PDA

View Full Version : Sword Use of Samurai

Leitbur
9th October 2003, 07:29
Hello,

I recently purchased a display 3-piece samurai set made up of a katana, wakazashi, and tanta (looks really nice I might add). The other day a few friends stopped by to take a look at them, and inquired what the purpose for each of these swords was. Honestly, other than the katana itself I was rather clueless on this, but it got me really interested in finding out exactly. So I was wondering if anyone out there might have an answer for this. What I'd like to know specifically is their combat use, as well as perhaps any civil or ritual use they might have served, and if possible even any interchangeability between the three in all above areas (I know it's rather detailed, but when I want to understand something I take want to get the full picture). Any help would be much appreciated.

Eric Whims

Soulend
9th October 2003, 21:06
The katana, as you know, was of course the main sword and usually worn only out of doors. The wakizashi was worn or carried pretty much all the time. It could be used alone or in conjunction with(nito) the katana. The tanto was sometimes carried in place of the wakizashi, especially on the street as it is a bit more convenient to wear. I liken their wear and use to the modern soldier's rifle, pistol, and combat knife..though this analogy is admittedly a bit flawed. Wearing two swords was the mark of the professional warrior class, like the modern officer or SNCO's pistol, as at various times commoners were permitted only the wakizashi, or no arms whatsoever.

The primary use (apart from being a "badge of authority") of all was combat, although the wakizashi or tanto was also used to commit seppuku if the occasion arose. I mention this only because some seem to believe that the aforementioned swords were mainly "harakiri knives".

Of course, customs differed from era to era and from clan to clan but this is my general understanding. If I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me.

Shimura
11th October 2003, 15:15
Very good points, and I agree on all them. Also to my understanding the tanto was used when grappling in armor (kumi uchi) in order to get into weak points and kill your adversary, and the wakizashi could be used as a standby weapon when one's katana was damaged or lost during combat.

Brian Owens
11th October 2003, 21:21
Katana, Wakizashi, Tanto.

What I'd like to know specifically is their combat use, as well as perhaps any civil or ritual use they might have served, and if possible even any interchangeability between the three in all above areas (I know it's rather detailed, but when I want to understand something I take want to get the full picture). Any help would be much appreciated.

An intriguing field of inquiry, indeed!

Depending on the point in history, there are actually many more types of "samurai sword" than just these three. Sometimes there are multiple names for the same type, sometimes the same name describes different types, etc.

Tsurugi, tachi, uchigatana, nodachi, odachi, kodachi, daito, shoto, daisho (the two sword matched set), kabutowari, yoroidoshi, etc.

If you are really interested, there are many books available on the subject. Donn Draeger's Classical Bujutsu is one of the classics; also Stephen Turnbull has a nicely illustrated book.

For insight into how swords are made, try The Craft of the Japanese Sword by Kapp, Kapp, & Yoshihara.

You've only seen the tip of the iceberg. You may find the search for the rest of the story to become a lifelong passion.