PDA

View Full Version : MOVIE: Seoi nage by Uyenishi

John Lindsey
4th June 2000, 18:18
<center> http://www.e-budo.com/pics/jumovie.gif </center>

I made this from the pictures in Uyenishi's "Textbook of Jujutsu" book. Since the pics were really a series of movie frames, I decided to convert them into an animated GIF to bring the old Master back to life!

Ok, this is the finished version. If you want to put it on your website, I would ask that you mention that it came from E-budo and put a link to us here .

[This message has been edited by John Lindsey (edited 06-04-2000).]

Kolschey
4th June 2000, 19:07
How did you do that? Did you use Adobe Premiere?

------------------
Krzysztof M. Mathews
" For I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me"
-Rudyard Kipling

John Lindsey
4th June 2000, 20:56
I used photoshop 5.5 to cut the frames out and saved them as layers. Then, went into Imageready (part of 5.5)and turned it into an animated GIF. Took about an hour to do this much, but I am trying to speed up the process. There are 12 such "films" in the book and if anyone wants to help, let me know....

4th June 2000, 23:37
I don't think I would be much help, but I am looking forward to the results of your efforts. This is really great stuff. I just wish I was as adept as you in using Adobe photoshop.
Sincerely,

Don "The only person banned from Budoseek" Cunningham

TommyK
5th June 2000, 00:57
John,

AMAZING!!! I'm impressed! This also answers a question I posited just before E-Budo went down: How are the hands positioned on 'Morote Seoi-nage'? Thanks so much!

Regards,
TommyK

------------------
Tommy K. Militello

John Lindsey
5th June 2000, 01:26
Glad to see this is popular http://216.10.1.92/ubb/smile.gif. BTW, notice at the end how he steps out slightly with his right foot? I wonder if that is to catch his balance or what? Any ideas?

Kolschey
5th June 2000, 02:03
Very impressive! I reckoned it for a Premiere project, as I have done a similar thing with a combination of Photoshop and Premiere, where I progressively modified a series of images with filters and then strung them together with Premiere to create a special effect for a short animated film.
This gives me a new appreciation for the capabilities of Photoshop and Imageready. Great work!

------------------
Krzysztof M. Mathews
" For I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me"
-Rudyard Kipling

sean_stonehart
5th June 2000, 05:10
That's really cool!! John, good job!!!

------------------
The Wise don't obey useless laws.
-- Lao Tzu

Brently Keen
5th June 2000, 07:16
Cool, John!

I figure it's not a textbook perfect throw and so the extra step is to regain his balance. Notice he almost stumbles a bit.

Keep up the good work!

Brently Keen

Paul Mathews
5th June 2000, 14:57
John,
Great addition to the E-Budo repertoire!!

Given 1)that the throw was demonstrated at less than full speed and 2) that the uke is so much taller and appears to be slowing his fall by arching out more, he is probably forced to take that step to maintain his balance.

Paul L. Mathews

Troy Wideman
5th June 2000, 15:25
John,

You amaze me sometimes with your mastery of computer technology. Your going to have to teach me some of that ooohhhh obione, hahahha. To try to answer the extra question about the extra step, I think it is basically what everyone else stated. When I whatched the film closely, he takes the extra step just as the Uke weight is about to bear down on him from the throw. Thus making his stance wider so he can keep his balance.

Nice work John!

Troy Wideman

Mark Jakabcsin
5th June 2000, 16:41
"BTW, notice at the end how he steps out slightly with his right foot? I wonder if that is to catch his balance or what? Any ideas?"

Notice the position of his right heel and how all of the weight is on the heel. I am sure the step is to gain balance and am equally sure this was caused due to the photo operation. I assume that he was doing the throw slowly so that the pictures could be taken and know from experience that maintaing proper balance while doing a throw slowly is very difficult. Thanks for sharing John, really cool.

mark

Bob Steinkraus
5th June 2000, 18:02
Too cool for words! The more of these you can come up with, the better.

Thanks!

