I suggest if you use IE that you click View at the top of the screen, then 'encoding' then select 'Japanese (Shift JIS)'

you should be able to see it then

kabutoki
7th October 2003, 11:00
it´s... a miracle... i can see ... I CAN SEE !
:cool:

poryu
7th October 2003, 11:05
Hey Karsten

did you check my kanji - was it correct

:look:

kabutoki
7th October 2003, 16:56
paul,
they look allright to me.

karsten

CED
7th October 2003, 23:32
Thanks Guy for the intel. i really am grateful! sorry so slow on my reply's i have been out of the country for a bit for work-- thanks again!

sorry Mr. Caplinger for the bad monors and not leaving my name.

take care all.

Charles Desantis

CED
7th October 2003, 23:34
let me please say that i am sorry again!! this time for bad typing skills and poor spelling. what i ment to say was:

Thanks Guys for the intel. and i am very sorry for not leaving my name.

i think i got it this time

be safe all,

Charles Desantis