PDA

View Full Version : Rakan-Ken

Iron Chef
7th October 2003, 14:52
Hello

I think I have a simple question but since I don't really know what I'm asking here I guess I could be wrong about that.

In Goju Ryu numeric symbolism plays a part in the naming of our kata. This symbolism has either , Buddhist or Taoist underpinnings or possible both because it may be an amalgamation of various influences. My sensei tries to touch on this a little bit in one of his book’s. We have a kata called Seipai which refers to the Chinese name for the number 18. Yamakura Sensei makes reference to something called the ‘18 Rakan-ken’. I believe this is a Shorinji Kempo thing. But I am not positive. Sensei may referring to Chinese Shaolin because he can read Chinese text but to my knowlegde he only speaks Japanese and English so maybe he is using a Japanese word for Shaolin, But I think he is making reference to Shorinji Kempo. I have no idea what ‘18 Rakan-ken’ is and I was wondering if someone could help explain to me what this is. I think it refers to monk fist but I don’t know if these are a set of 18 forms or 18 fists of the hand. Maybe the passage in his book would make a little more sense to me if I knew what the 18 Rakan-Ken were a reference too. Thanks for your support.

David Dunn
7th October 2003, 16:14
Chef, there is a family of Shorinji Kempo hokei called 'rakan ken', the name coming (I believe) from 'arahan no ken'. It translates as the 'fist of Buddha's disciples'. There are 48 hokei in the family, and they are defences against clothing grabs, or more strictly against attempted grappling techniques such as jujutsu style nage waza. Senior students (i.e. not me) are taught a further 35 Rakan Appo hokei, which are vital point waza.

I'm not sure what the 18 is.

Kari MakiKuutti
7th October 2003, 16:41
My understanding of Shorinji Kempo's Rakan ken family is similar to David's description.

These techniques are not like kata (meaning that you can practice them by yourself) but are all trained with a partner, impossible to understand or to learn to apply in single form.

I do not see the connection with Iron Chefs description of 18 Rakan-ken (kata?) and our tehcniques of Rakan ken.
Of course it could just be the name that is similar.

Kari

Iron Chef
7th October 2003, 18:15
Thanks alot. I am pretty sure that sensei is writing about Chinese Shaolin but he uses the Japanese pronunciations for everything. This was throwing me off because I know sensei has some Shorinji Kempo background. I see later in the book he writes about things that happened in Shorinji in the 1870's. I have the pages from his book scaned into pdf's If I can capture the text out of my pdf files I may post some of what he is talking about if anybody is interested. The connection to kata Seipai is only in reference to numerical symbolism.

shugyosha
7th October 2003, 20:39
he was probably refering to the 18 original arahan exercises (18 rakan ken) wich combine strikes and blocks with partner.
rakan ken in shorinji kempo is totaly different because it is mainly grapling and joint locking technics practice with partner so it does not come from the 18 rakan ken and wont help you for karate

I see later in the book he writes about things that happened in Shorinji in the 1870's.

but! shorinji kempo did not exist at this time, it was created after the war when so doshin went back from china.

your sensei must refer to some earlier shorinji ryu karate (there are different ones

Iron Chef
7th October 2003, 21:13
Originally posted by shugyosha
he was probably refering to the 18 original arahan exercises (18 rakan ken) wich combine strikes and blocks with partner.

Yes I believe he was. This becomes more evident in Chapter 3 when he writes somemore about Shorin-ji. In addition to Rakan Ken he discusses exercises he refers to as Ekkin Kyo and Senzui Kyo and background legends regarding Daruma.

Thanks again everybody for your responses and your e-hospitality.

Tripitaka of AA
7th October 2003, 21:19
A Japanese reference to "Shorinji in the 1870s" is a reference to the Shaolin Temple in the 1870s. Shorinji is the Japanese pronunciation for the Chinese characters (Kanji) that are translated into English as "Shaolin Temple". Whether the quoted references are to one of the Japanese Karate system that also take their name from Shaolin is the next question... Shorinji Ryu, etc.

Tripitaka of AA
7th October 2003, 21:24
Oh, you beat me to the response.

Interesting stuff though chaps. I imagine it suggests that your Sensei was fairly highly ranked in Shorinji Kempo,.... or that my knowledge is pitifully small (the stuff about Rakan Ken is news to me :( ).

Iron Chef
7th October 2003, 21:26
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
...Whether the quoted references are to one of the Japanese Karate system that also take their name from Shaolin is the next question... Shorinji Ryu, etc.

No it is a reference to the temple because in Chapter 3 there is mention of a wall paintings in the shorin-ji depicting the 500 Rakan( notes that 500 may not be the actual number of Rakan but a way of saying a great many Rakan)

Iron Chef
7th October 2003, 21:45
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
..... I imagine it suggests that your Sensei was fairly highly ranked in Shorinji Kempo,....

I don't think he would have been too highly ranked. He left Tokyo in his mid 20's and he was still primarily a karate guy then back then(1966 or 1967). Tokyo is where he studied Shorinji Kempo. He has achieved advanced ranks in Goju Ryu and Uechi Ryu karate. He had friends who were Shorinji Kenshi. I think this was just a matter of me confusing his writing about Chinese Shaolin with Japanese Shorinji Kempo. I guess I should have read the entire book first.

David Dunn
8th October 2003, 00:14
This interweb is pretty useful I reckon. The Chinese pronunciation of 'rakan' is 'lohan'. There were eighteen of Buddha's disciples, shown here (http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/lohans.htm) In Japan there appear to have been only sixteen of Buddha's disciples (e.g. here (http://www.khandro.net/deities_arhats.htm)).

Buddha's disciples are of course those who have achieved enlightenment.

Any info about Lohan/Rakan and connections with martial arts schools would be welcome.