Regards,
Bob Steinkraus

Nathan Scott
5th June 2000, 19:01
Hey John-san,

If you ever want work in film animation, let me know. We're always looking for likely sucke... talent!

My vote, based off the slo-mo version as the gif was loading, is also that shite was pulled off balance and stepped to adjust.

I've got a few other books I'd like to send you to "animate" for us! Now if you can just get paid for it, right?

Regards,

------------------
Nathan Scott
Shinkendo & Aiki Buken Honbu dojo (http://www.shinkendo.com)
Tsuki Kage dojo (http://www.tsuki-kage.com)
Japanese Sword Arts Discussion Forum (http://www.swordforum.com/jsa)

Mitch Saret
6th June 2000, 04:27
That was fun, John. I could look at all those you have time to make!

I agree with what others have said about the step. When demonstrating a throw slowly, it is often difficult, if not impossible, to be perfect. As for the uke landing on his feet, it is just another type of breakfall. Watch some professional wrestlers, many breakfall by landing with flat feet and their back at the same time. It is way to spread the impact over more of an area.

Now, to respond to Tom's question,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TommyK:
How are the hands positioned on 'Morote Seoi-nage'? Thanks so much!

The hand (left) at the elbow remains there to guide uke in the right direction. The hand on the lapel (right) also remains there. As the turn is made the right elbow turns between uke and tori, coming up under uke's armpit. You can see it coming out in the clip. It's sort of an extra platform to keep uke from sliding off the shoulder instead of going over, a problem with taller or heavier uke.

------------------
With respect,

Mitch Saret

Brently Keen
6th June 2000, 04:51
If he was demonstrating the throw slowly for the purpose of taking step by step photos, then that would make sense that he lost his balance because of doing it slowly. But didn't John say the photo's were originally movie frames? If so, he wouldn't of had to demonstrate the throw slowly, he could've done it fast just as well. I guess we'll never know. He obviously had to take the step to correct or adjust his balance though. Good observations everyone.

When do we get to see the next one, John? How about showing us the sequenced (still) frames too? That way we can see just how much photoshop "magic" went into this great little animated clip.

Still impressed,

Brently Keen

MarkF
8th June 2000, 10:49
Brently,
On my screen, it did start out by showing the slides individually, although I am sure it is loaded now and will not do it again. This is really a nice demonstration considering it was done as a photo sequence. I have tried that at my dojo a long time ago, but was unsuccesful. Instead, I got, what appears to be at least two different and distinct throws. The extra step I believe is taken so that uke indeed does not roll off to the side. If you notice, tori lowers his hips once while loading, and again in an attempt to show the technique of lowering one's hips. I think if he had stepped in further (this is only to say if it had been a realtime movie), then step backwards instead of the extra step forward, it would be completed much nore easily and in a tighter circle. After loading uke, this back ward step will continue your balance as uke falls over the shoulder. But uke being so tall, makes it unusually difficult, but the off balance looks more as if uke is off-balancing himself with tori having excellent timing. Man, I would love to see more of this! Nice stuff, John!

------------------
Mark F. Feigenbaum

MarkF
9th June 2000, 09:35
Of course it was rehearsed, and I am sure uke had taken throws before. In the old days, landing feet first like that could be the difference in a match continuing or not. In case no one has noticed, the are wearing old style, but newer judo-type uwagi. This is a jujutsu throw, but these guys are judoka. Uke is definitly taking a step toward tori to begin this throw, thus negating the need to be off-balanced (kuzushi). His height speaks volumes as to the difficulty in that much of a height difference, even to someone just over five feet tall (me!). Still, I love this discussion and the pic. I can't wait to see more.

BTW: At least I am not the only one who was wondering if it was a wooden floor (if suspended, it is a "soft" surface). However, I am not so sure today. It seems if you concentrate on the feet of tori, they appear to sink a little, suggesting a tatami of sorts, but it is still a guess.

------------------
Mark F. Feigenbaum

MarkF
17th June 2000, 10:41
I really don't want to make an argument out of this, especially since it is so precious, but these guys are judoka, simply based on the dogi. If one were to do seoinage, and call it jujutsu, it would have been done "naked." Instead of grabbing dogi, a jujutsuka would be grabbing the arm/wrist with the let arm, and jabbing his right forearm into the armpit of uke. This is how one would do it in the practical manner if attacked. Most do not walk the streets wearing dogi, especially with no pants on http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Mark F. Feigenbaum

John Lindsey
22nd April 2001, 05:14
Just thought I would bump this to the front of the forum in case our new members missed it. I still need to make the other videos...if I ever have any free time :).

Clubbed
22nd April 2001, 14:48
Brother, i like what you have done, and i would be glad to help you with animations. You took an hour? I could be 10 mins =) Just message me. Btw i am new to Martial arts, and it seems rather interesting.

Kias. =)

dakotajudo
4th May 2001, 16:37
Originally posted by MarkF
Of course it was rehearsed, and I am sure uke had taken throws before. In the old days, landing feet first like that could be the difference in a match continuing or not. In case no one has noticed, the are wearing old style, but newer judo-type uwagi. This is a jujutsu throw, but these guys are judoka. Uke is definitly taking a step toward tori to begin this throw, thus negating the need to be off-balanced (kuzushi). His height speaks volumes as to the difficulty in that much of a height difference, even to someone just over five feet tall (me!). Still, I love this discussion and the pic. I can't wait to see more.

------------------
Mark F. Feigenbaum

The book is title a jujutsu book (Textbook of Jujutsu by Uyenishi), but was published in the early part of the century in Britain. I think Uyenishi may have been a student at the Kodokan, but not until after the book was published.

As to the rest of the animations, John, I got the book a couple months back and have been meaning to scan them in to do just that. If you have the images scanned (I don't have a scanner) I can work on the conversion.

Peter

John Lindsey
10th October 2003, 03:43
bump.

Anyone interested in seeing the other photos converted?

Steve Delaney
10th October 2003, 04:20
Yes please.

PeteBoyes
10th October 2003, 06:48
Yes please too !

don
10th October 2003, 17:23
Originally posted by John Lindsey
Anyone interested in seeing the other photos converted?

I'll join the chorus about how cool it is, and yes, I'd like to see more.

A question: Does anyone else find that the clip goes so fast it's hard to follow?

--Is there some way to slow it down?

--Is it possible to double the number of PS layers to do this for the GIF Player?

Thanks.

elder999
10th October 2003, 18:32
More would be cool. I missed this the first time....

Kuckelikuu-ryu
11th October 2003, 13:43
Great work John.
If you look more carefully into most books itīs not that diffucult to spot alot of bad balance. When you make a movie like this one it really shows. The uke looks a bit stiff in his breakfall technique too.

Neil Hawkins
13th October 2003, 08:33
Don,

The usual questions, what type of browser, web connection, OS and Processor?

The sequence works fine for me in M$ Internet Explorer 6.0, however it does play very fast if I download it and play it in Photo-Paint 8.0. Some PC's will refresh animated images at 3 frames a second, whilst others will do it at 10 frames a second, I have not been able to find a way of adjusting the way a Gif is viewed on a specific PC.

However, if you do save it and have a suitable editor you can increase the size of the image which will slow down the playback. You cannot modify the image in anyway, but you can view it frame by frame.

Not really a lot of help I know, sorry.

BTW. John, add me to the yes pile! Also, frame 23 seems to be out of sequence if you view this frame by frame or really slowly.

Neil

don
13th October 2003, 19:44
Originally posted by Neil Hawkins
The usual questions, what type of browser, web connection, OS and Processor?

However, if you do save it and have a suitable editor you can increase the size of the image which will slow down the playback.

Of course. No matter how long I'm on these machines, I always forget this. I'll try playing with it in an editor. Thanks. And thanks for the upload in the first place; it IS cool.

Mike Williams
13th October 2003, 22:33
Very cool video - hope the rest follow soon, John!

Is uke hitting the ground flat-footed or heels first in the vid? An old training partner of mine once cracked her heel-bone doing that. Ouch.

Cheers,

Mike